GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015+ GTI for AutoX

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
dat autocrosser lyfe:

taking 3 sets of tires to be flipped at a friend's tire mounting machine....

switching a set of Rival S 1.5 to another used RE71R set, and switching the PSS on the car right now to a set of Conti Extreme Contact Sport

Have you had some time with the Conti Sports yet? What do you think? I literally just put a brand new set on last night (coming from the PSS as well) but don't go to the circuit for another few weeks. On the road they feel great so far.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Well as far as DD tires go I think they are fine. I bought them to replace the PSSs for that use and they seem to be just fine for that. No noticeable differences in feel.

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Trying to pick up a new wheel/tire setup for GS. Tirerack is out of the 245/40 RE-71s but they have 245/45 ready to go. Is there anything that should hold me back from the 245/45? Maybe a little less steering response but I figured you can always just adjust the tire pressure.

-=max=-

Ready to race!
Trying to pick up a new wheel/tire setup for GS. Tirerack is out of the 245/40 RE-71s but they have 245/45 ready to go. Is there anything that should hold me back from the 245/45? Maybe a little less steering response but I figured you can always just adjust the tire pressure.

Gearing is already tall, making slow stuff pretty painful. Taller tires will only make that worse. Coming from a FoST to a GTI, the main thing I noticed was how much faster the FoST got out of slow corners. Taller tires will not help that.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
245/45 is pretty tall though. From math its 4% larger and gets almost 2mph more. If you have a 6MT the gearing is already I think too tall that adding that isn't going to be great. And you might be more likely running into rubbing issue.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
yeah I am not very good with getting close. One that I did in the next run was a +1...lol

That run actually looks worse, but I think I get on gas earlier in a lot of places...

For whatever reason my BT OBDII reader disappeared to my phone and I lost all the car data from SoloStorm. Still need to resolve that...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I have both....running Rival S 1.5 for national events and RE71Rs for locals. BFG has better contingencies(or in the case of ProSolo, only one with contingency) and I have a codriver than can win those, so BFG makes sense. I just been buying used RE71Rs for other events.

Driving wise, the BFGs feel much sloppier, there are more delays to your inputs and you need to lead the car more (turn in earlier) to get the car to work. They also have better tolerance to mistake, in that if you jam on the brake too late and turn in the car might still make it. Bridgestones are not very good with that. Bridgestones are much sharper and reactive to drive. I prefer their feel but I don't hate the BFGs, I hated the 1.0 version but the 1.5 is tolerable. I am curious to know if they will get better when I stick my custom front struts back on(they got sent back to ProParts for rebuild and will be reinstalling them this week).

Driving back to back earlier with the 2 tires I think their ultimate pace aren't that different. If you are fine with the BFG's characteristics I think either one will work. BFG obviously are pricier. They also wear faster on the shoulder than the RE71R, which makes it that much less appealing...

GTI Chris1

I have both....running Rival S 1.5 for national events and RE71Rs for locals. BFG has better contingencies(or in the case of ProSolo, only one with contingency) and I have a codriver than can win those, so BFG makes sense. I just been buying used RE71Rs for other events.

Driving wise, the BFGs feel much sloppier, there are more delays to your inputs and you need to lead the car more (turn in earlier) to get the car to work. They also have better tolerance to mistake, in that if you jam on the brake too late and turn in the car might still make it. Bridgestones are not very good with that. Bridgestones are much sharper and reactive to drive. I prefer their feel but I don't hate the BFGs, I hated the 1.0 version but the 1.5 is tolerable. I am curious to know if they will get better when I stick my custom front struts back on(they got sent back to ProParts for rebuild and will be reinstalling them this week).

Driving back to back earlier with the 2 tires I think their ultimate pace aren't that different. If you are fine with the BFG's characteristics I think either one will work. BFG obviously are pricier. They also wear faster on the shoulder than the RE71R, which makes it that much less appealing...

That seems to be in line with what I have heard regarding the "feel" and "precision" of RE71's vs. the BFG's. I'm surprised to hear you are seeing harder wear on the shoulders of the BFG's (My friends competitively co-drive an RX8 that is currently shod with the BFG's and they are seeing excellent wear resistance). Do you think the wear is a result of the abusive nature of fwd and poor camber?

Thanks for sharing all the information you do - I am coming off of a BS C5 FRC I raced for the last couple of years (campaigning a 4dr GTI SE PP) so it has been an adjustment to say the least.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think its a combination of the lack of camber on the GTI and I think I am running too low of a pressure. We haven't changed that too much mainly because we've run about 2 events total plus half a T&T on the tires and haven't played with things too much. Especially since at the ProSolo the car wasn't driving poorly at the low pressure so we just didn't mess with it. I will be trying putting higher pressure in them once I get them back on the car for the next local and the Champ Tour.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Ran a small local event today as I guess a last rehearsal for the Champ Tour next week(not really but seat time is seat time).

2nd in GS by .090 to the guy who was 2nd in Nats last year and 3rd on overall PAX.

Phone accelerometer didn't work for some reason....

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Toledo Champ Tour was this past weekend. About probably 1/3 of the registered 2017 Nationals entrants were at this event so it was a pretty good rehearsal I guess for this year's Nationals. The car drove pretty well on a sweepers intensive and transition heavy course, especially now with my DA front struts back in. Though the course style really isn't a strong GS course.

Ended up 3rd after 2 days of competition and on average about .6 sec off the lead per day on a 69 sec course. I need to find more pace but it was about as good as I've done at a Tour format event(2 courses, 3 runs per course).

Sat:

Sun:

Results
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c656b6c60935ebb44891cefcfe814161&oe=5A315074

Pax ended up being 130 something out of 300, GS winner(2nd in 2016 Nats) is around 94, which is why I am guessing somehow the course isn't really GS friendly.