GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If The MQB S3 Is Any Indication Of The MK7 Golf R...

DAS_STIG

Banned
The rule proves the rule. Exceptions neither prove, nor disprove it. They are exceptions. Outliers. If you really wanted to average ALL Audi models US/Euro pricing you would find an average of about 0.93 (I did it... And most of ours have MUCH more standard equipment too).

The R will not cost any less (as it doesn't in Europe as it is) and it will not weigh more (as they are virtually the same car) but the S3 could be Sedan only with Golf R hatch only (of course).

the rule doesn't prove the rule. the majority of data points following the rule proves the rule. exceptions work toward disproving the rule. a single exception is an outlier. many exceptions together are more than just outliers, and may even become the rule.

we can at least agree to that.

Hooklyn

Banned
the rule doesn't prove the rule. the majority of data points following the rule proves the rule. exceptions work toward disproving the rule. a single exception is an outlier. many exceptions together are more than just outliers, and may even become the rule.

we can at least agree to that.

If you want to get technical AN (singular) exception does not disprove the rule. ExceptionS (multiple) would in fact change the rule, if enough are present. True.

Your ONE exception does not disprove the rule. If you had MULTIPLE exceptions then the rule would be disproved (or in affect changed).

The rule DOES in fact prove the rule as that is the reason it is the rule. If it didn't, it wouldn't be the rule but rather the exceptionS (multiple would need to be present) would become the rule and the previous rule thus becomes AN exception (singular).

In this case we have evidence that virtually unanimously (all but one exception) supports or confirms the rule. Hence the reason the rule is in fact the rule.

I may have confused myself on that one.:confused:

DAS_STIG

Banned
i think you did... because i was saying a rule can't prove itself. a rule is simply an explanation of the trend, which is made up of data points. therefor the data points prove the rule.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
C4L never ceases to thrill us

Hooklyn

Banned
C4L never ceases to thrill us

Why is it me and not him? :confused:

I suppose my reputation precedes me... :rolleyes:

Sorry for being overly concise and detailed. I will work on being more vague so others opinions can sustain as nobody likes to be wrong.
And remember, it is easier to be popular and wrong than it is to be unpopular and right. Just choose wisely.;)

Last edited:

krische

vdubber in training

Hooklyn

Banned
i think you did... because i was saying a rule can't prove itself. a rule is simply an explanation of the trend, which is made up of data points. therefor the data points prove the rule.

It was just semantics. And in any event, your one exception doesn't disprove the rule in this case.

We'll just have to wait and see on pricing. No need in arguing about 'what-if's'.

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
It was just semantics. And in any event, your one exception doesn't disprove the rule in this case.

We'll just have to wait and see on pricing. No need in arguing about 'what-if's'.

never said it did disprove the rule. i said exceptions can disprove a rule... never said that this one specific exception disproves the rule we are discussing.

DAS_STIG

Banned
going to be a tough choice for me. i definitely want to wait to upgrade the GTI, but the itch is there to get something new. golf R would be tempting... but i also know that i want to keep whatever i get next for a long time. definitely want something with AWD as i go skiing often and GTI was struggling with some of the hills last year being FWD. golf R or A3 sportback quattro seems to be the pack leaders based on price/mpg/fun/other goodies.

Hooklyn

Banned
never said it did disprove the rule. i said exceptions can disprove a rule... never said that this one specific exception disproves the rule we are discussing.

Got it. Semantics. That little 'S' following 'exception'.

Hooklyn

Banned
going to be a tough choice for me. i definitely want to wait to upgrade the GTI, but the itch is there to get something new. golf R would be tempting... but i also know that i want to keep whatever i get next for a long time. definitely want something with AWD as i go skiing often and GTI was struggling with some of the hills last year being FWD. golf R or A3 sportback quattro seems to be the pack leaders based on price/mpg/fun/other goodies.

I know for me I have had two GTI's in a row. (MKV and current MKVI). Going to an Audi seems like the next natural progression.

And now that that C&D article reports 220hp 2.0T in the A3 instead of the previously rumored 180hp 1.8T ONLY, it is even more appealing to me.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I know for me I have had two GTI's in a row. (MKV and current MKVI). Going to an Audi seems like the next natural progression.

And now that that C&D article reports 220hp 2.0T in the A3 instead of the previously rumored 180hp 1.8T ONLY, it is even more appealing to me.

my only concern is actual pricing for the base A3's. if it's like current pricing ~$31k for the basic quattro and the golf R is closer to $34-35k... it's a done deal with the A3. if pricing is closer between the 2 like lets say 32k vs 33k things will be hard. you have the more luxurious car vs the more fun car, which one will i be willing to live with for longer? then there's operating costs to figure in as well... who knows. can't debate too much yet without the golf R details even being out.

Hooklyn

Banned
my only concern is actual pricing for the base A3's. if it's like current pricing ~$31k for the basic quattro and the golf R is closer to $34-35k... it's a done deal with the A3. if pricing is closer between the 2 like lets say 32k vs 33k things will be hard. you have the more luxurious car vs the more fun car, which one will i be willing to live with for longer? then there's operating costs to figure in as well... who knows. can't debate too much yet without the golf R details even being out.

I would expect the price of each to be about the same as they are currently. From $27k for the A3 and from $34k for the Golf R. In Europe, the GTI and A3 are priced the same and the Golf R and S3 are priced the same.