GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If The MQB S3 Is Any Indication Of The MK7 Golf R...

DAS_STIG

Banned
bring over all the transmissions! i think it'll work better for VW, but only they know their finances. i suppose if they keep it a limited production run of 5000, it may only pay if they bring over one transmission and homologate that. i know there was the crowd that complained the MKV was only DSG, but there was also a crowd that complained that the MK6 was only manual. it seems like the MKV and MK6 R's had trouble selling off the lots, which would lead me to believe that if they brought over both transmissions, both crowds would be happy, and snatch up more new cars.

either way... maybe they'll bring over the S3 in DSG and the golf R in manual or something? would be a tough call that way lol. would love to have the launch capabilities of a DSG with that S3 drivetrain.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I hate to say this... but I WILL trade-in my stg2 Mk6 R if :

(i) The MK7 R comes with that new S3 engine AND
(ii) There is room for tuning potential, hopefully VW has understood by now that for these cars you shouldn't lock or incript the ECU and that it is essential to allow for the possibility of aftermarket upgrades.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I hate to say this... but I WILL trade-in my stg2 Mk6 R if :

(i) The MK7 R comes with that new S3 engine AND
(ii) There is room for tuning potential, hopefully VW has understood by now that for these cars you shouldn't lock or incript the ECU and that it is essential to allow for the possibility of aftermarket upgrades.

APR Has already mentioned an OEM turbo swap will be available. :)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
APR Has already mentioned an OEM turbo swap will be available. :)

Good to hear, was getting worried a bit with the new integrated manifold

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So is the S3 still coming with a K03? Is the turbo swap then upgrading to a K04 or GT28?

I'm assuming its with coming from the factory with a K04 and there is a different OEM solution that APR has come up with it. No details, but just a statement on their facebook page about a week ago.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I think you misread APR's statement Grambles. They were saying that there would be a nice OEM swap for the base 2.0T that will come in the GTI/A3 and then they went into discussing the S3. The way I read it they were saying the S3 turbo (probably k04) will be an easy OEM swap to the GTI/A3 engine (probably k03).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think you misread APR's statement Grambles. They were saying that there would be a nice OEM swap for the base 2.0T that will come in the GTI/A3 and then they went into discussing the S3. The way I read it they were saying the S3 turbo (probably k04) will be an easy OEM swap to the GTI/A3 engine (probably k03).

Makes more sense. I was confused as to which turbo they could swap since K04 is practically the limit on the VAG OEM engines.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That would depend on the internals. They're using a gtx2867 in their MK6 R stg3 package with no internals swapping.

Yes, we know that....we also know that the same EA888 engine is being used so we're bound to run roughly 450whp before we get into bent rod territory.

I wasnt saying a K04 upgrade is the limit, I'm saying that VW doesnt really use anything beyond K04 on their OEM vehicles.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Which I guess means the cabin is as quiet or quieter than the MK6.

Stock exhaust is bound to be a whisper with the new Euro drive by Db. limit being so strict.