GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Golf R Brakes + LSD??? Wow.....not bad at ALL! Slap a K04 on it and we're golden.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Although this will take time to prove. If the car is coming stock with almost 260lbtq hopefully they have increased the strength of the clutch disk on this generation. Obviously this won't be known until it has been tested for many miles.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Although this will take time to prove. If the car is coming stock with almost 260lbtq hopefully they have increased the strength of the clutch disk on this generation. Obviously this won't be known until it has been tested for many miles.

I'm sure it is.

During the development of vehicles, industry standards REQUIRE OEMs to subject many many many brutal durability testing to look for possible warranty claims, failure points, corrosion, and signs of wear. This normally happens about 1-1.5 year(s) before mass production actually hits.

Seeing as though this car is probably a pre-production build lot (One lot of about 4 across a span of a year) I'm sure they've hammered out most start of production kinks. The plate should hold the spec for the torque rating and THEN some.

Knowing VW and some of their quality representatives personally, they were aware of the clutch issues even on stock vehicles. I'm not sure how much they've gone into countermeasuring it, but most OEMs put focus on high hitting warraty items during development.

JoeInKS

Correct me please..........

They're finally going to have automatic lights and air conditioning?

Yes, I like a little bit of silly convenience.

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!
Liking it, not in love, but I'm sure it'll grow on me. I own a mk6 and it didn't knock my socks off when it was unveiled either, but now i love it. Few things irk me though... That red stripe through the headlights and the huge amount of shiny fake carbon fiber looking plastic they use on the dash. I really like the matte plastic they're using now in the mk6. As far as the side badges go, nothing dental floss can't fix. Performance wise, not bad. Not sure who will get the performance model when tuners will be getting much higher figures, but the changes to the powertrain and weight reduction are always welcome.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Correct me please..........

They're finally going to have automatic lights and air conditioning?

Yes, I like a little bit of silly convenience.

Not sure if you're serious. They've had AC for many many many many many years and Automatic lights are mostly on EU models currently.

Blueteam

Ready to race!
I like very much!

The steering wheel is all important to me.

The wheel itself looks awsome..

the buttons on the steering wheel are very chinese ish... They look like they are straying from there formula of simple geometric shapes

I like the make 6 buttons alot more..

The rest of the car looks great to me... I love the plad seats and red stripe in the front..

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Not sure if you're serious. They've had AC for many many many many many years and Automatic lights are mostly on EU models currently.

Maybe he meant automatic ac? Which Ive got in my MKV. Also, the R models came with automatic headlights, and you can retrofit them into the GTI if you replace the windshield.

What the crap is this performance pack garbage? I thought the GTI was the performance pack...?

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
So I really took a look at the rear suspension pictures and noticed that we'll probably not be able to transfer any of our suspension kits (Coilovers and struts) to the MK7 platform. Look how the rear strut has a new mounting location. It attachs to the loer control arm instead of the spindle like it does on the mk6.

I guess we'll have to wait and hear from suspension vendors on if we can transfer parts over. I really think nothing from the engine will be a direct swap. Grambles yes the motor mounts looks similar, this isn't a huge difference but the part from the top of the mount to the body is definitely different.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Tell me we're getting that Blue in the U.S.

Really.
I thought the white looked good 'till I saw the blue.

If there is a blue like this available state side when my lease is up, I'll step right out of my MKVI Shadow Blue - ito a MKVII.

I'm not wowed by anything, but perhaps more importantly - I'm not put off by anything.
Don't mind the red stripe. (might even like it)
Don't mind the fender badge.
Love how they kept and emphasized the strakes in the lower intake!

I'm not too thrilled about the appearance of the wider spokes on the steering wheel - but we'll have to see.

No deal breakers, plus the car is a little more roomy, a little lowere in the roof, a little lighter, and a little faster.

Who am I to argue?

And if I don't trade up?
Well, the VII is so similar to the VI that it won't be killing me when I see one.
The average person on the street wouldn't even notice the difference.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Computer next to the battery, 2 things about this... On the plus side, it will be easy for the tuners to access it, unless some kind of crazy firewall is installed (it will be cracked regardless). Other thing, I hope it's well protected/sealed, because a computer next to a battery is never a good thing, more corrosion is caused from the fumes of the acid in the battery. Same thing goes for us with harsh winters and salt on the roads...