GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to install Morimoto HID kits into Replica HID Headlights

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
So you purchased a set of our HID Headlights and a Morimoto HID kit. Now, how does all the wiring go together.

This is what you get:

- Morimoto XB35 or XB55 Ballasts (2x)
- D2H HID bulbs (2x)
- Canbus H7 Harness adapter (2x)
- Morimoto XB Igniters (2x)

On the canbus relay, disconnect the H7 harness adapter (the shorter wire) you will not need it.

When wired, it should look like this:

The orange and black spade connectors connect to the corresponding connectors inside of the headlights. These give the signal and power to the HID ballasts to turn on.

Also notice the position of the bulb, the bulb must be in this position, or the beam pattern will look "weird", it will be all blotchy, rather than a sharp cut off.

When installing, notice the position of the connectors, and the pins in the ballasts, they must be installed this way.
As well, be careful and do not bend any of the pins in the ballast when installing the connectors.

When complete, you can mount the ballast to the side of the headlight or underneath with the use of Velcro tape or screws.

Last edited:

jfishh

I just installed Ed's Replica HID Headlights with the Morimoto HID kit and this guide helped out tremendously.

hosrow

thank you so much for the pics. I got a whole bunch of wires and didn't know what end connected to where!!!! Save me a lot of guess work and stress.:)

adamgroves

Ready to race!
Is there a specific way round the bulb is supposed to be clipped into the headlight, for example the filament that's runs parallel to the bulb on the top?

adamgroves

Ready to race!
I recently purchased these for EDs headlights after the original cheap HID kit I purchase off eBay failed.
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-35w-smart-canbus-ballast-fast-start-dual-canbus-emi-emc/
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/5000k-xenon-hid-bulbs-various-bulb-types/

Unfortunately I keep getting a bulb error when having the lights in auto mode and them activating. The response from HID-direct was;

"Hi there Unfortunately due to you having an aftermarket kit the auto light function does tend to stop working and so you would have to use manual."

Does anyone agree with this?

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought the meh at best helix lamps. Would not buy them again but that is besides the point.

I mounted my ballasts under my lamps but TO the lamps. My lamps have molded in spots for the factory modules, I made use of this feature. I used a large flat blade screwdriver and a heat source to carefully create slots I can pass large zip ties through for securing the ballast to the lamp. I used the XB55 ballasts and the canbus resistor/capacitor devices.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Nevermind! These are sick!!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
What's everyone's experience with Morimoto HID kit (5500k)?
I am now using second set of bulbs (sent by TRS after warranty claim on first set) and they are the same yellow color. I had over 60 hours on first set of bulbs, which should be enough for them to break in.

adventure_ike

I'm installing these tonight. I had some industrial velcro on hand and have cut pieces and adhered them to the ballast and canbus, but not yet to the housings since I don't know the clearances and fit yet. I've taken a couple pics and will try and update as I take more during install.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I have a question on the HID bulb type., the Helix Projectors, I have it ordered from DAP comes with the H7 Halogens.

However the specs for Helix projectors (HVWG7HL-R) says that the Low beam projectors supports either H7 Halogens or D2S Xenons., but the instructions above talks about D2H Xenons.

Which one is the correct fit ? - D2H or D2S (Specs mentioned D2S).

Thanks,
Ravi.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I have a question on the HID bulb type., the Helix Projectors, I have it ordered from DAP comes with the H7 Halogens.

However the specs for Helix projectors (HVWG7HL-R) says that the Low beam projectors supports either H7 Halogens or D2S Xenons., but the instructions above talks about D2H Xenons.

Which one is the correct fit ? - D2H or D2S (Specs mentioned D2S).

Thanks,
Ravi.

D2S have a big ignitor on the base of the bulb, so they don't fit in Ed's headlights.
D2H are the same bulbs, but the ignitor is outside of headlight housing, so it can fit to almost any D2 headlight .
On Helix, you should be able to fit D2H and H7, don't know about D2S.

Punkcroc

So I got a set of Ed's second hand. They work fine with halogens but when I hook up HIDs the drivers side does not work. I switched all wires and ballasts and still the same issue. Any thoughts?