GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

30psi R's running around?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Anybody else running their R that high here? I was at 29 on a UM tuned R but was just at my tuners, lowering LC boost from 9-10 to 6, and we then bumped boost up from 29 to 30.

Just curious if anybody else has done the same yet, especially if you are UM tuned, just curious, it's only spiking that high but I'm sure that's obvious to most of ya.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Wow 140 views 1 comment. Guess I have my answer lol

Guess all the (stock turbo) UM tuned guys are on vwvortex.

Limited, how do u like that gtx3071??? You do any fueling upgrades?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I don't know where my Stage 2 ED tune peaks but I'm sure its not 30psi. I think it would be outside of its efficiency map for much of the rpm range.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
My understanding, according to UM, seeing as it's only peaking that high, during very early midrange, that it is right at the limits of efficiency but then it bleeds off anyway, like all the tunes do to redline. As the UM cable has just begun becoming available allowing minor adjustments fro home, I was mainly wondering if any other UM customers running their hotter files, which were 28-29psi to begin with (once called their Red file) had bumped theirs up to 30, assuming they already had their newest adjustable file flashed in already.

On the other forum, some others have and have had it done at UM's home shop and had the ability to speak directly with the tuner(s) and felt comfortable enough with their explanation of why 30 was ok now when before 29 was considered the limit.

I've got 2 that are/were flashed with their most aggressive files 29 peak, and bumped the 17, which is more modded up to 30 peak from 29. Have never had an issue on neither running at 29 peak psi, so mainly was just curious if anyone else on this forum has done it also.

But this forum doesn't seem to have many UM tuned R's as the other forums, maybe this forums just a little more conservative lol

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
i looked because i thought you were asking about running with low tire pressure

Oh and lol bud, suppose I could have said boost instead of psi in title :)

613B6

Ready to race!
On the IS38 I was spiking 35psi and falling back to 27 at redline on a custom eurodyne file. Turbo lasted about a month at the level lol.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
On the IS38 I was spiking 35psi and falling back to 27 at redline on a custom eurodyne file. Turbo lasted about a month at the level lol.

LoL, fair enough, I won't push her that far then :)

As I stated before, was really just curious, if other UM customers went up the 1psi or had reasons/info, why to do it, or why not to. I figure 29 spike or 30 spike can't be making that big a difference. All I mean is if she's gonna let go at 30 she'd have let go at 29 also. Guess time will tell, they've been awesome at 29 for 8 months and over a year, respectively.

Just surprised so few UM customers on this forum compared to others forums, but lots of options/competition out there, usually means great things for us all in the end.

Thanks all

613B6

Ready to race!
The tuning company means nothing, but your right, 28+ your on borrowed time.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm stock turbo with a UM tune, honestly don't know what it got set to though, got it flashed and new clutch put in ~3 weeks ago. I'll be going back for a reflash once they release Launch Control and No Lift Shift for the 6mt, I'll see what the shop says about boost levels when I do that.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The tuning company means nothing, but your right, 28+ your on borrowed time.

Well I'd respectfully disagree, I think the tuner is everything imo

And I guess that's what I'm getting at, it seems that the old rule of thumb was exactly that, don't push the is38 over 27, but it seems that, that opinion is changing lately where some tuners have been pushing them harder, really just in the midrange, without catastrophic results. I've just been reading about it allot lately, just figured maybe someone here had more info also. As I've stated before I've got 2 running around at 29 psi since new, one for over a year, the other 8 months, now that one spiking at 30 for one weekend lol

Anyway, appreciate the input/opinions, as always be prepared to pay to play and knock on wood :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Well I'd respectfully disagree, I think the tuner is everything imo

And I guess that's what I'm getting at, it seems that the old rule of thumb was exactly that, don't push the is38 over 27, but it seems that, that opinion is changing lately where some tuners have been pushing them harder, really just in the midrange, without catastrophic results. I've just been reading about it allot lately, just figured maybe someone here had more info also. As I've stated before I've got 2 running around at 29 psi since new, one for over a year, the other 8 months, now that one spiking at 30 for one weekend lol

Anyway, appreciate the input/opinions, as always be prepared to pay to play and knock on wood :)

More boost equals increased turbine speed, which can cause failures. No way to argue that.

Not only would you only see 30psi for a blink of an eye RIGHT in the middle of the surge zone, but you are definitely risking a lot for a turbo to blow flaming hot air because it's out of it's efficiency range. Bringing on boost that fast in the lower RPMs to see 30 psi can cause hard torque spikes...which is what bends rods. That's why most tuners have a more progressive boost request in that range (3-4k). It's not worth the risk.

Also peak boost pressure does not equal more peak power, we really need to dispel that myth. Boost pressure can vary by altitude, outside temp, etc. Tunes look to meet "torque requests" which can be met with lower boost and increased timing, so in many cases better, safer power is found by running race gas or ethanol blends. Additionally with smaller turbos (yes, the IS38 is small) they can't hold peak boost to redline, and you can actually end up with LESS peak HP if you force the turbo out of it's efficiency range earlier in the RPM range. More heat created, less power overall. That's not a good tuning method.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
More boost equals increased turbine speed, which can cause failures. No way to argue that.

Not only would you only see 30psi for a blink of an eye RIGHT in the middle of the surge zone, but you are definitely risking a lot for a turbo to blow flaming hot air because it's out of it's efficiency range. Bringing on boost that fast in the lower RPMs to see 30 psi can cause hard torque spikes...which is what bends rods. That's why most tuners have a more progressive boost request in that range (3-4k). It's not worth the risk.

Also peak boost pressure does not equal more peak power, we really need to dispel that myth. Boost pressure can vary by altitude, outside temp, etc. Tunes look to meet "torque requests" which can be met with lower boost and increased timing, so in many cases better, safer power is found by running race gas or ethanol blends. Additionally with smaller turbos (yes, the IS38 is small) they can't hold peak boost to redline, and you can actually end up with LESS peak HP if you force the turbo out of it's efficiency range earlier in the RPM range. More heat created, less power overall. That's not a good tuning method.

Listen, I get it, this is not my first rodeo. Have owned many forced induction cars in my life.

I'm mearly saying that it would seem as of late, some of those accepted thresholds are being challenged pushed with great results. My personal experience on this platform, 2 R's currently, hasn't spelled the doom an gloom that is perpetuated by many over the years. True tomorrow anything can happen, but so far on not 1 but 2 R's I haven't had a single issue and other brand tuned R customers have only been impressed/pissed, so I think UM knows how to tune these.

Once again, really, I appreciate the information and opinions even if I disagree with some of them. I think it's great that there are so many enthusiasts out there and awesome that there are so many options for us to choose from. It's great to discuss/argue with each other as generally, we are all looking to achieve similar goals.

My main point in starting this thread, was for those already running UM's aggressive tunes, probably set somewhere between 27-29 peak psi, depending when ya were tuned, if ya had bumped it to 30, as there are topics on it in UM threads on other forums, or if you'd bought the cable and adjusted your loaded adjustable file yourself after conversations with Fred etc

I understand that some have always thought that their aggressive files are to aggressive, I'm just not one of them. I have nothing but smiles and great things to say about them personally! But it has become apparent that they are not nearly as popular on this forum as they are on others, no biggie, this thread did teach me that :)

Last edited: