GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Eco-Performance Build

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Visual performance mod! I was tired of the limited view through the rear windshield and found out that B7 Audi's and some early model Mk7's came with low profile rear headrests. I think this is a great mod for under $100. Search in eBay for best price on parts.

B7 A4/S4 Rear headset replacement.

On the left is my oem mqb headrest, on the right is the B7 Audi Headrest.

That nice new spacious rear view :)))))

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Thread update!!
On the fence right now about taking the plunge on APR's Stage 1 ecu upgrade. I want to take advantage of the current sale pricing but I keep wondering if it's worth the risk of losing my 100,000 mile warranty.

Currently my car has no tune modifications nor piggy back systems. Just Neuspeed intake and magnaflow cat-back.

The gains from the stage 1 ecu upgrade are quite substantial and I loved my modded Gti which was basically problem free it's entire life.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Thread update!!
On the fence right now about taking the plunge on APR's Stage 1 ecu upgrade. I want to take advantage of the current sale pricing but I keep wondering if it's worth the risk of losing my 100,000 mile warranty.

Currently my car has no tune modifications nor piggy back systems. Just Neuspeed intake and magnaflow cat-back

With your 100k mile warranty, I'd go 100% piggy back and bolt-on parts.

It might be more of a hassle and doesn't have the same power gains/benefits compared to a normal ECU tune but at least it won't flash your ECU should you happen to run into issues that you can use your warranty for.

Unless you don't plan to keep the car for the duration of the warranty anyway, then that's up to you :)

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
With your 100k mile warranty, I'd go 100% piggy back and bolt-on parts.

It might be more of a hassle and doesn't have the same power gains/benefits compared to a normal ECU tune but at least it won't flash your ECU should you happen to run into issues that you can use your warranty for.

Unless you don't plan to keep the car for the duration of the warranty anyway, then that's up to you :)

^ Agree with this guy. JB4 is a no-brainer. Check out the 1.8 JB4 thread:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26671

George gives great support via email and on the forums. You can use two simple user-friendly maps (map 1 or map 2), or you can dial-in whatever boost curve you want using map 6 (mild to beast mode). If you look at the latest discussion in that thread, an IS20-upgraded 1.8t just put out 316 WHP/361 WTQ. This is much more HP/TQ than the Unitronic flash tune for the IS20\1.8. This isn't for everyone, but shows you what the JB4 can do!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Defs JB4 + pedalbox.

My main complaint about JB4 is that it doesnt change the throttle response or mapping from OEM, which is remedied by a pedalbox.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I had the Neuspeed Power Module however I experienced EPC warning lights on multiple occasions after repeatedly depressing and releasing the accelerator pedal in quick succession. I realized this could be caused from the piggy back and removed the power module. After I removed the piggy back system that fault did not occur again with the same type of pedal modulation. I don't like how the piggy back is constantly "tricking" the car's computer.

That's the main reason I don't want to do a piggy back system anymore.

Plus I had a great experience with APR in the past however the whole voiding-warranty factor is daunting. Le Sigh

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I had the Neuspeed Power Module however I experienced EPC warning lights on multiple occasions after repeatedly depressing and releasing the accelerator pedal in quick succession. I realized this could be caused from the piggy back and removed the power module. After I removed the piggy back system that fault did not occur again with the same type of pedal modulation. I don't like how the piggy back is constantly "tricking" the car's computer.

Plus I had a great experience with APR in the past however the whole voiding-warranty factor is daunting. Le Sigh

I completely understand your stance on the piggy back systems. I used to feel the same way until the JB1/4 changed my mind. I have had the NPM, JB1, and now the JB4. I had similar issues with the NPM with over-boosting from time to time. Not a bad device, but not a great device. The JB's are so much better because you can adjust the boost curve for your needs and environment (elevation, fuel, weather etc.). This alone will eliminate the issue you had with the NPM. Plus, the JB's will do fuel pressure increases as well to keep short term fuel trims closer to stock. This makes the JB power delivery much smoother than the NPM.

I have no doubt that APR does great work, but arguably:
1) there is no way to permanently remove it, and you have to go see a dealer to flash back to stock.
2) you can't adjust it yourself.
3) you have to pay more for stage 2, if you don't buy their DP.
4) upgrade turbo, pay more.
5) can't recoup any of your $ when you sell your car (JB"s can be sold or moved to another MK7 GTI, R, GSW, Alltrack etc.)

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

I'd like to ECU tune too but I have to keep myself in check because I'd like to have powertrain warranty if I ever needed it.

As for the Neuspeed piggy back causing EPC... that's strange. Loose connections? Have you contacted them about it? Anyhow, you should give JB1/4 a try. You can buy/sell them at minimal loss and there's always one for sale in this forum.

I know this doesn't mean much but I installed mine 1-2k miles ago and no issues so far, same with many JB1/4 users.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
So I decided to take the plunge and I got the ecu flash from APR. I must say, the car has been completely changed. Accelerating feels so strong and smooth. I can actually spin tire and make them chirp if I accelerate too much. The 0-125mph ability has been improved greatly and I have a lot more confidence in highway passing and merging now.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to ECU tune too but I have to keep myself in check because I'd like to have powertrain warranty if I ever needed it.

As for the Neuspeed piggy back causing EPC... that's strange. Loose connections? Have you contacted them about it? Anyhow, you should give JB1/4 a try. You can buy/sell them at minimal loss and there's always one for sale in this forum.

I know this doesn't mean much but I installed mine 1-2k miles ago and no issues so far, same with many JB1/4 users.

No, I asked AU Tuning about the EPC issue and they said the NPM could cause the warning light. They sell power modules, vehicle specific ecu tunes, and even full on custom ecu dyno tuning. The mechanic said that at the end of the day, the vehicle specific tunes are far safer than the piggy back systems for daily driving because the vehicle specific tunes have been designed by professionals unlike crowd sourced tunes.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
So I've driven over 5,000 miles with the APR stage 1 ecu tune and I've been loving it. I am due for my covered 15,000 mile service/inspection from Audi care so I had my local tuner shop flash me back to stock before my service appointment at the dealership.
We will see if my car gets flagged with TD1 after the inspection.

In other news, I've been contemplating upgrading my is12 turbo to either the is20 or is38.
I like the fact that I can keep the oem downpipe with the is20 choice however when purchasing new parts, the is20 and is38 turbos are in the same price range. I'm contemplating which turbo would be the better long term choice since my 1.8T is a daily commuter car.

Link to Turbo ECU pricing options:

Last edited:

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
So I've driven over 5,000 miles with the APR stage 1 ecu tune and I've been loving it. I am due for my covered 15,000 mile service/inspection from Audi care so I had my local tuner shop flash me back to stock before my service appointment at the dealership.
We will see if my car gets flagged with TD1 after the inspection.

In other news, I've been contemplating upgrading my is12 turbo to either the is20 or is38.
I like the fact that I can keep the oem downpipe with the is20 choice however when purchasing new parts, the is20 and is38 turbos are in the same price range. I'm contemplating which turbo would be the better long term choice since my 1.8T is a daily commuter car.

Link to Turbo ECU pricing options:
I don't think you could go wrong either way. The is20 turbo on my GTI is great at altitude and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk