GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Passat GT is Coming

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Just popped up in 2018 VW Ordering Guide. No pricing yet, scheduled to start production in Dec. Anyone thinking about one of these??

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
For people who don't like driving a plain one. Which should be everyone since the plain ones are soooo ugly.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Pass. Not for me...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
For people who don't like driving a plain one. Which should be everyone since the plain ones are soooo ugly.

Have you seen the "Sport" trim w/ LP?? I honestly think it looks damn good. I think this is gross. Putting "aggressive" accents on full size family sedan is just silly

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Have you seen the "Sport" trim w/ LP?? I honestly think it looks damn good. I think this is gross. Putting "aggressive" accents on full size family sedan is just silly

It's called the R-line ;)

Wife's..
Untitled by Dan W, on Flickr

And then my '17 V6:

It's got a Borla exhaust on it (and some other mods ;)) and the VR6 sounds AMAZING

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

It's got a Borla exhaust on it (and some other mods ;)) and the VR6 sounds AMAZING

Borla is so mellow! Sounds like my old 5 litre Stang. Your wife may want a twin-turbo kit on that...:rolleyes:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion

I hear ya, but it does sort of depend on the car. The Ford Taurus SHO looks pretty bad ass, really, as did the Chevy SS, though both had the chops more or less to go with the looks.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing either the Jetta or the Passat as a choice I'd make in the sedan market. They seem to be fine cars overall, but not really distinct enough to make them a superior choice to, say, an Accord with a manual or a Mazda 6.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Man, seems like the Passat is not very well received around here.

I think they are fantastic cars. Are they the sportiest out there?? No. But they have an absolutely cavernous back seat and truck, good power, are very comfortable and refined, have loads of tech, and are still more than competent in the handling department.

Having driven literally every other car in the segment, the Passat still punches right up there with most, and is better than some, despite it's age. The Accord is a CVT unless you get a Sport. They just dropped the V6 and went to a hideous body style. The Camry is devoid of any emotion and has poor infotainment. The Mazda 6 is overrated. Good (but not great) steering and handling, but expensive, lacking features, and underpowered. The Passat still has plenty of pros going for it.

As for the Sport, I think it looks good, and is a nice send off for this generation. I'm curious to see how far-if at all- it goes beyond cosmetics.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Yeah honestly it was a missed opportunity for so long for them to not offer a more well honed version of the passat. It isnt a bad option for alot of people.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Part of the reason the Passat doesn't get much attention is its looks...it is sort of bland, even more so than usual for German sedans. Seems like a solid car though, certainly.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

And then my '17 V6:

Ahhh i was confusing it with the outgoing, pre-facelift Passat's "Sport" trim which came with 19" wheels.

Can you get a DSG tune for your passat? if so, have you?

The thought of a NA V6 with a DSG is mouthwatering to me. I would love to drive that.

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
I owned two, '12 and '14 both diesels. The boot was huge and was a awesome highway car once you shit canned the noisy Eco tires. I love my R but miss the 800 mile between fill up's.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Borla is so mellow! Sounds like my old 5 litre Stang. Your wife may want a twin-turbo kit on that...:rolleyes:

Yeah it's got a little burble/rumble at idle, and you definitely hear it when you're WOT....I love it

I had the JB1 on the wife's R-line, and it was a nice compromise, but it's back to stock for now.
Only APR has a tune for the 1.8T, and I had it before, it's okay

The auto trans is really the limiting factor on the 1.8T....it can't handle/hold much torque

Ahhh i was confusing it with the outgoing, pre-facelift Passat's "Sport" trim which came with 19" wheels.

Can you get a DSG tune for your passat? if so, have you?

The thought of a NA V6 with a DSG is mouthwatering to me. I would love to drive that.

The DSG & 3.6 is an EXCELLENT combo.
I think there's a DSG tune available, but I don't have it, nor do I feel it really needs it. Maybe if I was adding A LOT more power, it'd be "needed."
But stock, it drives awesome (IMO)

The DSG is definitely more composed/refined with the 3.6 V6 versus a 2.0T w/DSG though.