GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deep exhaust, not too loud, minimal drone, smooth.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
So you get paid differently for warranty work versus out of warranty work? Can you enlighten us on how our techs are compensated by the dealers, It will help us all better understand. Thanks
Absolutely! I am amazed at how little people know about how a technician makes money. If more did understand they would probably have a bit more respect and better understanding behind how a dealer shop operates.

I will use my dealer for an example as I know their labor rates. Or at least what they were 3 years ago. 1 hour of labor customer pay was $119.95. Regardless of job or the technician performing it. So, I made 17.50 an hour flat rate, so I saw roughly 14% of that hour in each paycheck. The rest of that $119.95 was divided into the service adviser commission for the sale, the service directors paycheck, and shop supplies and materials. So lets say VW didn't cover that imbecile's repairs. I most likely quoted as follows.

1 hour diag to cover moving(it didn't run) the car around, scanning it, filling out the multipoint sheet, and paperwork.

1 hour to remove wiper cowl, cut the cage, and replace the ECM itself.

1 hour to adapt the ECM(about 20 minutes actual) and cover the final test drive(another 20 minutes probably).

Did each of these task take the full hour, probably not. But that's where my paycheck and profit comes in. If I quoted 3 hours total, and completed it in 2. GREAT! That is the only situation flat rate is good. Just like you being hourly and making overtime, I would stay late or go in on my day off to complete a customer pay job that had a lot of hours sold on it. Only way I could get a paycheck I was happy with unfortunately. I never made less than 40, but I never cracked 70 either. Some weeks, you spent 45 hours total at the dealer and took home 60 hours because of good sales, or sometimes you took home 40 hours when you spent 60 hours there, situation where flat rate blows. There is a lot of potential profit in flat rate, but you are are the mercy of the customers willingness to spend money, or if they have a warranty or not. I loved MkVIs and MkVs, I knew they had no warranty on them. TBH the best customers EVER were Rabbit owners, the worst were Touareg owners.

So, situation where there is a warranty. My hourly rate of 17.50 remains the same, but I must quote the job using VW labor times that are based on time studies. These are found in Elsaweb, the dealership electronic source for manuals and just about any info on any VW ever sold here. (I miss being able to pull up anyone's ENTIRE manual on any PC anywhere) The moment it went warranty I had to re quote the job using VW labor times. So, my hour diag was gone, as VW pays diag based on the time you were connected with that scantool and test drives. VW would pay .10 hours(6 minutes) per test drive. If you didn't send the diagnostic log to their servers before discconecting the scantool, AND you cleared the faults. Congratulations, you aren't getting anything now and the dealer eats the parts. Without that diag log sent, VW will not pay 1 cent. ECM labor replacement was like .70-.80 for most cars so I lost .30 there. Plus the .20 for wiper arm Removal/install. The initial diag time I quoted for the shear inconvenience of the car not running, and having to do a run around with VW was 100% gone. Most of the time I made on the repair was from the scantool run time labor. I was hooked to the car for almost an hour and you get paid for scantool diagnosis. So as long as you save/send the log haha.

So, long description short, the technician IS NOT the one bending you over. He has a family to support, and has to fight for every single freaking labor op he can when it comes to warranty pay. Under warranty I considered breaking even a success story. So you see, customer pay is better because I dictate the labor. Giving me a better chance of being able to afford food for the week and parts for my car. Oh, and the best part about being a technician was the $24,000 on tools I spent during my time there, yea that part is usually what makes people go WhAAAAA??? haha. Hope this helped. SOrry I am not the best typer and being at work on break I didn't proof read. Anymore questions regarding this please feel free to ask me, I think it is important everyone here knows what happens in that bay with their technician, and the things he has to work with.

bebersol

Ready to race!
The standard set up for VAG/Audi products is 2 (600 cell) ceramic cats, one just behind the turbo and a second after the down pipe.The OEM ceramic cats are highly restrictive and are the cause of most of the muffling of your engines sounds. this is the reason VAG installs the soundkator sp.

I removed the fake soundmaker and went with a down-pipe high-flow cat (200 cell) and resonator through the OEM muffler. This makes nice sound when you want it, doesn't droan at cruise speeds, and had an immediate seat of the pants effect. Probably not more horsepower, but the turbo definitely spools faster resulting in quicker response, and doesn't void the warranty.

