GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI => bad engine

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I haven't heard where a court awarded damages when an auto manufacturer did what they stated they would do in their waranty. They already went beyond by providing him with a free loaner car.

Went beyond by providing a loaner vehicle? They better damn well be giving me or anyone else a free loaner car while the car is being fixed under warranty... Hell other manufacturers even give people loaner cars if the a part is on backorder and the car needs that part replaced for it to function

If I was in OPs situation, if the engine is new or is rebuilt with original parts and made new again I don't think I would worry about it. In this case given that car is brand spanking new, I would be demanding extended warranty or some form of credits... At the end of the day that's probably worth more then just getting a brand new engine VS rebuilt, but nothing else

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
There is no proven depreciation for that outside the scope of average new vehicle depreciation (for vehicle value and insurance purposes). I guess it really depends who you sell to.

Riddle me this.....

If OP decides to trade in his GTI three years from now on the new MK8, and VW pulls the service records, do you think he'll get the exact same trade in amount as if he didn't have the engine replaced?

My guess is no, but that's just a guess.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
Not totally the same thing, but I feel it might be relatable... Most states have laws allowing you to sue/collect for depreciation on your vehicle following an accident that you were not at fault for. If CA has a law similar to that, I wonder if this could somehow fall into that looking at things from a depreciate standpoint anyway? Maybe even contact your insurance as well and see what their take would be on having a brand new car with a reman engine put in, does this lower your cars value in their eyes? If so, would your rates be adjusted as well? Seeing how they view things could be a good perspective.

Also, call a second or third dealer, explain the situation (without naming your dealer that has the car) and see if they think a reman engine would lower a cars trade in value? Or even just call and inquire about trading in a car with a replaced engine, does that affect their appraisal?

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
To me it obviously does, there are tons of used GTI's out there, why would you buy the one with a remanu engine after 100 miles? Guess that might not necessarily effect resale value but does lower my pool of potential buyers.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Riddle me this.....

If OP decides to trade in his GTI three years from now on the new MK8, and VW pulls the service records, do you think he'll get the exact same trade in amount as if he didn't have the engine replaced?

The answer as proven by multiple members on here is yes. Actually that's not quite true, the real answer ultimately depends on the dealership and the area you live. A trade in where you live may go for 15k, but where I live would go for 20k or the other way around for example. I answered your question in the post you quoted by the way, "I guess it really depends who you sell to".

You are however, confusing VW and a dealership. The two really have nothing to do with each other in the way most people think. When you trade a car in, you are dealing with the dealership and not VW. Not sure why that is so confusing for people.

Also not sure why people are confusing "rebuilt" and re-manufactured.

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The answer as proven by multiple members on here is yes. Actually that's not quite true, the real answer ultimately depends on the dealership and the area you live. A trade in where you live may go for 15k, but where I live would go for 20k or the other way around for example. I answered your question in the post you quoted by the way, "I guess it really depends who you sell to".

I was more posing a hypothetical question, assuming everything else is equal. I've seen some dealers run carfax and pickup an accident report, and others, take the same vehicle on trade without running a carfax and noting a accident, so, to your point, it depends. But, there is definitely the potential, that down the road, this could impact resale value.

You are however, confusing VW and a dealership. The two really have nothing to do with each other in the way most people think. When you trade a car in, you are dealing with the dealership and not VW. Not sure why that is so confusing for people.

Also not sure why people are confusing "rebuilt" and re-manufactured.

I'm not confusing the two. I understand the warranty is through VW and not the dealership, as well as the difference between used, remanufactured, and new. That's why i posed a hypothetical question, same exact car, sale dealership, one with a service record of a replaced engine (regardless of replacement type), the other, without. I'd think, if said hypothetical dealership pulled the maintenance records, the car with the engine replaced would take a hit. Maybe I'm wrong, IDK. But I think that potential is there regardless of the replacement type.

OP isn't getting a new car out of this. He might be able to get a new engine, although that's doubtful based on what VW is telling him. He probably has a better chance of getting an extended warranty or some other compensation. That's the approach I'd take at least.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I talked to my father, defense side of lemon law. And he advised me that a reman engine meets the requirements of the dealer legally. But, because the engine failed a day after ownership, is in breach of its IMPLIED WARRANTY. As a result, they should buy back the car or place you in a new one of equal or greater value.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Riddle me this.....

Three years from now? Absolutely.

My last car had the transmission replaced with a few thousand miles on it. I didn't hear a peep about it when I traded it in four years later and I don't think it even showed up on the Carfax.

As long as the car is properly repaired, it won't be an issue. We're not talking about a Porsche 911 GT3 here where every maintenance action on the car will be scrutinized 40 years down the road when the car is a collectible. If his GTI is properly repaired at 200 miles, no one is going to give a shit 40k miles down the road, or even 10k miles down the road.

"Pulling the service records" is really rather meaningless. No one actually does that and it's not going to prove much even if they do.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Sorry to hear all this OP. Sounds like a shitty deal. I would say if it was me, I would get a new car or new engine. There are easy and hard way to do that. I wouldn't settle for a "reman" engine, yes mechaincs on here say its the same thing (i get that) but it will hurt your resell value in the future. Also its just unacceptable to buy a new car and it shits the bed in 1 week. Maybe it wont get fixed in under 30 so you can do a lemon. you can also blast them on reviews ect. I know alot of dealers lose huge incentives if they dont get their x/y reviews. Good luck

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
He cannot insist on anything. This falls under the principle of tort law where the he was offered to be made whole.

Nonsense. He can and should continue to fight for a different outcome. You would just roll over on this if it were you? Hilarious.

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Contact your consumer protection bureau. They may not be able to advise you on legal matters but they can reach out to VW on your behalf and believe me, that gets attention.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Having to wait at all for an engine on a 1 week old car is unacceptable.

I would push for a buy back/ replacement.

You cant lemon law the car yet because it does not meet the requirements as they have not even begun the "first repair".

What they should do is put you in a 2018 SE.

Why? Do you think they stock complete engines in a local VW parts depot? I don't know if the engines are made in Mexico or Germany but I would expect there would be some shipping time. One week is not a big deal as long as the OP is given a decent loaner.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Why? Do you think they stock complete engines in a local VW parts depot? I don't know if the engines are made in Mexico or Germany but I would expect there would be some shipping time. One week is not a big deal as long as the OP is given a decent loaner.

I agree, dont agree with the whole thing. Im interested in the outcome but, this being said, they def dont stock whole engines. I would say noone probably does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Nonsense. He can and should continue to fight for a different outcome. You would just roll over on this if it were you? Hilarious.

He's not "rolling over". He's getting a remanufactured engine that is in essence the equal of a new engine. He has gone through all the channels to see if he can get a brand new engine and there is no way to do this.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Contact your consumer protection bureau. They may not be able to advise you on legal matters but they can reach out to VW on your behalf and believe me, that gets attention.

Why would they take up this case? VW is living up to their warranty. They are not doing anything wrong.