GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI style exhaust on GTD

aidanmanc

Just wondering what set ups people have for the GTI style exhaust for the GTD, been through two exhaust setups, first went for quad Remus racing rear section as i liked the look of it on pictures i seen but as soon as i put it on i instantly hated it, it looked odd and didn't suit the car at all

so i sent it back for a full refund and then decided to get a custom made cat back straight through exhaust GTI style which i don't like also so i will be looking on selling that if anyone is interested, only got made on the 1/11/17 (will get more pictures when i get the car on a ramp to take it off)

Currently im thinking of getting the cobra exhaust rear section with 4 inch tips

I've wasted enough money now on exhausts and returning items i just want to get it right this time i cant be bothered messing about anymore, if anyone has a GTI style exhaust on their GTD please show me what you have! :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What you have now is almost identical (actually nicer) than the cobra exhaust...other than that clamp. Why don't you like it?

I'd just switch to double wall/rolled edge tips and get a band clamp...keep what you've got and save a pile of money

aidanmanc

What you have now is almost identical (actually nicer) than the cobra exhaust...other than that clamp. Why don't you like it?

I'd just switch to double wall/rolled edge tips and get a band clamp...keep what you've got and save a pile of money

Not a fan of the tips, when i went to get it he said it was 3 inch tips and i asked how big it was in mm and he said 89mm, i thought that was alright because the Remus tips were 84mm, turns out 3inch is only 79mm so i was quite disappointed when i seen it, i asked if the can change it and put 4inch tips but because they have designed it for those tips, 4 inch tips will foul on the bumper so my only option is to sell the whole exhaust, the cobra exhaust is cheaper than the custom so if i can sell it for near enough what i bought it for i wont lose any money

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not a fan of the tips, when i went to get it he said it was 3 inch tips and i asked how big it was in mm and he said 89mm, i thought that was alright because the Remus tips were 84mm, turns out 3inch is only 79mm so i was quite disappointed when i seen it, i asked if the can change it and put 4inch tips but because they have designed it for those tips, 4 inch tips will foul on the bumper so my only option is to sell the whole exhaust, the cobra exhaust is cheaper than the custom so if i can sell it for near enough what i bought it for i wont lose any money

just cut out the tips and weld in the size you want?

This ^^^^

Whatever shop told you they can't cut off those tips and weld on 4" is just lazy. I build exhausts and would gladly take on that >hour job (if you weren't overseas)

Go talk to another shop. What you paid for an axle back doesn't really effect what it's worth. It'll definitely be cheaper to fix vs selling for a loss then re buying

upload image

My single and dual tip options for reference. Both use 3.5" Flowmaster tips ($35 each for the tips)

aidanmanc

This ^^^^

Whatever shop told you they can't cut off those tips and weld on 4" is just lazy. I build exhausts and would gladly take on that >hour job (if you weren't overseas)

Go talk to another shop. What you paid for an axle back doesn't really effect what it's worth. It'll definitely be cheaper to fix vs selling for a loss then re buying

upload image

My single and dual tip options for reference. Both use 3.5" Flowmaster tips ($35 each for the tips)

They told me I’d have to have a brand new rear section made and it would cost an extra £250 I’m not paying that

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
They told me I’d have to have a brand new rear section made and it would cost an extra £250 I’m not paying that

They are a lazy lying exhaust shop then and I would find a different exhaust shop to go to. It seems they are in the business of screwing people over. If the exhaust piping is 3” you buy an exhaust tip that has a 3” inlet with a 4” outlet. Or if the exhaust piping size is 3.5” again you buy exhaust tips that are 3.5 inlet with a 4” outlet. Don’t waste your money buying new a exhaust just because your not happy with the exhaust tips. Go to any other place and tell them you want to put bigger exhaust tips on your car and they will help you out I promise you. It seems you are fairly new to modifying your car and don’t really know how certain things work and they probably realized this and are trying to take advantage of you.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Listen if you want a GTI style diffuser, buy the OEM GTI one it costed me $160 canadian at my local volkswagen dealer and it was a direct bolt on to my bumper. To make it dual as them to remake you an axle back exhaust y pipe with a muffler if you want that and whatever size tips you want. I got quoted $300 canadian for new tips and axle back exhaust but i ended up going a full cutback route because thats what i wanted.

philbeardmore

Hi all, firstly a big hello and apologies for what may seem a dumb question, but does anyone know if a standard GTI exhaust would fit a GTD without any modification (other than needing a new rear diffuser)?

They look identical other than the outlets so my guess is it would fit but not sure if it would cause any issues or not.

It’s purely for aesthetics - I know I won’t get any performance or sound improvements.

Thanks in advance.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi all, firstly a big hello and apologies for what may seem a dumb question, but does anyone know if a standard GTI exhaust would fit a GTD without any modification (other than needing a new rear diffuser)?

They look identical other than the outlets so my guess is it would fit but not sure if it would cause any issues or not.

It’s purely for aesthetics - I know I won’t get any performance or sound improvements.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it should fit the same, if GTD exhaust is also 2.5”

Google mk7 CSS muffler install, it would be the same after swapping the valance

philbeardmore

Cheers Jake - I’ll check the diameter of the pipe tomorrow. I’ve searched through loads of posts on this forum and most exhaust posts are about fitting aftermarkets.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has done it...

Cheers
Phil

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ll dig up a pic, but the oem exhaust should have six dimples marking where to cut for a muffler swap. You cut at the middle set of two on the GTD & gti, swap them out and use a 2.5” clamp (like the one that connects the downpipe to the catback) and that’s it. Very easy diy

philbeardmore

Ah right - so you wouldn’t swap the whole exhaust, just cut the rear section? I’ve seen some on eBay which are just a back box rather than the full exhaust (front muffler, pipe, rear muffler and tailpipes)

Thanks Jake - really appreciate your response

Forgot to say I don’t have the sport and sound package

Mark315

Passed Driver's Ed
I have both a mk7.5 GTD and a mk7 GTD.

The 7.5 has a full Cat-Back Non Resonated Miltek fitted with genuine 7.5 GTI Valance.

The 7 has a standard GTD system with a Mk7 Clubsport S backbox fitted along with a genuine mk7 valance. Worth noting the GTI backbox has a 69mm pipe and you are connecting that to a 59mm pipe on the GTD. A step-down clamp will be needed.