Not open for further replies.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Now I need a spacer and I'm golden.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Anyone have issue with the fitment between the midpipe and stock catback? The midpipe side seems really loose. I might have to buy another coupler or whatever it's called.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Did you move muffler forward?

I ended up having a friend push the muffler towards the front of the car while I tightened the coupler. I also moved the coupler as close as possible to where the midpipe reduces to 2.5" and that seemed to stop the midpipe from wiggling.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Is it proven to help?
In general yes, on the mk7 gti, I don't know.

I have a forge turbo blanket so I was going to install that and also wrap the downpipe. But if it's not worth the effort I certainly won't.

BooTheBear

Passed Driver's Ed
Got it installed. I have the 17' GTI sports (LSD...)
I followed this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiQ1PEs2eM

I ran into a few issues. One being with the LSD, I couldn't pull the down pipe out by itself. I had to take the heat shield off like they did in the video. My heat shield was different and it used a T30ish star bit and 4 small screws. It's pretty difficult to get them out as I was doing them all by touch and couldn't see how many or where they were.

Once OEM downpipe was out, the MAP downpipe went in easily...

2nd issue, the downpipe didn't fit. I'm not sure why but I was unable to have both the downpipe bolted on and get the vband to the turbo to sit flush. It took hours and with two people but it would not fit. The downpipe, hangers, mount, etc. all looked striaght. When it was bolted flush, there was a 10 degree alignment issue and 1/2 a cm height problem. If looking from rear to front of car, the right side of the hanger hole needed to be expanded by a 1/2 of a cm. So I enlarged the hole to allow the downpipe to sit higher. After that, it went on smoothly. Getting the heat shield back on was a pain and I lost a screw... it's stuck somewhere in the LSD housing/support structure. I was a little disappointed in the fitting but not sure if it was the pipe itself or the GTI Sport model.

Few things I learned, it's a lot easier if your car is farther off the ground. The VBand can appear to be on and not be on elsewhere. To sure to double check both sides of the lip to make sure it's covering the flanges. I also needed to pull the muffler forward and then I tightened the band.

It took like 5 hours and of it, 1.5 of it was dealing with the damn heat shield and 2 more was getting the MAP downpipe to fit and ultimately filed/drilled.

Any questions, let me know.

king12sky

Ready to race!
Got it installed. I have the 17' GTI sports (LSD...)
I followed this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiQ1PEs2eM

I ran into a few issues. One being with the LSD, I couldn't pull the down pipe out by itself. I had to take the heat shield off like they did in the video. My heat shield was different and it used a T30ish star bit and 4 small screws. It's pretty difficult to get them out as I was doing them all by touch and couldn't see how many or where they were.

Once OEM downpipe was out, the MAP downpipe went in easily...

2nd issue, the downpipe didn't fit. I'm not sure why but I was unable to have both the downpipe bolted on and get the vband to the turbo to sit flush. It took hours and with two people but it would not fit. The downpipe, hangers, mount, etc. all looked striaght. When it was bolted flush, there was a 10 degree alignment issue and 1/2 a cm height problem. If looking from rear to front of car, the right side of the hanger hole needed to be expanded by a 1/2 of a cm. So I enlarged the hole to allow the downpipe to sit higher. After that, it went on smoothly. Getting the heat shield back on was a pain and I lost a screw... it's stuck somewhere in the LSD housing/support structure. I was a little disappointed in the fitting but not sure if it was the pipe itself or the GTI Sport model.

Few things I learned, it's a lot easier if your car is farther off the ground. The VBand can appear to be on and not be on elsewhere. To sure to double check both sides of the lip to make sure it's covering the flanges. I also needed to pull the muffler forward and then I tightened the band.

It took like 5 hours and of it, 1.5 of it was dealing with the damn heat shield and 2 more was getting the MAP downpipe to fit and ultimately filed/drilled.

Any questions, let me know.

That is correct if you have the LSD/PP. When i had my awe downpipe i had to take out the heatshield to install as well. I didnt put it back on after as it was a PITA.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Also have the PP. I didn't remove the heat shield because it didn't look like the one in the shopdap video, and I couldn't see the bolts. It took forever and lots of twisting/finesse, but I did eventually get the oem pipe out. So it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BooTheBear

Passed Driver's Ed
Now that I know how to get them in/out and if I was standing, I might be able to do it. At least on my car, the heat shield ate up a lot of space for rotating. Just an FYI if anyone spends more than 30 minutes trying to get it out, taking the heat shield off makes it much easier.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't have PP, but I can't imagine VW gave us different downpipes, so the hangar that attaches to the block should be the same, yes? It looks so in all the videos. All the install videos I watched had PP and the steps except the heat shield removal were identical to what I did.

I also had a hard time getting the DP to mate to the turbo after I slid it onto the 2 hangar bolts. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier if you remove the TOP NUT from the passenger side of the hangar (so 3 total nuts removed). It's straight down next to the suspension. All did was put a 18" extension on my ratchet. Easy off. Then the hanger can move around a bit while also supporting the DP so you can get it to mate up. THEN you can mate it up to the turbo with ease. Put the vband on about halfwayish to keep it in place, THEN put that top nut back on the hanger, THEN go put the 2 nuts on the hangar under the car, then move on to the bracket with the rubber thingies and bolt that down. And just keep going back. At the end you come back to the turbo and finish off the vband and plug in the o2 sensor.

This guy shows that 3rd nut and how everything was so much simpler after he removed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUsbyJI550

Start at 9 minutes.

BooTheBear

Passed Driver's Ed
I would also assume the down pipes would be the same. My main issue was that it wasn't flush with a gap on the front side. Even with moving that 3rd bolt (maybe I should have played with it more, I didn't know that was a thing I should have been doing), I still couldn't get it to line up correctly. I'm sure better people than me could have done it but I was already deviating from the expected amount of things to touch :)

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Been driving since Tuesday and I haven't gotten a CEL yet with my GESI cat dp.

Status
Not open for further replies.