GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Difference between these two Euro tail lights

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Indeed it does come with the harness needed for the amber turn signals, but from my understanding, I'd still need something like OBDELEVEN to code the amber signals to work.

Yes, as I stated, coding.
VCDS. Buy or find someone who has it and will do.
Dealer might do if they know how. For a price.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
What precisely isn't a critical safety item on a car? Name any? I've never had an issue with ECS....and neither with Aliexpress on items not associated w/ a car.

12v outlet plug.

The chance of failure with an aftermarket ebay/ali part is much higher than one that's OEM VW - wouldn't you agree?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Why are we arguing about aftermarket crap vs OEM goodies?

In the end you'll end up spending the money once with OEM or multiple times with aftermarket crap.

mkygod

Ready to race!
For people that went w/ aftermarket tail lights instead of OEM, is there a reason you went for them instead the Chinese OEM VW lights which are about the same price?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I paid a little over $500 shipped for Golf R European produced tail lights. The lower price is off of eBay from their German site, same seller is slightly higher on US site.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
@Merkeyterkey. Good to know, I guess. The "true" OM comes from Mexico w/ the car. Paying a $1K "vig" for DAP OEM's when hard to distinguish from ECS "knockoff" wasn't a great value prop.

@PouncingPanzer. I'd put the ECS Flush-Kit at the top of your list. Yes, the lights are great, but the Flush-Kit is fantastically great.....and cheap!
They are on it still, and at their price I was just going to order them with the lights when I get them, finally. I would like to get a wheel coating on hand to put on my wheels when I go through the motions of removing them. That being said, I need to wait until the weather gets dryer and warmer for a coating install. I don't have a true climate controlled environment for that sorta thing.

I have not forgotten!!

AKF427

Ready to race!
12v outlet plug.

The chance of failure with an aftermarket ebay/ali part is much higher than one that's OEM VW - wouldn't you agree?

12V plug. Distracted driving while attempting to insert a power chord, etc. Further distraction while attempting to confirm that power is indeed being transferred. Further, further distraction when jiggling it to make power transfer. BANG you just hit the dude ahead of you & your 100% liable. NEXT.

It's a bit of a blanket statement to suggest aftermarket part failure is higher than OEM? Where is the data to justify that "fact" coming from? The Manufacturer & Dealer charge a premium for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" designation...yet that "equipment" ain't built by the Manufacturer, it is sourced elsewhere. The "content" note upon your sticker suggests %'s for Country of Origin on parts. I doubt the rigid QA guidelines between OEM designated parts and aftermarket parts is a wide chasm. I'd agree, yet I would have had to experience a failure to agree...no? I've not experienced failure.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
12V plug. Distracted driving while attempting to insert a power chord, etc. Further distraction while attempting to confirm that power is indeed being transferred. Further, further distraction when jiggling it to make power transfer. BANG you just hit the dude ahead of you & your 100% liable. NEXT.

It's a bit of a blanket statement to suggest aftermarket part failure is higher than OEM? Where is the data to justify that "fact" coming from? The Manufacturer & Dealer charge a premium for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" designation...yet that "equipment" ain't built by the Manufacturer, it is sourced elsewhere. The "content" note upon your sticker suggests %'s for Country of Origin on parts. I doubt the rigid QA guidelines between OEM designated parts and aftermarket parts is a wide chasm. I'd agree, yet I would have had to experience a failure to agree...no? I've not experienced failure.

Your question was: "What isn't a critical safety item on this car?"
Your ranting didn't really go near that, but rather how people are irresponsible with power cords?

Are you honestly suggesting that the replica taillights made in a ghost factory somewhere in Guangzhou meet the same rigorous design and manufacture standards set by VW engineers and are fulfilled by top tier automotive suppliers like AL or Hella?

You know what, go ahead and do what you like. Maybe when your Golf burns the ground due to dodgy electrics, or you're rear ended by an F-150 because your money saving lights don't work properly you'll realize that "buy once cry once" is a maxim to live by.

AKF427

Ready to race!
Your question was: "What isn't a critical safety item on this car?"
Your ranting didn't really go near that, but rather how people are irresponsible with power cords?

Are you honestly suggesting that the replica taillights made in a ghost factory somewhere in Guangzhou meet the same rigorous design and manufacture standards set by VW engineers and are fulfilled by top tier automotive suppliers like AL or Hella?

You know what, go ahead and do what you like. Maybe when your Golf burns the ground due to dodgy electrics, or you're rear ended by an F-150 because your money saving lights don't work properly you'll realize that "buy once cry once" is a maxim to live by.

Your banter is all personal "op-ed" (opinion editorial).

If you possessed EMPIRICAL facts/data versus conjuring up "burning golf's" & "rear ending F-150" personal fantasies the facts/data would be applicable, your fantasies? Not so much. Please share...facts...not histrionics. I've literally never owned anything motorized/substantive/fueled (Car, Motorcycle, Moped, Snowblower, Leaf-blower) that went up in a "blaze of glory" no matter the ignition source. You have?

