GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0

VW might have used Golf to homologate GTI / R in US market. So whatever Golf they sell, might be a bonus to them. And even a $35k 2017 BMW 320s had halogens are standard and lighting package as optional. Its just another way for the manufacturer to milk money from the customer.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0

You mean the limited edition Golf.
Definitely going to hold its value better ;)

Crazy that the GTI outsells the Golf. Believe as of Sept, it was 17000 to 13000.
I chalk it up to if people want an A to B car, the get a sedan (Jetta 90000).
Enthusiasts buy hatchbacks and they get a GTI, expect for a select few.

And for the price, it's definitely NOT lame, just its sales numbers.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Let's face it, hatchbacks aren't big business in the US. Never have been, probably never will. That's why the Jetta outsells the Golf. My brother has a 2013 Jetta GLI and it's nowhere near as sporty or fun to drive as either of my GTi's. Nor do I think it looks as good. It's not a bad car, just a little bland compared to a GTi and the GLI is supposed to be the sporty version of the Jetta.

If they gave the GLI the GTi treatment, they'd probably sell even less GTi's. The GTi, despite fairly good sales numbers in the US, is still a niche car mostly because it's a hatchback. I have always preferred the Golf/GTi to a Jetta/GLI, but many people have an aversion to a hatchback (in the US). If they really tweaked the Jetta GLI to GTi levels it would compete with other higher end sedans from BMW, Mercedes, etc. The Jetta stopped being a "Golf with a trunk" awhile ago.

When people look at a standard Golf and a Jetta they perceive more value in the Jetta since it's a sedan and it's seems more "upscale" and looks like you didn't chince out on a hatchback. The Golf is way more versatile than the Jetta, but most people don't see that in the US.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The GTI likely outsells the Golf in the USA, because people specifically buy the GTI.
It's got a built in market even if it's not a very large one and it's a flagship of sorts for VW.
I wish the Golf would catch on with Americans, but Americans still largely view hatchbacks as econo box/penalty boxes.
Meanwhile they buy SUV's - big hatchbacks - in droves!
I can't speak for other countries, but my observation as an American is that collectively "we" don't let old automotive opinions go.
People repeat the same stuff about the same brands of cars literally decade after decade as if nothing changes.
They will swear off of ever buying a make of car after one bad experience - again - often decades ago, and again under the belief that nothing changes.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Let's face it, hatchbacks aren't big business in the US. Never have been, probably never will. That's why the Jetta outsells the Golf. My brother has a 2013 Jetta GLI and it's nowhere near as sporty or fun to drive as either of my GTi's. Nor do I think it looks as good. It's not a bad car, just a little bland compared to a GTi and the GLI is supposed to be the sporty version of the Jetta.

If they gave the GLI the GTi treatment, they'd probably sell even less GTi's. The GTi, despite fairly good sales numbers in the US, is still a niche car mostly because it's a hatchback. I have always preferred the Golf/GTi to a Jetta/GLI, but many people have an aversion to a hatchback (in the US). If they really tweaked the Jetta GLI to GTi levels it would compete with other higher end sedans from BMW, Mercedes, etc. The Jetta stopped being a "Golf with a trunk" awhile ago.

When people look at a standard Golf and a Jetta they perceive more value in the Jetta since it's a sedan and it's seems more "upscale" and looks like you didn't chince out on a hatchback. The Golf is way more versatile than the Jetta, but most people don't see that in the US.

I tried to convince my friend when he bought his 2015 STI that the Golf R was the better vehicle, but he'd hear none of it, because he won't drive a hatch. Now he's bitching about how women automatically perceive him as a douche due to his gold rims and giant wing. His requirements were power, AWD, manual, and sedan. Didn't really leave him with many options. I'm guessing he'll probably buy another STI if they remodel in 2020 too.

