GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
So are we giving up on the flash to pass for MK7 lighting package cars? It stinks that I can't signal a truck to move in front of me without putting all of that stress on the HIDs when I flash my high beams during the day time...

Hambert

So are we giving up on the flash to pass for MK7 lighting package cars? It stinks that I can't signal a truck to move in front of me without putting all of that stress on the HIDs when I flash my high beams during the day time...

Im new to HID lights and we are getting our GTI sometime next week or the other. How do FTP work on the MK7 when the HIDs are off during the day? Does the car burst them on? Are they permanently lit but masked out during the day?

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Im new to HID lights and we are getting our GTI sometime next week or the other. How do FTP work on the MK7 when the HIDs are off during the day? Does the car burst them on? Are they permanently lit but masked out during the day?

Hambert, yes if the HIDs are off during the day and you pull the high beam stalk for flash to pass, they fire up the HIDs. Obviously this isn't ideal since it puts a lot of stress on the HIDs, especially if you are firing them repeatedly. I find it so silly that VW decided to put what is essentially a useless LED in the smaller u of the headlight housing :rolleyes:

Hambert

Hambert, yes if the HIDs are off during the day and you pull the high beam stalk for flash to pass, they fire up the HIDs. Obviously this isn't ideal since it puts a lot of stress on the HIDs, especially if you are firing them repeatedly. I find it so silly that VW decided to put what is essentially a useless LED in the smaller u of the headlight housing :rolleyes:

Wow. I can imagine taking the car out off a dark garage will wear the HIDs unnecessarily due to the light sensor turning them on. I think I'll have to manually take the switch out of the AUTO setting while exiting the garage, otherwise my mind won't be in peace :p

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

You do realise they are not using 10year old technology and the new ones do not suffer the same as they used to with momentary flashing someone.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
You do realise they are not using 10year old technology and the new ones do not suffer the same as they used to with momentary flashing someone.

So you're saying that it's not detrimental to the lifespan of the HIDs to flash them a few times in quick succession when they are off to begin with?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Stupid question, can any harm come to summer tires storing them in an outdoor shed? I'd rather not take up floor space in my semi-insulated non-heated garage, as long as they won't be damaged by sitting in 20 degree temps in the shed.

athos56

Ready to race!
Stupid question, can any harm come to summer tires storing them in an outdoor shed? I'd rather not take up floor space in my semi-insulated non-heated garage, as long as they won't be damaged by sitting in 20 degree temps in the shed.

I don't know the definitive answer, yet I do distinctly remember reading something about storing them in a warm location. However, you can read a lot of things on the board that are not true.....

My stupid question. I'm planning my tire upgrades and I want to make sure I got my research right. Going from 18" Nogaro wheels with 225/40/18, Going to 17" Neuspeed RSe05. Reducing the wheel size would mean I'd need to get 225/50/17 tires right? To keep the overall (Wheel+tire) diameter the same as stock?

Edit: Another calculator had 225/45/17 closer to the 225/40/18, the 225/45/17 is also the tires that Tirerack displays with the 17" wheel choice...

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

As a general rule, oxidation is what ruins the rubber. Oxidation is accelerated by temperature changes and exposure to air. So the more you limit the air exposure and the more stable the temperature, the less they will oxidize. Climate controlled and covered is ideal, but I'm sure a shed is fine as long as you cover them.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
As a general rule, oxidation is what ruins the rubber. Oxidation is accelerated by temperature changes and exposure to air. So the more you limit the air exposure and the more stable the temperature, the less they will oxidize. Climate controlled and covered is ideal, but I'm sure a shed is fine as long as you cover them.
I'll put them in trash bags and stack them in the garage then. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

I've read that it's best to store summer tires in a climate-controlled environment, as cold temperatures are detrimental to their performance and lifespan. That said, I have stored summer tires in my non-heated, non-insulated garage (it's really just a large shed with a motorized door), and haven't noticed any ill effects.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I've read that it's best to store summer tires in a climate-controlled environment, as cold temperatures are detrimental to their performance and lifespan. That said, I have stored summer tires in my non-heated, non-insulated garage (it's really just a large shed with a motorized door), and haven't noticed any ill effects.
I'll be quoting this when the missus asks why there is a set of wheels in the living room this winter [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk