GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are your thoughts on dash cams?

Snaptag

Ready to race!
This post made me think about dash cams and whether or not they are useful.

I have a GoPro, which is excellent, but apparently not suitable for use as a dedicated dash cam. I was involved in an accident about two years ago (nothing serious). Police did attend and wrote a report stating I was not liable. Nevertheless the other party did not agree with this and sent a lawyer my way to demand over $20k to cover for the damages. It all ended well, but I could have saved myself a lot of time, phone calls, stress and so forth if I had my GoPro mounted at the time of the crash.

Now I'm thinking about buying and installing a dedicated dash cam. I'm wondering if I'm perhaps overreacting. I've never really had a need for one in almost 20 years of driving, apart from that one time.

Thoughts? Experiences?

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
I have run with a dash cam for the last 18 months. I bought it for about A$90 on the internet.

It works fine, I needed to buy an SD card to get it to record! I have had two incedents worth keeping and thankfully no accidents. I like the idea, it's a bit of fun.

I wish I had recorded this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrH8zEdHsr8

According YouTube the Russians are crashing their cars on a daily basis...

dipth

Ready to race!
Does anybody know if there exists a really discrete dash-cam that fits in the Golf 7.
I like the idea of having a dash-cam but I really don't want some bulky looking box on my dashboard which both looks bad and attracts long-fingered individuals.

Preferably I would want something that you don't notice unless you know it's there. Something that looks part of the original interior, perhaps using fiber-optic cables or something of that sort.

Essjay

Ready to race!

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Mine isn't actually on the dash, but suckered onto the screen on the passenger side of the mirror block. Can't be seen by the driver. The cable stuffs rather neatly between the screen and padding along the top edge of the screen...

dipth

Ready to race!
Hi dipth,
Have a look at this camera being reviewed by respected camera reviewer Techmoan. I like the fact that it's very discreet, relatively easy to use, and apparently gives very good results. I am very tempted to get one for myself.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html?currentPage=3

It's still to bulky for my taste, and I don't like the look of the cable around the windscreen and down the top of the screen.

dipth

Ready to race!
What would be really awesome was if I could put a tiny DVR in the glovebox and hook it up to the video-signal of the built-in camera that the car uses for traffic sign recognition.

JCJ

Ready to race!
I really want a discrete dash cam also. I have investigated loads, but all are far too unsightly and I hate clutter in my car. A bit OCD but I only ever have factory fitted options built in.

Ideally I would like a camera no bigger than a 1 cm diameter lens and a wire concealed in the A pillar leading to the control unit in the glove box etc. If anyone knows of any, then please let me know as I too would like to have.

monsta

Car(s)
Golf GTI Performance
I have the Mini 0801 camera behind my rear view mirror;

Example footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so_a81bPpRA

I've hard wired it into the fuse box so it powers up when the ignition comes on, makes it a fit and forget solution.

Occasionally I like to take the memory card out to watch clips if something occurred during a drive. So far nothing serious though.

zgap101

Ready to race!
Which fuse did you connect to?

Mine's on a fuse that seems to keep it powered even with the ignition switched off.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Connecting to the 'cigarette lighter' or the power socket in the boot will switch a dash cam on and off with the ignition...

monsta

Car(s)
Golf GTI Performance
Connecting to the 'cigarette lighter' or the power socket in the boot will switch a dash cam on and off with the ignition...

Very true but the inconvenient position of the 12v socket in the front of the Mk7 plus the fact it would render the socket useless for anything else makes putting it into the fuse box an attractive solution.

monsta

Car(s)
Golf GTI Performance

zgap101

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info.

Could you rememeber if the slot was empty or was it occupied?

I will try a meter this weekend to see which ones are powered when ignition is off...

zgap101

Ready to race!
Going back to topic, I'm using a Smarty BX1500, and I believe their BX4000 is a 4 camera recorder = can hide it and you connect cameras to it.

Shame most camera's are huge things. Why can't the tiny smart phone cameras (1080p capable) be used - embed into the A Pillars, or into the back of the rear view mirror would be perfect...