GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone got the Sport Gear Knob?

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Hi folks, newest member to the forum.
I took delivery of my new MK7 GT TDi yesterday. Tornado red with upgraded 18" Serron alloys.

Timing couldn't have been worse. We got our first snow of the winter, with high winds as I was on my journey home! Car still performed really well. I love it. Even though I had to suffer 3" of the white stuff.

The L.E.D interior lights are so classy, nice surprise.

Today I'd to work a 12 hour shift. Snow almost gone, but due to return, so I'd to borrow my wife's Tiguan and leave the new golf behind.

So back to the Golf. Dealer hasn't received the SD cards for Sat Nav. As soon as it arrives he's gonna post one to me. Question time...... Is it a straight forward insert the card and it works? Or do we need to programme it?

Also, when I ordered the car I liked the sound of the golf-ball style Sport gear knob at £125.

It's listed in several countries as an option when spec-ing up a car, but there are no images of the item online or in the brochure. The dealer told me the gear knob is not available for immediate delivery, as it's on back order.

So, I'm busting to see what it will look like. My last Tornado red Golf was a 1991 16V GTi and I loved the idea of its golf ball style gear knob.

I find it a tad strange that no- one here that I can find is here an image of he new item.... Not even the brochure has a pic!

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Check the live Paris Auto Show release photos in the General Discussion forum. There is a Blue GTI with a Golf ball style manual shifter.

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Thanks for that... It really looks well.

So now hopefully someone can confirm if this is the same as the upgraded item VW are offering in their brochure and online configurator. I would be really pleased if it was, especially if it also comes with the leather boot with red stitching.

I'm still surprised they havent given a photo of it anywhere, not even the dealers know what it looks like.

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
[/IMG]

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Hi folks, newest member to the forum.
I took delivery of my new MK7 GT TDi yesterday. Tornado red with upgraded 18" Serron alloys.

Timing couldn't have been worse. We got our first snow of the winter, with high winds as I was on my journey home! Car still performed really well. I love it. Even though I had to bale 3" of the white stuff.

The L.E.D interior lights are so classy, nice surprise.

Today I'd to work a 12 hour shift. Snow almost gone, but due to return, so I'd to borrow wife's Tiguan an leave the new golf behind.

So back to the Golf. Dealer hasn't received the SD cards for Sat Nav. As soon as it arrives he's gonna post one to me. Question time...... Is it a straight forward insert the card and it works? Or do we need to programme it?

Also, when I ordered the car I liked the sound of the golf-ball style Sport gear knob at £125. It's listed in several countries as an option when spec-ing up a car, but there are no images of he item online or in the brochure. The deler told me the gear knob is not available for immediate delivery, as it's on back order.

So, I'm busting to see what it's like. My last Tornado red Golf was a 1991 16V GTi and I loved the idea of its golf ball style gear knob.

I find it a tad strange that no- one here that I can find is here an image of he new item.... Not even the brochure has a pic!

Welcome..
The car must look really good in tornado red.
Re the SD card question is there not a section on the new Discovery head unit in the manual ?
As a matter of interest did the new manual cover all the new gear now fitted on the Mk7
Couple of others questions..
What tyres did your particular GT come fitted with ?
Does the service book show whether the cambelt should be inspected at x mileage as its 'Longlife' rather than replaced at x miles now.
My service manager says it does not need replacing.
Thanks.

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Im ashamed to say, but the car was parked up on day one after a long day at work and is still sitting under 3" of snow in my driveway 48 hours later. I have been driving the wife's Tiguan to work since.

I really should have got the owner's manual out, and now that you mentioned it, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

I hadn't seen the car in Tornado red until I saw my own in the flesh. I'm so glad I chose it. It's a darker red than usual, but definitely sporty and in my opinion a GTi colour.

I took the car with the VW finance and got 3 years free servicing. So I haven't looked at the service book(but will do later) can't comment on the SD card question just yet.

Re tyres, I did look before driving off and they are Dunlop.

Last edited:

lesvw123

Ready to race!
If you insert the sd card in the reader it actually takes the data off the card I had the same problem the dealers are supposed to order the sd card when they order your car
I picked mine up and tried the satnav in the showroom only to find it did not work all I can say is they were a bit embarrassed as it had not been picked up on the pdi inspection either
I now have the disc and it works well in my garage as it has not been out in the snow yet it's parked up like yours with 19 miles on it

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Sport Gear Knob for LHD only

My much anticipated sports gear knob arrived this week and I did a 100 mile round trip to have it fitted........ but it didn't happen.

I was quite pleased with the look of the item.... Golf ball design, silver/grey stitching on the leather boot, but there is a problem. The silver surround at the bottom of the leather on the MK7 is not a true square.... the angle runs off on one side, which means the right hand drive car and left hand drive have a different fitting.

The dealer has raised the issue with VW UK and it now appears that no-one had noticed this. So, it's a genuine accessory, but at present only appears to be available in LHD.

He does hope that it will arrive for us in the UK, but when?

I quickly took a few pics with my phone in case anyone is wondering what it looks like. I apologise for the poor quality, but at least it gives us all and idea

Last edited:

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Thats a shame...its looks like a good quality piece as well.
Thanks for posting that.

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
At last

The LHD gear knob lay in the dealers for a couple of months now and VW refuse to take it back.

So I took it this morning and swapped the two surrounds over. 20 minute job with a craft knife and some glue.

Wondering if it's the only RHD one with this ?

Next for the alloy pedals.......

Belix

Passed Driver's Ed
That is really odd - from the picture everything looks centred - guess the difference is because the console slants right for RHD and the other way for LHD. Anyway, well done on the DIY job!

Jackmc89

Is this part available in RHD from the factory would anybody know? My local dealer wasn't too much help, as none of the parts on the catalog had photos, so couldn't tell which one! If anyone knows the Parts Number that would be amazing!!

Cheers,

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Is this part available in RHD from the factory would anybody know? My local dealer wasn't too much help, as none of the parts on the catalog had photos, so couldn't tell which one! If anyone knows the Parts Number that would be amazing!!

Cheers,

My advise is buy one from Germany... search ebay.

Easy as pie to swap the silver surround, as long as you don't plan to sell off the original.

Probably gonna be much cheaper than a dealer fit.

Jackmc89

My advise is buy one from Germany... search ebay.

Easy as pie to swap the silver surround, as long as you don't plan to sell off the original.

Probably gonna be much cheaper than a dealer fit.

Thanks Mate, Finally found the Part Number for the Sports Gear Knob from the VW Accessorizes catalog. 100euro including VAT I got it for. But the same issue you had that the part is still only for LHD. So either myself or the the tech in the garage will be making an attempt to swap the existing trim around the bottom of the gator over to the New one.

Is it really difficult? Yours look nice and neatly done. Fancy doing mine!!!! :p