My "ranting' is akin to your "fantasizing". Everything/anything can be a critical safety item, no? Likelihood of your burning fantasy emanating from a 12v power source v. a taillight? Factually speaking, I suggested possible safety issues that could arise from a failed 12v power source, not a power cord or the "irresponsibility" of those using such.

Yes, I'm "honest"...thus I don't understand your "honestly suggesting"...ahh, I suggested it, thus I honestly believe it.

If I had to hypothesize, I would "imagine" that all automotive manufactures ---and the majority of aftermarket vendors--- possess rigorous standards. Imagine? Ya, I can probably get you two (2) or sixty-nine million (69,000,000) Takata Airbags "on the cheap"....and that's a FACT.

AKF427

Ready to race!
FYI:

https://youtu.be/fLKydAgQbOM

https://youtu.be/0w6ZuD0lpYU

My initial engagement into this thread was all about DAP $$$. Above are YouTube links from DAP. The Aftermarket lights are Helix. I bought them from ECS for far less. Don't know how we arrived in "Guangzhou"---that's for the ever sage dude from Houston to answer.

Lastly, wouldn't everything post production/delivery be considered "aftermarket" if it came from DAP or ECS, etc? Only VW Dealerships sell OM "approved" aftermarket "accessory"/"upgrade". DAP & ECS might sell identical items that are literally manufactured on the same floor @ the same time as OEM. Any illumination (The thread is about lights!) would help.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Not all of Aliexpress items are replicas please let people buy what they want stop being the OEM police.
Also yes OEM lights will fog and leak. I don't We'd to point that out you can search it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKF427

Ready to race!
Not all of Aliexpress items are replicas please let people buy what they want stop being the OEM police.
Also yes OEM lights will fog and leak. I don't We'd to point that out you can search it.

ECS & DAP----I never referenced Aliexpress. I honestly/truthfully couldn't give a shit what people buy, unless I need an opinion on a purchase I might be making....don't know how i'm preventing anything. The "OEM Police"...always best to read the thread dude before making comment, otherwise your point is pointless when targeting the wrong poster within a thread. Ah, thanks...but no thanks...I guess.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
ECS & DAP----I never referenced Aliexpress. I honestly/truthfully couldn't give a shit what people buy, unless I need an opinion on a purchase I might be making....don't know how i'm preventing anything. The "OEM Police"...always best to read the thread dude before making comment, otherwise your point is pointless when targeting the wrong poster within a thread. Ah, thanks...but no thanks...I guess.

Sorry, I wasn't directing this to you , is just that many people believe that anything that is not OEM is bad news

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Your banter is all personal "op-ed" (opinion editorial).

If you possessed EMPIRICAL facts/data versus conjuring up "burning golf's" & "rear ending F-150" personal fantasies the facts/data would be applicable, your fantasies? Not so much. Please share...facts...not histrionics. I've literally never owned anything motorized/substantive/fueled (Car, Motorcycle, Moped, Snowblower, Leaf-blower) that went up in a "blaze of glory" no matter the ignition source. You have?

My "ranting' is akin to your "fantasizing". Everything/anything can be a critical safety item, no? Likelihood of your burning fantasy emanating from a 12v power source v. a taillight? Factually speaking, I suggested possible safety issues that could arise from a failed 12v power source, not a power cord or the "irresponsibility" of those using such.

Yes, I'm "honest"...thus I don't understand your "honestly suggesting"...ahh, I suggested it, thus I honestly believe it.

If I had to hypothesize, I would "imagine" that all automotive manufactures ---and the majority of aftermarket vendors--- possess rigorous standards. Imagine? Ya, I can probably get you two (2) or sixty-nine million (69,000,000) Takata Airbags "on the cheap"....and that's a FACT.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=melted+harness+aftermarket

Guangzhou is a major manufacturing city in the PRC. There's plenty of cut rate factories out there turning out knock offs of LV bags, car parts, eBay specials, etc.

The inherent risk of buying cut rate auto parts vs. OEM VW is too great for some, me included.

You absolutely deserve what happens to you when you're cutting corners.

Go ahead and buy Chinese tires, Fram filters, discount oil, and shady ebay/ali stuff. I couldn't care less.

"Lastly, wouldn't everything post production/delivery be considered "aftermarket" if it came from DAP or ECS, etc? Only VW Dealerships sell OM "approved" aftermarket "accessory"/"upgrade". DAP & ECS might sell identical items that are literally manufactured on the same floor @ the same time as OEM."

Not even close, friendo.

There's a huge difference in a VW stamped OEM part and a knock off bit sourced from who knows where in Asia.

VW OEM parts were engineered to meet VW AG specs as well as EU/North American regulations for safety along with the intent of being a warrantied part where fitted from the factory. VW has an incentive to design and then source a high quality part from its suppliers that would give its customers a reasonable service life.

The Chinese knock offs are only out to get your money, and don't give a rat's ass about how well it works for you.

Do what you think is best, because it seems like you've got all the answers and the questions.