GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When is the REFRESHED 2018 Golf/GTI available stateside?

GGambitX07

So, yay, we have pricing and a press release kit, coupled with rumors of R's arriving in port with the GTIs. Question is, when do they hit lots. I'm not about to wait until February lol. It's unheard of for a new year model to come out in said year I feel. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
So, yay, we have pricing and a press release kit, coupled with rumors of R's arriving in port with the GTIs. Question is, when do they hit lots. I'm not about to wait until February lol. It's unheard of for a new year model to come out in said year I feel. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I think I read over on The Other Forum that the first year of the R didn't actually come out until April of that year. (could be wrong on that).

I actually got an email from my dealer this morning, citing the VWVortex article about the R. Which goes to show you how much VWofA keep them in the loop. But with that being out there now, I think the next 2-3 weeks they'll start showing up.

The BIG question though, is what sort of quantity. Will dealers get a couple of them (to satisfy their "waiting lists" and maybe one or two for the lot) or will they be more readily available for once?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Now if they would just put the damn configurator for 2018 Golfs on the US site...

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
My dealer told me that they are allotted a certain number of Golf Rs a year and they have no control over the color, trim level, or transmission.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Over $37k for a GTI Autobahn DSG....yikes

And that's not including any options like monter mats or wheel locks or a first aid kit, which they typically add on (at port)

At that point I would think you'd spring for the R instead @ ~$40k

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

And that's not including any options like monter mats or wheel locks or a first aid kit, which they typically add on (at port)

So basically Autobahn GTIs are in the same no-man's land in America as they've been in Canada?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Discounts and incentives though.

My 2016 GTI stickered only $5k away from an R, but by the time the OTD Price was calculated the gap was $11k.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn

What do you guys think of this article?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/09/vw-golf-comparison-base-gti-r-alltrack/

This guy said the GTI is more fun to drive than the Golf R:

But the [Golf R] feels a bit numb, almost like you're just inputting some commands and letting the car sort out the rest. The steering has virtually no feel, and the suspension, while quite compliant, also feels like it's leaving out a bit of information from the road.

The GTI fixes all of those issues of feeling. The steering is much more talkative, especially as the front tires load up. The suspension isn't as comfortable, but it lets you know the conditions of the pavement better. These tweaks make it much more enjoyable for bombing down back roads. It makes you more involved, more able to enjoy the experience.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
What do you guys think of this article?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/09/vw-golf-comparison-base-gti-r-alltrack/

This guy said the GTI is more fun to drive than the Golf R:
From all the GTI vs. R debates I've seen in forums over the past year, the biggest thing that's brought up is that a GTI is "about 90% (or insert some other high percentage) of what the R is." Next is that the GTI adds "more drama" due to being FWD, whereas the R is more "planted and predictable" because it can send power to the rear wheels when necessary. That "more drama" plays into the "more fun to drive" argument. And of course, the added weight of the R and the bigger turbo (less low-end torque compared to the GTI) are brought up as well.

I don't think much about it, tbh. They're both great cars, and they both have pros and cons, depending on how you want to look at it. It's really up to the buyer to figure out which one suits them and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Because he's not referring to the press kit. As far as I could tell the Autobahn pricing in not given in that link. It is however stated to be $37k Canadian in the youtube link I posted.

Looks like the pricing is listed in the pricing sheet there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PDXoriginal

Anyone see the new LED headlights yet?

Are they at least as bright as the bi xenons? From my own experience it seems leds don't even come close to the output of Bixenons.