GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reverse - first - reverse

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Reverse - back up - Out of reverse, down to 2nd, up to 1st - drive away. This should eliminate any possibility of accidentally going back into reverse.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Reverse - back up - Out of reverse, down to 2nd, up to 1st - drive away. This should eliminate any possibility of accidentally going back into reverse.

Nah he's talking about the fact that the manual gearboxes have a problem that you think you are in reverse & your are not but in 1st...so you try again...& fail....I had it & having VAG cars all manual & mechanicing on numerous VAG cars over 23yrs the gear linkage on the MK7 has way too much slop...even an alignment can't cure....all metal parts does solve it...:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Nah he's talking about the fact that the manual gearboxes have a problem that you think you are in reverse & your are not but in 1st...so you try again...& fail....I had it & having VAG cars all manual & mechanicing on numerous VAG cars over 23yrs the gear linkage on the MK7 has way too much slop...even an alignment can't cure....all metal parts does solve it...:cool:

I don't know then... I've never had an issue.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
ive ordered the cable end bushings from awesome GTI the relay lever cant be bought on its own you need to buy the cable the shoe and a washer as its a kit total cost £51.46

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
ive ordered the cable end bushings from awesome GTI the relay lever cant be bought on its own you need to buy the cable the shoe and a washer as its a kit total cost £51.46

Which cable eye bushes did you buy??...NOT the MK7 Golf kit as that only fits the plastic relay lever & NOT the metal one...

The relay lever as I showed you in the link has the plastic shoe which you need & the cable eye...no cable...

You also need either the plastic top hat bushes for the relay lever pivot or buy the 42DD brass/ones as I linked to in the above post...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...-designs-shifter-bushing-kit-6-speed-my10-14/

these are the ones i ordered
the relay lever is £31.86
the cable is £13.61
the shoe is £5.40
and a washer is £0.59
they wont split it

that 42dd kit won't work with the all metal relay lever its for a plastic relay lever...as it shows in the pictures..

as for the vW dealer what are the part numbers as there is no cable as these are always separate items....

I did link to the correct item which is made up of the "E" guide shoe, a black plastic eye, & the metal relay lever...& maybe one metal retaining clip

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'll repeat what I said earlier but extra clear...

First order the relay lever from the VW parts dept. at the dealers.

Item number 47
Part number to order is:- 1J0711202J

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/g...711-711030/#47

From my how to guide for my MQ250 & NOT your MQ350:-
Item 47:- 1J0 711 202P is a kit which comprises all the following items:-
1J0 711 203 L – Metal side to side lever £ 27.14
Item 43:- 1J0 711 550 – White plastic “E” shape guide £4.57
Item 46:- 1J0 711 761 C – Black plastic Bowen cable end £11.51
Item 20:- N 908 159 03 – Retaining washer, metal clip £0.58

For a full OEM factory set-up you still require these extra items:-
Item 48:- 1J0 711 067 L White plastic bearing bushing for main pivot, £1.67 (x2)
N 908 159 03 – Retaining washer, metal Clip £0.58 (x1)

Your No.47 part number will contain the same parts as my No.47 BUT the metal side to side lever will be the opposite shape to mine which is correct for your car. You still have to order the other parts listed above also.

HOWEVER for full metal DO NOT order the Item 48:- 1J0 711 067 L White plastic bearing bushing for main pivot, £1.67 (x2)

Instead order the 42DD brass shifter relay lever bushes here:-
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...t-designs-brass-shifter-relay-lever-bushings/

Then you order the 42DD solid bushes to replace the rubber bushes in the Bowden cable catches/eyes & will fit the metal pivots.
this kit:-
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/42-draft-designs-shifter-bushing-kit-mk5-6-speed-my07/

You also need to order the diesel geek gearstick shaft bushes made from delrin. This allows 100% accurate alignment of the cables etc. otherwise the above is still useless as I have found out. Order these & you get hit £12 UK import tax I know expensive...but worth it for zero slop..

Diesel geek item to order:-
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-shaft-bushings-for-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle

Then you can fit 42DD solid alu bushes to replace the existing rubber ones on the main cable bracket (made of black plastic), and or fit a solid metal bracket in its place...still need the 42DD bushes fro the metal

Last edited: