GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic stop-start

matthvm

I have a Golf trendline 2.5 Liter gas engine . i was watching an article about the 2013 Golf over in Europe on DW (German TV) , The Golf along with other cars in Europe have a feature called "automatic stop - start" .This feature say if you stuck in traffic automatically stops the engine when you step on the brake pedal for a determined time then restarts after you take your foot off the brake .
My question is why carmakers have it in North America ? It saves gas .

Last edited:

TDR-380

Passed Driver's Ed
I get worried about it when it's grid lock and it turns on and off every 3 seconds to move then stop... move again... I guess you can just disable the feature by holding the button for a few seconds yeah?

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
just push the button once near the gear stick to turn it off, no holding or anything. if you want it off everytime you got to repress it at the start of every journey just, but its good in normal driving when you come to lights.

Johnnieboy

Not sure why you would want to turn the 'stop / start' off..... is there a disadvantage to just leaving it engaged all the time?

I'm not arguing the case, just interested in other's views. I picked up my Mk7 1.4 last week, and hve tried to 'beat' the stop start system, but it is so quick and seamless that I'm growing to like it!

A guy in a Jaguar sat next to me in a stationary queue with his v8 on a fast tick over, and I haad a warm glow as i sat with my engine off, looking after itself!

Matrick

Passed Driver's Ed
I have to agree that the stop start is pretty seamless, even with my DSG box. I get on fine with mine.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
some people like it off in certain driving situations, such as driveing in bumper to bumper traffic with a few metres moveing with a 5 second stop. gets annoying haveing to stop start every time, its also no good driving where theres lots of roundabouts. like where I live there are 5 or 6 just to drive into the town centre not even 2 mile down the road. ok in normal driveing but in traffic its a c$#@ if it kicks in when youve just put the boot down to go. takes a few seconds to get going if it only kicks in when you want to go.

I like it and leave it on as im used to how much brake on my dsg will put the auto hold on or not and how much more to make stop start kick in. I do understand at some times but it can piss you off but overall its great and works as it should.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Can auto-stop be disabled via the MFD, or does it have to be done on a "per-trip" basis using the button?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I think it's a per-trip thing.

Rats - I was hoping it was similar to that on my Mum's new A1 Sportback 1.4TFSi where it can be disabled via MFD :(

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
yea per trip, but its better on once you get the hang of it. its there to save fuel at the end of the day and it does. its not every journey you want it off and to be honest id be pissed off more if I had to enable it every time. the few times you dont want it on all you do is press the button right next to the gear stick when you put it gear.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Guess I'll have to wait and see once the new toy is delivered.

I've got bad memories of the original stop/start on Formel-E Golf/Polo models back in the early eighties.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
its come a long way from then and even in the last five years, once you get used to it theres nothing in it really. you get to know how far to push the brake to hold without it going on if you dont want it on that time. you know when to hit the gas at lights to move off perfectly etc. its like everything new but once you get used to it and see how well it works and saves fuel, youll be asking yourself why its not in every car lol.

I love the e brake now even tho I hated the passet one I drove, love the dsg gearbox and think its amazing compared to all my other cars.