GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emby's MK7 GTI Build Thread

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread will be continually updated to document my experience with the MK7 GTI.

My intentions are to build a simple, OEM+ daily driver. The primary focus is to utilize strategically planned modifications to enhance the driving experience.

Initial Factory Order:
2015 MK7 GTI
2-Door
DSG
White Exterior
Plaid Interior
Performance Package
18" Wheels
Summer Tires

Planned Modifications:
Ceramic Window Tint (20% All Around)
Black Vinyl'ed Roof
Chromium Turn Signal Indicator Bulbs
Coils/DG Springs
Wheel Spacers
H&R Rear Sway Bar
Catless Downpipe
AWE/Neuspeed Intake
GIAC Tune
AWE OEM K04
S3 Intercooler
Gecleant Rear Wiper Delete

Last edited:

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
Must. Change. Wheels.

I am not feeling the new wheel options at all. Granted, it took me a long time to warm up to Huffs/Detroits, but I just can't see it right now with these.

2PointSLO

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1998 Mk3, 2011 Mk6
don't forget...

Must. Change. Steering Wheel.

ha...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
A build thread almost a year out from an actual release? hmmmmm

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
A build thread almost a year out from an actual release? hmmmmm

it's like he's living the dream... :D

this build looks very promising. cant wait to see it

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
K04 wont fit FYI. Gonna have to start looking into models with the same exhaust manifold.

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
K04 wont fit FYI. Gonna have to start looking into models with the same exhaust manifold.

We'll see. It's going to be a weird situation with the manifold integrated into the head. Some have speculated that the next size up OEM turbo (likely the K04 or equivalent) will just bolt right up without any need for manifold/head replacement or modification. It'll be interesting to see how the aftermarket handles BT applications for this car, but that's not my concern.

Everything we know about the MQB A3 and S3 thus far (albeit limited) suggests that it'll be a direct turbo swap. The A3 will be available with the same third-gen EA888 2.0T that the MK7 GTI is getting. The S3 will have a higher output version of this third-gen EA888 that makes 296hp/280tq. I'm hoping the turbo used in that motor bolts right up to this car. We shall see...

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
I've updated my first post as new information has been released.

A few points as I've had some time to digest the MK7:

-Steering wheel has grown on me. I still don't love it like I love the MK6 wheel, but I don't hate it anymore. The aluminum trim around the spokes is gorgeous.

-I've grown to like the OEM 18" wheels. Additionally, VWoA is saying that summer tires will again be available so assuming I can get that 18" that I like with summer tires, I'll just stick with that. The plan is to use spacers to make the wheel fit a little better (No, nothing hellaflush, bro).

-VWoA is now saying that the Performance Package will make it here in some form or another. They haven't ironed out packaging or trim levels yet, but I want the differential and upgraded logo'ed brakes.

Last edited:

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
These are the wheels I was referring to that I like.

VWoA: Please let me spec these wheels with the summer tire option from the factory.

This is what mine will look like when she comes (less the radar sensor in the grill, no way the US is getting that):