GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Life with my Golf

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Thought I'd share my views and comments on living with my new Golf (for those who are interested) and will try to update.
Starting with the collection from Dealer. My very first contact salesman at VW from test drive to purchasing will be my main contact for all problems, help and advice booking services and MOT's etc. (is this the VW way?) at least I know who I'm talking to.
The only minor issue I had when inspecting the car from new was (believe it or not) the black lettering of the back number plate was very patchy - which they remade.
Overall mega happy with the quality, the front car mats are a bit thin to say how much they cost and seem a bit short unless you have your seats well forward, or front passenger has legs stretched out (SWMBO comment).
After a weeks use have noticed a rattle from engine bay at between 2500 and 3000 rpm, dealer will get back to me after consulting tech guys.
Wipers seem OK , no smears:), and the rain sensor works well.
Auto dimming of the rear view mirror is a cool feature.
Tried and now regularly use the speed limiter, in 30 zones it really stops you from speeding, as its so easy to do in this very quiet, agile motor.
Drove first time at night and the interior lighting is well smart.
Had a warning pop up on MFD to check brake light bulb, and sure enough the rear passenger side brake/side light bulb was out. Took the rear light cluster off (yes, you have to remove it to get at bulbs - need any help removing yours, let me know). Problem was that the push-in halogen bulb had fallen out of its connector, strange after only 250 miles on the road!.
Getting used to Auto Hold and Parking Brake, I've found that I need to use higher lift-off revs for hill starts before releasing clutch for hill starts than I'm used to with having a cable handbrake for 30 years.
Only had the "City Emergency Brake" warning once, a car was parked on a tight right hand bend, and as I approached my radar thought a collision was imminent, but as I steered around the bend the warning display and alarm switched off.
OK bored you enough for now.:rolleyes:

bannii

Thought I'd share my views and comments on living with my new Golf (for those who are interested) and will try to update.
Starting with the collection from Dealer. My very first contact salesman at VW from test drive to purchasing will be my main contact for all problems, help and advice booking services and MOT's etc. (is this the VW way?) at least I know who I'm talking to.
The only minor issue I had when inspecting the car from new was (believe it or not) the black lettering of the back number plate was very patchy - which they remade.
Overall mega happy with the quality, the front car mats are a bit thin to say how much they cost and seem a bit short unless you have your seats well forward, or front passenger has legs stretched out (SWMBO comment).
After a weeks use have noticed a rattle from engine bay at between 2500 and 3000 rpm, dealer will get back to me after consulting tech guys.
Wipers seem OK , no smears:), and the rain sensor works well.
Auto dimming of the rear view mirror is a cool feature.
Tried and now regularly use the speed limiter, in 30 zones it really stops you from speeding, as its so easy to do in this very quiet, agile motor.
Drove first time at night and the interior lighting is well smart.
Had a warning pop up on MFD to check brake light bulb, and sure enough the rear passenger side brake/side light bulb was out. Took the rear light cluster off (yes, you have to remove it to get at bulbs - need any help removing yours, let me know). Problem was that the push-in halogen bulb had fallen out of its connector, strange after only 250 miles on the road!.
Getting used to Auto Hold and Parking Brake, I've found that I need to use higher lift-off revs for hill starts before releasing clutch for hill starts than I'm used to with having a cable handbrake for 30 years.
Only had the "City Emergency Brake" warning once, a car was parked on a tight right hand bend, and as I approached my radar thought a collision was imminent, but as I steered around the bend the warning display and alarm switched off.
OK bored you enough for now.:rolleyes:
keep us updated, oh and pics!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, thanks - look forward to more.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
A bit of an update about the rattle noise mentioned in my earlier post, dealer phoned the other day but I was at work so he left a message. After talking to tech guys they say that because the engine is designed to run on higher octane fuel, using anything else will cause this noise, something about UK cars not being fitted with a Knock Sensor? Anyway I will fill up today with the more expensive fuel:( and see how that goes.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
I am really hoping that it cures this issue, because to be honest I love this car, its a pleasure to drive.
Just an update on petrol stats, having done 500 miles now and have been using sport steering - normal engine mode and normal ACC, I am getting 45 to 48 mpg. Just for a change used Eco mode today and for same trip got 51 mpg, well pleased.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I have made the decision to run solely on Shell V-Power, hope the car will be in order.

I've been looking at using more up-market fuels myself, but we have no Shell petrol within about 20 miles in any direction.

We have the option of Esso, Tesco & Asda plus a couple of small brands at expensive garages (Q8 and Gleaner Oils).

What the views on Premium Unleaded from Tesco or Esso?

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Just used my usual Tesco standard unleaded (95 Ron) as I used in my previous cars, but looks like my Golf needs the best, I'll start by using Tesco 98 Ron before venturing into Shell V power etc.

dipth

Ready to race!
Just used my usual Tesco standard unleaded (95 Ron) as I used in my previous cars, but looks like my Golf needs the best, I'll start by using Tesco 98 Ron before venturing into Shell V power etc.

That's not good to hear, as there is only a handful of places that sell anything above 95 in Denmark.
I have a hard time believing that the car shouldn't be able to run properly on 95, since all the material I've seen from VW suggest that it should be able to run on as low as 91

leachmj

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if anything about using high octane fuel can be found in the manual?!

Page 289 of the manual states "the vehicle may be filled with petrol that has a higher octane number than the engine requires. However, this does not provide any advantage in terms of fuel consumption or engine output."