GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB4 R specific thread

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey guys,

I'm running Map2 on my JB4, but keep hitting a safety and the JB4 is reverting back to Map4. I've already emailed George, but figured I'd check in with y'all to see if anyone can spot what's causing the issue. ETA: this Map2 log is a 3rd-4th gear pull starting at roughly 60mph. Should I re-log it from a lower speed?

Datalog: Located Here

Current mods on the Golf R are only 93oct fuel (United States), intake, turbo inlet pipe, cat-back exhaust (stock downpipe).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check AFR/Fuel bias is all set to 100.
Set FOL to 40.

What is boost safety set to?

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Check AFR/Fuel bias is all set to 100.
Set FOL to 40.

What is boost safety set to?

Thanks for the quick response, Diggs!

I haven't changed any of the User Adjustment Settings - I just installed the JB4 and set the map to 2; so Fuel Bias, FOL, and Boost Safety are all zero. I'll make the adjustments you recommended and do some more testing later today.

ETA: Diggs, I'm a dummy. I didn't even realize the JB4 Bluetooth app has a field on the User Adjustment Settings page that lists the last safety hit. The field shows that I was hitting boost over the safety value.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the quick response, Diggs!

I haven't changed any of the User Adjustment Settings - I just installed the JB4 and set the map to 2; so Fuel Bias, FOL, and Boost Safety are all zero. I'll make the adjustments you recommended and do some more testing later today.

ETA: Diggs, I'm a dummy. I didn't even realize the JB4 Bluetooth app has a field on the User Adjustment Settings page that lists the last safety hit. The field shows that I was hitting boost over the safety value.

Emailed you the fix.

On some IOS cars on the first handshake the JB4 values get scrambled up so the JB4 in turn reverts them to 0 making boost safety 0 too which forces the JB4 to basically run in map 4 which is a pass through map.

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Emailed you the fix.

On some IOS cars on the first handshake the JB4 values get scrambled up so the JB4 in turn reverts them to 0 making boost safety 0 too which forces the JB4 to basically run in map 4 which is a pass through map.

Thanks for the awesome support, George. I got your email and saved the values as a baseline. Everything is working smoothly (and fast!) now:)

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
Emailed you the fix.

Not just IOS but happened to me on Android too.. You also helped me fix this about 8 months ago :)

Mjonesjr8

Passed Driver's Ed
i know probably a stupid question but, how big a hole does it leave in the wire you have to tap if you remove it all before a dealer trip? Thanks

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
No. They never go on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daument

Ready to race!
I currently have a jb4 on my mk7 R. I just ordered unitronic stage 2 software and plan on using the jb4 as a meth controller. Do I set the jb4 to map zero to flash or must I unplug it?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I currently have a jb4 on my mk7 R. I just ordered unitronic stage 2 software and plan on using the jb4 as a meth controller. Do I set the jb4 to map zero to flash or must I unplug it?

Set it to map 4 then unplug and flash the car. Then when you plug the OBD again you don't need to remember to put it in map 4. Map 0 can also be used. With the current JB4 firmware its vital the OBD is plugged in because without that signal it will add 4psi going to its safety map. We doing a new version soon where when the OBD is unplugged it will add more boost. There are more and more people stacking so its safer this way in the long run I guess.