GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes with the best balance

rustywoodstone

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you guys think of the new 034 Cast Stainless Steel Performance Downpipe?

I haven't seen a ton of reviews on this one. I know another user on here. Maybe even in this thread was saying to stay clear of the 034 dp? Not sure why. That was the only bad review. Posted on Reddit and here that I was looking at the unitronic dp and didn't get any feed back. User on reddit gave a nod to HPA dp tho. I checked it out and it looks nice as well. Of the two Uni and HPA the difference I see is the cat. one is 200 cell and one is 300 cell not sure if that makes a difference in sound and smell?

Last edited:

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I haven't seen a ton of reviews on this one. I know another user on here. Maybe even in this thread was saying to stay clear of the 034 dp? Not sure why. That was the only bad review. Posted on Reddit and here that I was looking at the unitronic dp and didn't get any feed back. User on reddit gave a nod to HPA dp tho. I checked it out and it looks nice as well. Of the two Uni and HPA the difference I see is the cat. one is 200 cell and one is 300 cell not sure if that makes a difference in sound and smell?

034 usually has good products so I wonder why they say to stay away from the dp?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
What do you guys think of the new 034 Cast Stainless Steel Performance Downpipe?

Seems really expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustywoodstone

Passed Driver's Ed
034 usually has good products so I wonder why they say to stay away from the dp?

I agree. I thought they had a pretty good rep. I guess someone felt they got burned and is bitter.

Would someone please tell me if a 200 cell cat is louder than say a 300 cell cat? Or can you not really tell a difference.

thnx!

300 cell is going to be quieter.

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
It's cheaper than the AWE and about the same price as a Unitronics. But yes, it's still really expensive.

Maybe that’s why it’s not popular. Isn’t the catted CTS turbo pipe basically the same thing and $499?

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
People willing to throw a grand at a short bent pipe will always amaze me. I’m guessing this is that German tax I’ve heard so much about before buying this car.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
People willing to throw a grand at a short bent pipe will always amaze me. I’m guessing this is that German tax I’ve heard so much about before buying this car.

Exactly what it is. I couldn’t bring myself to spend crazy money for that either. People can get a full exhaust for less than that. Metal tubing is not very expensive. It’s the German tax. Though in this case there are more value conscious options. The real German tax is when you need to replace an in tank fuel pump that’s a dealer only part and costs like $800...

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Exactly what it is. I couldn’t bring myself to spend crazy money for that either. People can get a full exhaust for less than that. Metal tubing is not very expensive. It’s the German tax. Though in this case there are more value conscious options. The real German tax is when you need to replace an in tank fuel pump that’s a dealer only part and costs like $800...

Yes, AWE charges a premium for the product. There is some kind of R&D which goes into every component and its takes time / effort to develop a good product to satisfy the customer. I can vouch on this because i do this for living. Can you call a brake caliper to be a mechanical c-clamp or a Tire to be a piece of molded rubber - answer is Yes but there is a lot more into it. AWE develop and manufacture their products in-house. With this downpipe, they do not have any drone issues and used a good quality cat in their downpipe. Milltek downpipe costs $1050 and the pricing is very comparable with AWE (all of their dealers offer 8% off MSRP).

Case 1: How can you justify spending $1500 (minimum) for a set of 19" wheels for GTI / R when you can buy 19" Ford Performance wheels for a Mustang for $660.
http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdir...ck_Wheel_Set_Gloss_Black_p/m-1007k-m19xgb.htm

Case 2: Why is VW charging $20k for a Jetta and $40k for an A4 even though they share underpinnings and other components. One user had a bad product as mentioned in #62. So can you assure me that i will not have any problem buying an A4 because i paid the premium.

I am not affiliated to AWE. I am just a happy customer, both with their product and customer service. Will i buy their products in the future for a premium, Yes.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yes, AWE charges a premium for the product. There is some kind of R&D which goes into every component and its takes time / effort to develop a good product to satisfy the customer. I can vouch on this because i do this for living. Can you call a brake caliper to be a mechanical c-clamp or a Tire to be a piece of molded rubber - answer is Yes but there is a lot more into it. AWE develop and manufacture their products in-house. With this downpipe, they do not have any drone issues and used a good quality cat in their downpipe. Milltek downpipe costs $1050 and the pricing is very comparable with AWE (all of their dealers offer 8% off MSRP).

Case 1: How can you justify spending $1500 (minimum) for a set of 19" wheels for GTI / R when you can buy 19" Ford Performance wheels for a Mustang for $660.
http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdir...ck_Wheel_Set_Gloss_Black_p/m-1007k-m19xgb.htm

Case 2: Why is VW charging $20k for a Jetta and $40k for an A4 even though they share underpinnings and other components. One user had a bad product as mentioned in #62. So can you assure me that i will not have any problem buying an A4 because i paid the premium.

I am not affiliated to AWE. I am just a happy customer, both with their product and customer service. Will i buy their products in the future for a premium, Yes.

I never said the premium is unjustifiable ;P sometimes paying for the R&D, overhead and brand name is worth it, sometimes it's not. I spent more on CF side skirts than I did on my downpipe. Everyone is a little different, I guess :p

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I never said the premium is unjustifiable ;P sometimes paying for the R&D, overhead and brand name is worth it, sometimes it's not. I spent more on CF side skirts than I did on my downpipe. Everyone is a little different, I guess :p

Its your preference, agreed. Likewise i see nothing wrong with AWE's asking price for the quality of product they are selling.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Can you look at my previous post and give your opinion on case 2.

That's an amazing price for those wheels.

Case 2, yeah I think Audi is worth the brand name premium