My previous car was a 2014 Forester and with lowering springs and a stiffer rear sway bar its actually not bad at all to drive. Sure it doesn't have much passing power, but the CVT with the 2.5 and ridiculous throttle tip in give it a ton of torque off the line for the first 20ft, making it a pleasure to scoot around town in. Plus I get almost 30mpg in city driving on 87 octane which is nice. The MPG is actually better around town than at 75mph on the highway ha.

Last edited:

dizzyMongoose

Yeah, hatchbacks just aren't popular as a car type in the US. The GTI has its niche as a sporty car, but people will buy a Civic or Corolla sedan before buying a standard Golf, assuming they're even buying a compact and not the more trendy crossover SUVs.

The Golf's more popular in Canada, because hatchbacks are more popular. The Golf is the best selling VW model in Canada, though not as popular as the usual Civics and Corollas, and also Mazda 3s and Elantras. Chevrolet Cruzes sell here too; apparently the sales picked up in Canada after they introduced a hatchback version.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, hatchbacks just aren't popular as a car type in the US. The GTI has its niche as a sporty car, but people will buy a Civic or Corolla sedan before buying a standard Golf, assuming they're even buying a compact and not the more trendy crossover SUVs.

The Golf's more popular in Canada, because hatchbacks are more popular. The Golf is the best selling VW model in Canada, though not as popular as the usual Civics and Corollas, and also Mazda 3s and Elantras. Chevrolet Cruzes sell here too; apparently the sales picked up in Canada after they introduced a hatchback version.

Yeah, American's will get a Civic over a Golf 9 times out of 10.
If you asked them why (reputation for reliability aside) I would guarantee you it's because they believe the Civic is a higher quality car.
Even though compared side to side - it isn't.
It's the hatchback stigma.
Then, when said buyer moves upmarket, they often purchase a hatchback in the form of an SUV. :confused:
And depending on the particular SUV, it might not be a higher quality vehicle than a Golf.
Just larger.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
If you asked them why (reputation for reliability aside) I would guarantee you it's because they believe the Civic is a higher quality car.
Then, when said buyer moves upmarket, they often purchase a hatchback in the form of an SUV. [emoji782]
And depending on the particular SUV, it might not be a higher quality vehicle than a Golf.
Just larger.

Totally missing that VW/Audi also have a reputation of being super unreliable and breaking down, major electrical issues and parts costs being way higher.

I can hardly post about the car on FB without at least one person saying how it’s unreliable etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I said: "Reputation for reliability aside."

alderran1

Ready to race!
Then, when said buyer moves upmarket, they often purchase a hatchback in the form of an SUV. :confused:
Just larger.

You actually believe a golf is as reliable as a civic or a corolla. That’s utterly against all facts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Reliability numbers do have merit, due to the quantity of data points, sure, but really, with VWs and other German cars, I'm pretty sure the folks who actually follow the maintenance schedule and treat their cars well have far, far fewer reliability issues than the idiots who buy German for some reason other than actually wanting that particular car, and then don't do any of the necessary things to maintain the vehicle. It's true though that Japanese cars in general can take a lot more idiot abuse than German cars.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
You actually believe a golf is as reliable as a civic or a corolla. That’s utterly against all facts

Civic yes, corolla no. The Corolla uses old tech 130hp NA motor with their 20yr old 5 sad transmission, large compliance shocks and struts and basic tiny slider brakes.... with that kind of tech I expect it to be as reliable as it has been for ten yrs. The civic on the other hand has a new 1.5T which will have the same issues that any newly designed turbo motor will have.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I said : "Reputation for reliability aside."

bkuu

Passed Driver's Ed
my first owned car was a 2016 GLI. I never had a hatch and didn't see myself driving one cause of the look. When the GLI got totaled, I didn't want another one of the same but I looked at the GTI this time and eventually went with it cause there wasn't anything else I liked that was sporty and fast at my price range. I eventually got over the look and even really enjoy the feel and ride of the car, but sometimes I still think back at my ex GLI..i sure miss her still. I do feel like I ended up the younger sister lol