GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
It's definitely not the same suspension & brakes.

But I'm sure it will still be 5x112...

Front is exactly the same as MKVI, check out the technical analysis that came out.... rear looks updated, but the front is identical.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Front is exactly the same as MKVI, check out the technical analysis that came out.... rear looks updated, but the front is identical.

front is quite different:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34&d=1347501056

just golfs in that pic, but even there you see many changes.

edit:
my bad, you're talking suspension and the such... even there the technical analysis shows many changes. might be same overall setup, but spring rates and the such will be different, at a minimum.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

Caliper is not the same at all....

MK6

MK7

The suspension layout looks pretty similar though. The rear subframe, trailing arm and control arm all looks pretty close to how it looks like now.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I stand corrected, they look the same on the blue car? Weird, regardless should still be the same pattern. Don't see VW retooling for no reason... it's all about saving a buck.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
All 3 cars in the pics had the same brake setup, which I am assuming is the base version. The caliper now have no anti-rattle clip/spring thingy....Its strange how the new caliper jumped out at me, but I had probably swapped the pads 5-6 times this summer between my track pads and street pads....:D

If VW was willing to go to a different caliper in the rear between 2010 and 2011, they probably won't lose any sleep going from MK6 to MK7...

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
All 3 cars in the pics had the same brake setup, which I am assuming is the base version. The caliper now have no anti-rattle clip/spring thingy....Its strange how the new caliper jumped out at me, but I had probably swapped the pads 5-6 times this summer between my track pads and street pads....:D

If VW was willing to go to a different caliper in the rear between 2010 and 2011, they probably won't lose any sleep going from MK6 to MK7...

I still think the wheel patern will be the same

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
instead of 16-inch brakes, the GTI is equipped with 17-inch brakes here

How did anyone not notice the biggest upgrade??? ;)

The little quarter windows on the front don't look right....they should stay on the Honda Fit.

Only the sunroof equipped vehicles get the blacked out roof?

Also, other than the rear window side "fins"/deflectors.....anyone notice how prominent the rear defroster lines are???
It's the first thing that pops out when I look at the back of the car!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I definitely noticed that too. After studying the engine pics for about 30mins I noticed the following:

- Short Intake run length to the compressor inlet. (Opposite of the bay)
- Oil Cap has been moved. Looks like it fills the chain tensioner area first now.
- Oil Filter ultilizes the DSG Filter housing cap now. Much like the FSI
- ECU has been rellocated to the engine bay between the battery and fuse box.
- Intake box has a smaller, what I'm assuming, SAI breather line.
- Intake manifold Cover
- Engine cover looks awesome
- Exposed turbo. (Seems IHI makes this one too judging by the branding
- Engine mount looks the same design. Expect upgrades to be easy.
- Washer fluid reservoir has moved to the opposite side of the bay
- Intake RAM ducting runs the length of the front end

So is this a new TSI or a slightly modified one or what?

DAS_STIG

Banned
So is this a new TSI or a slightly modified one or what?

it's a highly modified next generation engine. integrated exhaust manifold in head, different cooling setup, both direct and port fuel injection, uses audi's variable valve timing on the exhaust side... hopefully a bigger turbo, but highly doubt it. many other changes. aluminum block instead of cast iron i believe as well?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Did not even notice those side fins till you pointed it out. Nice aero trick to cut down on drag, these ( bigger ones ) were on the golf 24 car. Defroster lines do stick out a lot...

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
it's a highly modified next generation engine. integrated exhaust manifold in head, different cooling setup, both direct and port fuel injection, uses audi's variable valve timing on the exhaust side... hopefully a bigger turbo, but highly doubt it. many other changes. aluminum block instead of cast iron i believe as well?

Seems like it will be much harder for turbo upgrades..