GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015+ GTI for AutoX

Noone would detect Clubsport S control arms. Bushings are solid rubber,
while the LCA itself remains the same. Hard to obtain in the US though.

To be honest I don't really understand why AC on should help the engine
cooling down. I haven't tried it yet, but even with the fans forced to run,
the AC condenser in front of IC and radiator is emitting lots of heat with
the AC turned on and it doesn't when turned off. I fully understand you
want to cool down the interieor between runs, but I cannot believe it's
of any help for the engine. Contrarily turning the heater on would actually
do though.

;)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'm looking at oil temp and AC is doing more than heater so that's what I'm doing...

IIRC Clubsport S arms are Aluminum?

Per GS rule, you can only do rear bar(and links), shocks(that does not change travel or pickup points), wheels(+/- 1" diameter, same width) tires, pads, catback and filter.

Sadly - or fortunately depending on view - not, they're pressed steel.
They look exactly the same as any other Golf LCA. Only difference is
the rear bushing. The (aluminium) swivel makes the added camber.
Both are true sleeper mods. No authority will notice anything, no VW
dealer will.

I still don't get it enirely though. The AC condenser sitting in front of
both IC and radiator inevitable must heat these when AC is on, but if
you say, the running fans 'overcompensate' that, I have to believe it.
I will try it out next time the engine is hot enough. However, I'd have
AC on between runs in hotter weather anyways just for convenience.

sparkman95

breaking badly, if you're talking about autox, your attitude about the control arms is awful.

"Noone would detect Clubsport S control arms"
"Both are true sleeper mods. No authority will notice anything, no VW
dealer will."

I'm assuming you are just talking about dealers, because in autox, cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter if you get caught or not, if you make a modification because you don't think anyone will find out, you are a jerk and a poor sport.

sparkman95

I can back up what RacingManiac is saying about the AC on between runs. I initially went old-school and thought that having the heat on would help, and maybe it does vs. having the climate control off. Tried turning the AC on between runs last event and the different in oil temps was pretty crazy. Consider me converted.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
also in the middle of the summer like at Wilmington Champ last year when it was 90-100F it was nice having AC...lol

AutoX is very much a self-policed sports. It only really works when people are willing to play fair. Locally no one should be srs bzns enough to protest anything, but thats not a pass to do whatever you want. I always tell the new comer to not care too much about the rules because we want people to get into the sports first, then teach them about intricacy of the rules. To take advantage of that would be kinda dickish.

Nationally, if people think your car is screwy and you are winning, they will pay to protest and any sly business can and have been caught. I'd say anything you can think of to cheat it probably has been tried already...

sparkman95

Believe me, I understand about the self-policed aspect at the local level. And I understand the newbie with the car that's slower than GS but kicked into DSP/SMF because of one silly mod shouldn't worry about the rules initially, especially when they're 10 sec off pace anyway. But looking at the rules and then looking at a mod you haven't done yet, and thinking "how would they ever know?" and deciding to go the mod and keep it on the DL is pretty pathetic and sad.

twfa5

Passed Driver's Ed
Anybody got a lead on a 2 door MK7 gti S with PP? Would have to be used given that VW doesn't make 2 door PPs anymore :(

2017 looks to be the year of the Focus ST for me. But considering a GTI for GS in 2018 for me and/or the wife.

twfa5

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! First one was a 4 door, but 2nd one is spot on. Man, North Carolina is far though! Hahah. I haven't spread my search beyond CA for awhile, fearing issues with CARB and what not. 25k miles on a car for $20k. Not sure how I feel about that, especially given I'd have to drive it (or ship I guess) to San Diego.

twfa5

Passed Driver's Ed
Still debating if the DSG is the one to have at autocross. I'm like the only man on the planet trying to convince his wife to get the auto rather than manual (she's in denial about her arthritic/destroyed knees). I know though she'll never take an auto if it means she's less competitive.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Still debating if the DSG is the one to have at autocross. I'm like the only man on the planet trying to convince his wife to get the auto rather than manual (she's in denial about her arthritic/destroyed knees). I know though she'll never take an auto if it means she's less competitive.

1. Your wife is badass
2. I don't think you're gonna get a no-bs response on which one is the one to get. Depending on the course and day I think they will both have their disadvantages and advantages. Unless your planning on being nationally competitive, I'd say just get the one that will be better for you day to day.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If I were to make an STX car I'd do a DSG....open boost on a tranny not fearing for clutch death would be nice...