The OEM muffler is a trick piece of engineering that goes open at WOT and sounds great, and flows through the baffles at moderate throttle positions. APR make an aftermarket muffler like this but it's expensive.

Last edited:

bebersol

Ready to race!
Absolutely! I am amazed at how little people know about how a technician makes money. If more did understand they would probably have a bit more respect and better understanding behind how a dealer shop operates.

I will use my dealer for an example as I know their labor rates. Or at least what they were 3 years ago. 1 hour of labor customer pay was $119.95. Regardless of job or the technician performing it. So, I made 17.50 an hour flat rate, so I saw roughly 14% of that hour in each paycheck. The rest of that $119.95 was divided into the service adviser commission for the sale, the service directors paycheck, and shop supplies and materials. So lets say VW didn't cover that imbecile's repairs. I most likely quoted as follows.

1 hour diag to cover moving(it didn't run) the car around, scanning it, filling out the multipoint sheet, and paperwork.

1 hour to remove wiper cowl, cut the cage, and replace the ECM itself.

1 hour to adapt the ECM(about 20 minutes actual) and cover the final test drive(another 20 minutes probably).

Did each of these task take the full hour, probably not. But that's where my paycheck and profit comes in. If I quoted 3 hours total, and completed it in 2. GREAT! That is the only situation flat rate is good. Just like you being hourly and making overtime, I would stay late or go in on my day off to complete a customer pay job that had a lot of hours sold on it. Only way I could get a paycheck I was happy with unfortunately. I never made less than 40, but I never cracked 70 either. Some weeks, you spent 45 hours total at the dealer and took home 60 hours because of good sales, or sometimes you took home 40 hours when you spent 60 hours there, situation where flat rate blows. There is a lot of potential profit in flat rate, but you are are the mercy of the customers willingness to spend money, or if they have a warranty or not. I loved MkVIs and MkVs, I knew they had no warranty on them. TBH the best customers EVER were Rabbit owners, the worst were Touareg owners.

So, situation where there is a warranty. My hourly rate of 17.50 remains the same, but I must quote the job using VW labor times that are based on time studies. These are found in Elsaweb, the dealership electronic source for manuals and just about any info on any VW ever sold here. (I miss being able to pull up anyone's ENTIRE manual on any PC anywhere) The moment it went warranty I had to re quote the job using VW labor times. So, my hour diag was gone, as VW pays diag based on the time you were connected with that scantool and test drives. VW would pay .10 hours(6 minutes) per test drive. If you didn't send the diagnostic log to their servers before discconecting the scantool, AND you cleared the faults. Congratulations, you aren't getting anything now and the dealer eats the parts. Without that diag log sent, VW will not pay 1 cent. ECM labor replacement was like .70-.80 for most cars so I lost .30 there. Plus the .20 for wiper arm Removal/install. The initial diag time I quoted for the shear inconvenience of the car not running, and having to do a run around with VW was 100% gone. Most of the time I made on the repair was from the scantool run time labor. I was hooked to the car for almost an hour and you get paid for scantool diagnosis. So as long as you save/send the log haha.

So, long description short, the technician IS NOT the one bending you over. He has a family to support, and has to fight for every single freaking labor op he can when it comes to warranty pay. Under warranty I considered breaking even a success story. So you see, customer pay is better because I dictate the labor. Giving me a better chance of being able to afford food for the week and parts for my car. Oh, and the best part about being a technician was the $24,000 on tools I spent during my time there, yea that part is usually what makes people go WhAAAAA??? haha. Hope this helped. SOrry I am not the best typer and being at work on break I didn't proof read. Anymore questions regarding this please feel free to ask me, I think it is important everyone here knows what happens in that bay with their technician, and the things he has to work with.
Thank you for an amazing explanation. As I like to relate to the guy who does the work me I really appreciate the insight, and everyone is entitled to a good working wadge.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for an amazing explanation. As I like to relate to the guy who does the work me I really appreciate the insight, and everyone is entitled to a good working wadge.
I cannot express enough the benefits to getting to know your tech. If you frequent the dealer, you would be amazed at the little perks that come with being on a first names basis with the tech and the service adviser. So as long as the adviser is cool and in the know of the product. I found, and still find that most of the bad experiences at a dealer occur at the service advisers desk, not in the techs bays. A dumb service adviser can misinterpret what you say at time of write up, and the rest is history. Followed by a poor customer survey.

