GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whelp... I'm one of the rare ones.

AR11

Ready to race!
Those of you that have had the haldex replaced -- if within the warranty period did the dealer replace this under warranty or did they jerk you around at all ("abuse", etc)? Tuned cars excluded, obviously.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Those of you that have had the haldex replaced -- if within the warranty period did the dealer replace this under warranty or did they jerk you around at all ("abuse", etc)? Tuned cars excluded, obviously.

If you're under warranty, untuned, and have proof of maintenance, a dealer ~can't~ jerk you around because of "abuse." The only thing I could think of that would be something they can stand on, would be if they can view how many times you've used Launch Control, and VW has that as a stipulation of "use/abuse."

Otherwise it's a part of the drivetrain, which has a 5 year/60K mile warranty, meaning if it breaks, then they fix it for you.

AR11

Ready to race!
If you're under warranty, untuned, and have proof of maintenance, a dealer ~can't~ jerk you around because of "abuse." The only thing I could think of that would be something they can stand on, would be if they can view how many times you've used Launch Control, and VW has that as a stipulation of "use/abuse."

Otherwise it's a part of the drivetrain, which has a 5 year/60K mile warranty, meaning if it breaks, then they fix it for you.

Tell that to the handfuls of people with clutches slipping under stock power who have been denied a warranty replacement on the basis that no defect was found (and therefore it must have been "user error").

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Clutches, brakes, and tires are typically excluded from automotive warranties as they are classified as "wear items." These exclusions are always spelled out in your warranty, though few people actually ever read them. Unless any of these parts wear out at an unreasonable rate, say 5K-10K miles (and never been raced), you won't find any manufacturer that will replace them, unless you have a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty which stipulates that such parts are covered.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
That's funny because today I literally just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. AND, Greico offers 'breakdown coverage' which covers mechanical malfunctions that the warranty doesn't for 7 years. I opted for this thinking specifically of the Haldex system.

I bet that the night before you made that decision, you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Tell that to the handfuls of people with clutches slipping under stock power who have been denied a warranty replacement on the basis that no defect was found (and therefore it must have been "user error").

Well okay that's the only other one lol, but that one is ~somewhat~ more reasonable from VW's perspective, even though we all know it's still bullshit.

Member1

The only thing I could think of that would be something they can stand on, would be if they can view how many times you've used Launch Control, and VW has that as a stipulation of "use/abuse."

In the United States the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits such conditions or exclusions.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
In the United States the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits such conditions or exclusions.

I believe you, but I'd bet that VW would refuse a warranty claim on a Haldex unit if a car had logged that LC had been used on several occasions, even if it hadn't been used in over a year when the failure occurred. At the end of the day the people working at VW corporate who give the ultimate yes/no on warranty work are balancing expectations of whether someone is going to litigate. VW can deny warranty claims all day if they don't believe someone will take them to court (most won't).

Member1

I believe you, but I'd bet that VW would refuse a warranty claim on a Haldex unit if a car had logged that LC had been used on several occasions, even if it hadn't been used in over a year when the failure occurred. At the end of the day the people working at VW corporate who give the ultimate yes/no on warranty work are balancing expectations of whether someone is going to litigate. VW can deny warranty claims all day if they don't believe someone will take them to court (most won't).

I’d guess VWoA is a little leary of breaking any United States federal laws right now. As you say though, it does come down to the individual.

Anyway, knowledge is power and if given a “no, because launches” answer on a Haldex replacement that I felt strongly should be covered under warranty I’d say:
1) Are you familar with federal law that prohibits such exclusions?
2) Is that your final answer?
3) What’s your name?
4) Why? Because I’m gonna make you “Internet Famous”!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I’d guess VWoA is a little leary of breaking any United States federal laws right now. As you say though, it does come down to the individual.

Anyway, knowledge is power and if given a “no, because launches” answer on a Haldex replacement that I felt strongly should be covered under warranty I’d say:
1) Are you familar with federal law that prohibits such exclusions?
2) Is that your final answer?
3) What’s your name?
4) Why? Because I’m gonna make you “Internet Famous”!

haha i totally agree with you man, it'd be ridiculous for a company to deny warranty claims because you used a function that was included in the vehicle from the factory lol, but apparently Nissan has been doing it for years with Skyline GTR owners

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
haha i totally agree with you man, it'd be ridiculous for a company to deny warranty claims because you used a function that was included in the vehicle from the factory lol, but apparently Nissan has been doing it for years with Skyline GTR owners

All manufacturers do it.

Mitsubishi was voiding warranties for track use back in the day. At one point I think they were even giving away scca memberships if you bought an evo. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/evo-owners-decry-warranty-rejections-car-news

Acura actually printed a guys forum posts complete with his mod list and photos of his car with the license plate to deny warranty work on his RSX back when I had one.