GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This run was based on those settings you gave me (and I do appreciate the clutch saving). It wasn't meant as a criticism of the your settings, just a description of how it feels. Reminds me a bit of a VTEC cam kicking in :p

You either linked the wrong log or didn't hit save. At no point does it ever request over 20 and the top is still targeting like 18psi at 6k.

1500 16
2000 17
2500 19
3000 21
3500 21
4000 22
4500 21
5000 19
5500 17
6000 16
6500 15
7000 14

dub_guy

Ready to race!
You either linked the wrong log or didn't hit save. At no point does it ever request over 20 and the top is still targeting like 18psi at 6k.

1500 16
2000 17
2500 19
3000 21
3500 21
4000 22
4500 21
5000 19
5500 17
6000 16
6500 15
7000 14

I'm positive I hit save. It did say saving and then gave me an error about not finding the JB4. When I reconnected and looked at the settings, they did look correct, but it may not have taken.

I'll try again today after work.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
I sent a PM to George as it is something I have been seeing in ROW GTIs (low ECUpsi). Perhaps your GTIs are tuned different than ours in North America. If your car had a similar boost curve to mine you shouldn't have an issue hitting the targets but you are 2-3 psi short and it can't make up the difference.
Cheers Diggs.
Would be interested to learn from his response.

My previous logs on map 1 without the DP looked quite good and meet the target of 4 psi up to around 6k and then slight fluctuations in the 3-4 range after 6k.
Perhaps another set of logs in map 2 might be worthwhile to gain more insight on behavior.

Half related - the JB4 thread states that map 6 is pre set to 5 psi over stock peak (sounds like additive) yet mine came with absolute settings. So which of the wto the stock setting?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Cheers Diggs.
Would be interested to learn from his response.

My previous logs on map 1 without the DP looked quite good and meet the target of 4 psi up to around 6k and then slight fluctuations in the 3-4 range after 6k.
Perhaps another set of logs in map 2 might be worthwhile to gain more insight on behavior.

Half related - the JB4 thread states that map 6 is pre set to 5 psi over stock peak (sounds like additive) yet mine came with absolute settings. So which of the wto the stock setting?

He did respond, and yes ROW GTIs run less boost and more timing.

Map6 is preset absolute and since your ECUpsi is different than ours it won't be +5psi for everyone (and it won't be +5 throughout...also IATs affect ECUpsi).

I don't particularly like map6 that it has default. It is weak down low and too strong up top.

There is good reason why we always say run a log no matter what. Everyone's car is different. Let's look at your last log:

https://datazap.me/u/drmk7il/151020...-3-4-11-18&trim=0&tmin=59.56&tmax=198.39&hg=1

Timing looks good early on for the amount of boost (which makes sense now) but then falters because it's too much boost.

Leave the low rpm as is.

5000 18
5500 16
6000 14
6500 13
7000 12

ashiun

Ready to race!
Ok. Still didnt pull over 6k, but logs are looking much better already. Seems like my car loves additive a ton more than absolute as well.

https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-16-...ity-additive?log=0&data=1-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

AFR Bias 100, Boost safety 27, FOL 50
1500 2
2000 3
2500 4
3000 5
3500 6
4000 7
4500 7
5000 7
5500 7
6000 7
6500 7
7000 6

AFR running a bit lean again, over the 14s. Maybe I should change FOL back to 55? The AFR tap is fine and everything.
Timing corrections in cyl 2-4 all but gone. Less (if any) timing pull at around 5500. I really need to find a road to pull to 6500 to see if my timing advance hits double digits up there.

Interesting to see that my bar and plate CTS turbo stock location intercooler drives around in light traffic at 100+f in 48f ambient, but pulls temps all the way down to 62f under WOT. Still would have liked to see it go below 14F above ambient, but maybe it's not as effective in already cold weather.
I do have one concern though, that I hear some fluttering noises at max boost. I've heard it's normal and happens on stock cars too.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok. Still didnt pull over 6k, but logs are looking much better already. Seems like my car loves additive a ton more than absolute as well.

https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-16-...ity-additive?log=0&data=1-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

AFR Bias 100, Boost safety 27, FOL 50
1500 2
2000 3
2500 4
3000 5
3500 6
4000 7
4500 7
5000 7
5500 7
6000 7
6500 7
7000 6

AFR running a bit lean again, over the 14s. Maybe I should change FOL back to 55? The AFR tap is fine and everything.
Timing corrections in cyl 2-4 all but gone. Less (if any) timing pull at around 5500. I really need to find a road to pull to 6500 to see if my timing advance hits double digits up there.

