GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Tuning Track Cat-Back Exhaust - Review, Pics, and Video

poorness

Ready to race!
I have my straight Track pipe sitting in the garage if you're interested. I switched from Track to Touring.

Hey moonluv810. Just curious... how do you compare the AWE Track edition with stock downpipe to the AWE Touring edition with hi-flow downpipe? I've been toying with the downpipe idea and I just wanted to know what you thought after driving both.

BTW, I'm still loving my AWE Track after 3 1/2 months. What a great sound!

moonluv810

Ready to race!
Hey moonluv810. Just curious... how do you compare the AWE Track edition with stock downpipe to the AWE Touring edition with hi-flow downpipe? I've been toying with the downpipe idea and I just wanted to know what you thought after driving both.

BTW, I'm still loving my AWE Track after 3 1/2 months. What a great sound!
Sorry guys, been really busy with work and kids and haven't been active in the last couple of months.

Quick update if you have not seen my other posts....
I started with AWE Track CB with stock DP. Loved the setup but wanted a bit more noise and performance.
Went and got AWE catted DP and loved the performance gain, but the combo was a bit too loud for my taste.
Mike hooked me up with a Track to Touring conversion kit and I now have been running this combo (AWE catted DP and Touring CBE) for probably about 3 months now.

Couldn't be happier. Wife and kids don't mind the sound, but it's still there when you get on it.
Definitely loving this combo. I'll try to take some videos when I have some spare time.

Well... actually let me take that couldn't be happier comment back.
I kinda miss the loud crazy sound with the Track-catted DP combo from time to time. If AWE could make a valve system that allows you to switch back and forth from Touring to Track, I would be the first who buys it. :)
I'd even be more than willing to be the test mule.

AWE are you listening??? :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

xl1200r

Ready to race!
After having my AWE track CBE installed for a little over two months, I am pleased to report that I'm thrilled with the system. It sounds soooo good. It's September, so its starting to cool off here and it was very balmy this morning. Today's morning drive to work (with the windows rolled down) just reinforced how much I love this exhaust. Man, it sounds great. A+++ to AWE.

Would you be able to do a video that demonstrates the crackles? Those pops and crackles when shifting or in overrun are what I miss most from my Porsche. I really want to put an exhaust on the GTI that will do this, but want to keep the stock DP as I'll be moving to California in the near future. AWE Track sounds to be the most aggressive out there, but I'm also considering the DAP Center Exit kit.

HashtagAbe

I'm definitely interested in the AWE Touring exhaust but I would like to also get the CAT Downpipe, my only concern is the CARB restrictions. Any hope in the DP being CARB legal or becoming CARB legal in the near future?

xl1200r

Ready to race!
I'm definitely interested in the AWE Touring exhaust but I would like to also get the CAT Downpipe, my only concern is the CARB restrictions. Any hope in the DP being CARB legal or becoming CARB legal in the near future?

I'm kind of interested in this as well. I think a downpipe is the only way to get the sound I'm looking for.

MatthewMK7

I have my AWE Track Catback on hand, but wont have it installed until next Wednesday. I've already started editing a video together to compare the stock exhaust to the AWE one. I hope it will help everyone with their decision.

MatthewMK7

I'll just warn you... you're going to love it! ;)

Glad to hear that! I filmed my stock exhaust last night for the comparison video I am working on, and I never realized just how quiet the GTI is. It's embarrassingly quiet. I'd liken it to someone turning on and off a vacuum cleaner. I think filming my exhaust really helped me feel more reassured of my purchase with AWE. At this point, ANY additional volume would be a huge victory in my eyes.

If you wanted to hear what I am talking about, I have uploaded a test to YouTube below. Once I get the AWE exhaust installed, I will finish the video. I do think the very slight crackles have promise though. I'm crossing my fingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagMZ1SkC7g

poorness

Ready to race!
If you wanted to hear what I am talking about, I have uploaded a test to YouTube below. Once I get the AWE exhaust installed, I will finish the video

The exhaust has a "break in" period, so you're probably going to want to drive it for a week or two before you do the video. Overall though... I love this idea. I honestly forgot what the GTI sounded like stock. Once you get your AWE CBE installed... you'll forget too. ;)

One other bit of advice. If you haven't already... unplug/disable the Soundaktor. You won't need/want it once you have the AWE Track.

MatthewMK7

Alright, it's update time!

I finally got my exhaust installed on Wednesday, and I could not be more pleased. I hate to parrot what others have said, but AWE Tuning's Track Cat-back paired with the stock downpipe is exactly how the GTI should have come from the factory.

-----------------------------
Sound Quality
The best way I can describe the exhaust is "tight" and "controlled". The exhaust note is much lower in frequency (all about that bass!) than the stock exhaust, which keeps your car from sounding like a ricey Honda. It can easily be driven as a daily driver, and you will not turn heads unless you really gun it. AWE's exhaust really delivers on being high quality and having a refined sound.

This was my first exhaust, so I was pretty worried about drawing the wrong kind of attention to my car. Overall I have been absolutely thrilled with my purchase.

-----------------------------
Video
I created a quick video comparing the stock cat-back to AWE Tuning's track cat-back. In the video, I compare a cold start and tried to match some similar revs.

PLEASE NOTE: Without desktop speakers with a subwoofer or a good pair of headphones, the two exhausts will sound nearly identical. This is because much of the AWE exhaust sound is in lower frequencies than laptop speakers can reproduce. Please turn up your bass to hear the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atJq6I4N9b4

The audio came from a 50/50 combination of my iPhone and a Nikon for stereo separation. The sound has not been adjusted in any way. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I hope to make some videos of me driving around as soon as it warms up and all of this snow goes away....