OH!!!! That is another VERY important thing. I am sure you guys have filled out a dealer survey at one time or another. Either when you bought your car, or the last time a work order was made in the service shop. THOSE ARE IMPORTANT! You could make or break a service adviser with a survey. A single negative, was a trip to the office for explanation or reason. They make a difference, they are all reviewed and anything other then "all yeses and 10s" is a hit and someone answers to it. So please fill these out honestly, if you really were unhappy, say so on the survey. It does make a difference. So as long as the service director cares. If he doesn't then there will never be a good experience for anyone.

I take the techs lunch when I go now, as I remember how much I appreciated customer gestures when I was there as a tech. It is so rare, that any customer appreciation to the technician really could make his day. So as long as the tech did a good job obviously. As a tech, I would do the same back. If a customer spent a lot of money, or was a frequent customer. We would make them a VIP(10% anything and everything), or on a personal level I would leave my card on the dash with my work email and would invite the customer to contact me with questions regarding the repair if they so choose. Obviously, grouchy customers never got my work email haha. I would also leave thank you cards in any vehicle with service plates of any kind. Things like this, kept them coming back and specifically requesting me. When customers start requesting a specific tech, that specific tech gets more recognition from his employer. Which, most dealers DO NOT appreciate or pay their techs enough. I will stop there before ranting about that aspect haha.

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Not to continue thread derailment, but after completing my tool inventory for the new year... I've got as much wrapped up in tools and storage now as what I will have paid for my GTI! (Diesel, power gen, heavy equipment mechanic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
just gonna insert if not already that the magnaflow system perfectly conforms to the title requirements. super quiet to the point that those who dont know dont notice. no drone, jsut enough extra deepness and grunt to satisfy the customer.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Riceburner, nice. Where are guys getting the magnaflow for $550 btw? I heard there is some Facebook deal somewhere from time to time?

AKF427

Ready to race!
Last Thread "derailment", and my apologies....

@Beaker: Right back at you...Cheers &...enjoy the weekend!!!

@PouncingPanzer: Terrific contribution. Your transparency is a fantastic "assist" to this entire forum. We ought create a new thread. I'm certain the majority would really embrace your candidness and incite. Just one question...if a repair requires a 2hrs of what we could call "peripheral" labor to access the failed component, VW's hourly payout algorithm/whatever, doesn't compute for that, it only computes for the time/labor/cost of repair/replacement of the failed component?

Have a terrific weekend everybody...and let's keep assisting, enlightening, and informing...opposed to "flaming" contributors who possess that objective...we'll all be better off...and unfortunately we're trained to "tune out" by sentence 5 or paragraph 2, and that isn't a "good thing" when the contribution---like what PouncingPanzer has provided is truly a "value read".

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Riceburner, nice. Where are guys getting the magnaflow for $550 btw? I heard there is some Facebook deal somewhere from time to time?

I've seen a few Canadian shops selling it for $750 CAD. Free shipping. Around $563 USD.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So, Pouncing Panzer under what scenario might you imagine warranty work being denied on account of a cat back on an otherwise unmodded - no tune - car?
I don't have a cat back, but being being old enough to remember the days when mufflers and related exhaust components quickly rusted off of cars - I find it hard to believe any dealer would give anyone trouble over a cat back.

And thank you for your insight!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

Hotexhaust had them for low 500s with coupon.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The Exhaustive Exhaust Cip Thread

Have fun. Unfortunately some of the sound clips are people reving their car in the driveway which is completely useless as the car is not under load so you don't get any sense of what the exhaust really sounds like. Some however are drive bys.

Enjoy.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18891

Last edited:

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The concern is having to remove the DP every time you go in for service.

Why would you have to remove the DP when going to the dealer. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't have a tune to go along with it.....:confused:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Why would you have to remove the DP when going to the dealer. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't have a tune to go along with it.....:confused:
Problem is two fold...

#1 Having a downpipe without a tune can cause the engine to run lean.

#2 Dealer techs will assume that you tuned the car somehow if you're running a downpipe.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Problem is two fold...

#1 Having a downpipe without a tune can cause the engine to run lean.

#2 Dealer techs will assume that you tuned the car somehow if you're running a downpipe.

Damn. I was going to run a DP without a tune...I guess the CEL problem is not the only thing one needs to worry about then when running a DP on a stock car. Is there no way around the car running lean? Other then the obvious Stage II tune.