GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is great about the new Golf Mk7?

Ron Stig

I was interested to read what annoys owners about the new Golf but I didn't see a specific thread about what is great about it.
I've had a Mk 2 GTi and a Mark 6 and loved them both but this one is so much better.
Compared to the Mark 6 what is great about the Mark 7 for me is as follows:
I like that you can choose the interior colour - I went for Shetland and find it makes such a nice change from dreary black.
This 1.4TSi is a lot pokier than my old 1.4.
The interior lighting is really plush along with puddle lights on the mirrors. The long thin light along the door trim is well cool.
I love the electronic handbrake. Had one on my old Espace but this is better and especially alongside my DSG gearbox.
Also the DSG has imperceptible changes and even if I use the paddles, the changes are exceptionally smooth. My Mk6 was DSG but this one is better.
It is even quieter than the Mk 6 which goes for the engine, heater fan, wind noise etc. Really excellent.
Although I've the adaptive suspension, the ride is also better than the Mk 6. Even in normal mode, it corners a lot sharper than my Mk 6 did.
The xenon headlights are so much better than normal ones and well worth the money (although I can't say I'd find another £400 for the led running lights - personal choice).
I also like the way the fog lights assist the main lights when cornering at low speed.
The cruise control buttons are easier to use now they are on the steering wheel and the adaptive cruise control is a boon in congested traffic.
Overall, this is one of the best cars I have ever had.

dickt

Ready to race!
1. Whilst various things about the infotainment system could be improved, I have to say that once I'd set it up to pair with my 4 year old Samsung Android, it has connected better and quicker than any other bluetooth that I've ever used.
2. The music played through bluetooth is also good, but as that uses phone energy, I've put in an sd card and the system plays that very well indeed.
3. The cornering lights are helpful. I did not know I'd got them.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I was interested to read what annoys owners about the new Golf but I didn't see a specific thread about what is great about it.
I've had a Mk 2 GTi and a Mark 6 and loved them both but this one is so much better.
Compared to the Mark 6 what is great about the Mark 7 for me is as follows:
I like that you can choose the interior colour - I went for Shetland and find it makes such a nice change from dreary black.
This 1.4TSi is a lot pokier than my old 1.4.
The interior lighting is really plush along with puddle lights on the mirrors. The long thin light along the door trim is well cool.
I love the electronic handbrake. Had one on my old Espace but this is better and especially alongside my DSG gearbox.
Also the DSG has imperceptible changes and even if I use the paddles, the changes are exceptionally smooth. My Mk6 was DSG but this one is better.
It is even quieter than the Mk 6 which goes for the engine, heater fan, wind noise etc. Really excellent.
Although I've the adaptive suspension, the ride is also better than the Mk 6. Even in normal mode, it corners a lot sharper than my Mk 6 did.
The xenon headlights are so much better than normal ones and well worth the money (although I can't say I'd find another £400 for the led running lights - personal choice).
I also like the way the fog lights assist the main lights when cornering at low speed.
The cruise control buttons are easier to use now they are on the steering wheel and the adaptive cruise control is a boon in congested traffic.
Overall, this is one of the best cars I have ever had.

The static cornering lights by the way work separately from your fogs.
There is a separate H7 (55w ) mounted light near the main light.

Last edited:

Ron Stig

Would you still spec the adaptive chassis control knowing what you know now with the ride quality?
Yes I would as I find the sport mode great for driving on twisty roads where you want to tank round the bends. Also, some reviews I've read about the Mk7 all said it was worth getting the adaptive suspension which is why I chose it in the first place. However, if your main concern is the ride quality then it is excellent in normal mode.:)

ept

Ready to race!
Personally I think the Adaptive Distance Control is fantastic when on a long motorway journey just set your speed and the system takes care of the rest magic.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
Love the dsg gearbox, first golf and dsg and cant believe why every new car hasnt got this kind of set up. Preiously had a 09 astra with mesh box and it was quick of the mark but other then that its outter s***. Was getting at best average mpg late 30's and town was at 28. Had the golf three days and done 200 miles averageing near 50 mpg driving round town. Cant wait till long summer trips with the mpg I should get and how good the acc is with distance assist.

Dmk69

This is my first golf and must say what a great car it is.First it's a DSG which is also a first for me and with the paddle it's great,touch screen infotainment is good.Great interior and comfortable,quiet and just all round a great car.Fuel is about the same as my old a1 1.6 but that's going improve when more miles are on the clock.As my last 4 cars where audis volkswagen have improved the golf better than say the a3 sport back and with the equipment standard on gt is far superior than a3 what choice is there?

andyo33

I have a standard 1.6tdi se and coming from a 2010 1.6tdi s jetta the quality in the ride and road noise is fab.

it feels a quality car, the steering wheel is a good size, nice leather and all the buttons are in a logical place. we have 2 kids under 3 and the golf does all we need, enough cubby holes to store stuff and a boot that will swallow the pram and still have room for more.

i'm lucky its on my company car list (just, only changed from the mk6 1.6tdi match in march) and finaincially its great with low tax / co2.

not sure on the ambient lighting, does my model not have it? all the instruments light up a lovely white, but nothing in the footwells,on the doorcards etc.

my dad got a mk2 1.8gl (tornado red) brand new in 1988, still running today, he always said a golf is all you need. I think he was right

Essjay

Ready to race!
Andy,
Unfortunately the SE doesn't have the ambient lighting feature, this is a feature of the GT and above.:(

PJ954

I had the Mk6 GT and now have the Mk7 GT.

I love the e-brake now I am used to it, and I am even beginning (slowly) to warm to the bluemotion. I also like the auto-folding mirrors when I park up, and much more suitable seats for my bad back.

I wouldn't say that there is anything I really dislike about it, but there are several gadgets that I have switched off for a nicer and more 'in control' driving experience.

BleezyD

Ready to race!
Man, you guys are making me so envious! Cant wait until the 7's make it to the states!

rsreid2000

I had the Mk6 GT and now have the Mk7 GT.

I love the e-brake now I am used to it, and I am even beginning (slowly) to warm to the bluemotion. I also like the auto-folding mirrors when I park up, and much more suitable seats for my bad back.

I wouldn't say that there is anything I really dislike about it, but there are several gadgets that I have switched off for a nicer and more 'in control' driving experience.

I too love the e-brake and the stop/start. Hate it on my wife's mini and didn't think I'd use it on the Golf, but its great, couldn't be without it now.