Interesting to see that my bar and plate CTS turbo stock location intercooler drives around in light traffic at 100+f in 48f ambient, but pulls temps all the way down to 62f under WOT. Still would have liked to see it go below 14F above ambient, but maybe it's not as effective in already cold weather.
I do have one concern though, that I hear some fluttering noises at max boost. I've heard it's normal and happens on stock cars too.

Adjusting the FOL won't make it richer. Is this on the new firmware George has been giving out? Perhaps he is having it run leaner to match the other tuners. It looks good otherwise, but yeah would like to see what it does up near 6k and beyond.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Adjusting the FOL won't make it richer. Is this on the new firmware George has been giving out? Perhaps he is having it run leaner to match the other tuners. It looks good otherwise, but yeah would like to see what it does up near 6k and beyond.

I wasn't aware there was a new firmware, I heard about it but thought it was taking a while to get to VWs. This is on whatever firmware was loaded when I bought the JB4 back in January.

I somehow had my AFR running in the mid 13s with 55 FOL previously. I'll give it a shot and hope for a miracle, at the very least. To my knowledge, running it leaner helps spool faster and for more mid-range power? Is there any noticeable downside to running it lean?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I wasn't aware there was a new firmware, I heard about it but thought it was taking a while to get to VWs. This is on whatever firmware was loaded when I bought the JB4 back in January.

I somehow had my AFR running in the mid 13s with 55 FOL previously. I'll give it a shot and hope for a miracle, at the very least. To my knowledge, running it leaner helps spool faster and for more mid-range power? Is there any noticeable downside to running it lean?

Running it leaner makes more power, but it has to enrichen as you approach redline. If you were still in the 14s at 6k I'd be concerned.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Running it leaner makes more power, but it has to enrichen as you approach redline. If you were still in the 14s at 6k I'd be concerned.

Hmm it was exactly 14 at 5774 RPM. It says 13.4 at the next point in the log but at that point (though my RPMs rose to 5802), I was already off the pedal at this point. +1 to another reason for me to run it to 6500. Damn you 60mph speed limits. I'll see if I can go out at 2AM and get something done about this.

I'm waiting to see what George has to say about my logs.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Think of them as recommendations instead of limits.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Hmm it was exactly 14 at 5774 RPM. It says 13.4 at the next point in the log but at that point (though my RPMs rose to 5802), I was already off the pedal at this point. +1 to another reason for me to run it to 6500. Damn you 60mph speed limits. I'll see if I can go out at 2AM and get something done about this.

I'm waiting to see what George has to say about my logs.

Not sure where in the GTA you are, but most of the 407 on-ramps are usable (at least in my area near the 404, Yonge/Bayview/Leslie). You'll be off the gas before you hit the next off-ramp. Leslie Westbound is a nice straight ramp.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Not sure where in the GTA you are, but most of the 407 on-ramps are usable (at least in my area near the 404, Yonge/Bayview/Leslie). You'll be off the gas before you hit the next off-ramp. Leslie Westbound is a nice straight ramp.

Damn, I had a feeling you were from the GTA when you said your ambient temps were 8c haha. I live in North York and most of my traffic is going downtown. I do go up to Markham occasionally, though it's out of my way, I used to live there.

407 is the tolled highway I mentioned having my best chances at, just haven't had the time to yet. There's more popo than I'd like to run into on the 407 recently, so I think I'll try my luck past midnight one of these days. Actually, now that I think about it there's quite a decent onramp at Leslie going 401 East. Definitely a spot I could hit up late at night or early in the morning. Only problem is there's a slight bump in the road where I -WILL- invariably lose load on my tires and wheelspin. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7659...4!1s7C5ns4pt51kTgxyXLydvWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Logging would suck living in the middle of a big city. Thankfully I have an onramp that is about 3/4 mile long (onramp/offramp combo) that transitions from a 55mph highway to a 70 one. I can hit illegal speeds before I even need to get on the highway which means I can avoid the popo.

I'd like to just confirm that you meant 3/4 mile ramp... you lucky bastard. I'd hit that ramp every time I head out, even on a local grocery run.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Did you log with your new DP yet? Did you post a review or anything about your DP and install? I've had my eye out for it.
Installed on Friday, see the "Which Downpipe" thread in the general forum for comments. No log yet, maybe tonight depending on number of beers consumed by 9pm.

Edit: Here it is http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=522261&postcount=66

The drawback of the one piece design is that it needs to have very good fitment because you don't have much flex at all. I ended up lowering the car with the hanger and midpipe clamp loose so that I could get the downpipe and turbo lined up as close as possible, v-banded them together, then lifted the car back up to tighten the hanger and the midpipe band. It's a functional piece of equipment, but the o2 bung location and fitting were a detraction.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited: