GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 wipers are s**t!

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Mine seem to be working properly now, here was my method:

Remove OEM wipers and incinerate them

Replace with Valeo/SWF wipers (neighbor was visiting Germany, couldn't find the Bosch ones but got these)

Claybar screen with Pinnacle Ultra Fine bar with DP Lube

Clean glass with Stoner Glass w/t Water Repellent.

Tested with water filled spray bottle, noise/shudder is gone. Will only ring true once it rains again here in Texas.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
SWF are OE and proper quality. I still prefer original Volkswagen, as the sell them
separately left and right here in Germany. I usually swap the the driver side blade
twice a year, the passenger side once a year. With the windshield cleaned quite
frequently I seldomly have any issues, but for some reasons (Murphy's law?) the
driver side one always wears quicker . . .

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think most of the problems are down to the fact that at the VW factory & transport the screens get coated in god knows what which bonds to the glass!

Mine where covered in what looked like a smeary film.............so hot water & washing up liquid...no, meths.....no, IPA.....errr no................sod it, clay the lot!..........small difference.................clay again then 4 coats of glass polish then IPA...........ooooooh nice & squeaky clean!

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
They wrap the windscreen during shipping, but I'm wondering if the adhesive leaves a residue that affects the surface tension of the glass.

15GTIGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
In my opinion a $29,000 car should have wiper blades lasting longer than a few months! Mine are terrible and searching for good replacement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
I think most of the problems are down to the fact that at the VW factory & transport the screens get coated in god knows what which bonds to the glass!

Mine where covered in what looked like a smeary film.............so hot water & washing up liquid...no, meths.....no, IPA.....errr no................sod it, clay the lot!..........small difference.................clay again then 4 coats of glass polish then IPA...........ooooooh nice & squeaky clean!

I don't buy this, the apex of the driver side blade does not make firm contact resulting in a smear, it is the blades at fault. Not all blades but enough to result in this thread.

I've had this issue on two out of three mk7s, the Bosch blades worked instantly in both cases.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Went by the dealer today, explained the issue and what I've done so far to rectify the symptoms.

Tech agreed that something wasn't right, and they ended up adjusting the arms themselves. Wipers are much more quiet and smooth now, smearing and chatter is gone.

Service writer said the SWF ones I have are much better than the OEM blades.

Hope this helps.

carl s

Ready to race!
Just picked up a used 2.0 tdi today, experienced the wipers smearing quite badly so have ordered some of the Bosch Aerotwin wipers, I kind of expected it and put it down to a consumable ;-)

MOzGTD

Ready to race!
90% of the 650 miles I've done in my car this far have been in the wet. I live in N Wales so no surprise there.

The wipers are totally fine with no issues whatsoever. I have no idea what the gripes are??

carl s

Ready to race!
90% of the 650 miles I've done in my car this far have been in the wet. I live in N Wales so no surprise there.

The wipers are totally fine with no issues whatsoever. I have no idea what the gripes are??

when the wipers move across they clear the water but leave the screen covered in an opaque film. If you stop the wipers it clears after a couple of seconds. But if the wipers are on constant it's there all the time. Not great for visibility !

It's like they are spreading the water over the screen rather than moving it out of the way.

MOzGTD

Ready to race!
when the wipers move across they clear the water but leave the screen covered in an opaque film. If you stop the wipers it clears after a couple of seconds. But if the wipers are on constant it's there all the time. Not great for visibility !

It's like they are spreading the water over the screen rather than moving it out of the way.

I don't suffer from that at all. Maybe I'm lucky?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Try what another post said.

I don't suffer from that at all. Maybe I'm lucky?

Someone mentioned dealer adjusted wiper arm to get more downward pressure on glass. Try new wiper, try wiper with aero aid to offer more pressure and asks dealer about wiper adjustment. If you do nothing different you will get same results. Keep working in it, take it as a challenge.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
The dealer adjusting the wiper arms helped a bit, though they still chatter/skip quite bad when I use the mist function.

There seems to be some issue where the blade itself is changing direction at the top of the stroke. I don't think there's much that can be done in a DIY, this is something the dealer would have to adjust.