GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New mk7 owner need advice on which tune to get

Dantonio425

Ready to race!
Hey guys I just got a 2015 4 door gti se this is my first vw and I love it I plan on doing some mods I just installed a injen intake today but idk which tune to go with apr or eurodyne my vw dealer does apr tunes and they said it won't void the warranty but I like how eurodyne you can do the programming yourself right now I want to go stage one down the road I would go stage 2 I plan on getting a dp and exhaust any suggestions?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
If your VW dealer supports APR then it should be an easy decision as they will usually work hard to keep your car TD1 free if your spending your money with them. Its also a great way of building a good relationship with your dealer's service department should something go wrong. Eurodyne is a great option for those who don't have a tuning dealer near by or don't have a dealer who is mod friendly.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about Smith VW by the way, would you? If so, they are great guys that go above and beyond to help you out... highly suggest them.

Dantonio425

Ready to race!
Yea that is what I was leaning towards I will go the apr route and set up an appointment with them to do it soon since both tunes have similar numbers and no not smith vw. world vw and out of all the cars I've had vw is by far the best I've dealt with

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Cool, sounds good and GL! To be 100% honest, all tunes are making about the same performance figures, the decision just comes downs to whats most convenient and works for you in your situation.

Irishace

Ready to race!
Cool, sounds good and GL! To be 100% honest, all tunes are making about the same performance figures, the decision just comes downs to whats most convenient and works for you in your situation.

%100 agree with this statement and approach. Good luck OP and have fun.

witsbusa

Ready to race!
I honestly think you will grin ear-to-ear with Eurodyne, APR and i would imagine Unitronic.. tune turns the car into a completely better experience. You will see the threads for each offering and right now main difference is eurodyne powertap tune at home option. Very simple to use and i find it fun to pull into a parking lot and switching from wild to mild and back again depending on the mood. With APR torque figures, i would love to try it out, but just don't have time to be going to dealer again and again. Congrats on the new ride!

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Some people may disagree with me but in the long run, running a tune will statistically shorten the life of your drivetrain. Given the issues with the turbo you will also run the risk of having a failure and being denied coverage. Although, as far as I know, VAG has seemingly covered these failures to date but that is no guarantee that a future turbo failure when tuned (or otherwise modded) will be covered. Your dealer may have no say in this but if they did the tune I'd suspect that they would do everything in their power to look after you. For the above reason, I'd personally go with the tune supported by your dealer.

jshwon

Ready to race!
Like everyone said. If the dealer is down and performs that tune it's a no brainer go with APR. The early release turbo issues seem to much lesser. I have Eurodyne and love it. But I can tell you if my dealer was a APR distributor I'd have APR right now.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
This just came out on Audi Sport but pertains to the VAG Family!

:)

This Has just been posted on Audi desktop today.

Protect your business by identifying chip-tuned vehicles

05 March 2015

Updated - Make sure your service advisors and technicians check for modifications

AU0173-12
Feedback from DISS reports indicates that our networks are seeing more vehicles that have had non-approved power-enhancing modifications made to them by customers (often called ‘chip tuning’).

Make sure your service advisors and technicians check for modifications before starting any work or repairs.

Warranty policy

The warranty policy guide states that vehicle modifications are not condoned and may result in the vehicle’s warranty on parts related to these enhancements being compromised or revoked.

Section one of the warranty policy guide states:

Our products are sometimes subjected to modifications by their owners. When assessing a warranty claim, it must be carefully ascertained whether, from the technical viewpoint, a connection exists between the modification and the damage. For example, a claim regarding the paintwork cannot be rejected because the vehicle concerned has been fitted with a more powerful engine.

Warranty code indicates if vehicle has been modified

The Group Factories have programmed their service systems to indicate if a vehicle has been tuned or modified. Warranty code ‘TD1’ will appear against the vehicle if it has been modified.

This code is identified whenever a request is sent to the software version management database from the vehicle, encrypted data from the engine ECU is sent in with the request which can be used to determine if the engine control unit mapping has been modified – TD1 is displayed in the Elsa system within 10 seconds.

When you should check for this code

When booking a service: We recommend service advisors check for code TD1 in ElsaPro when booking vehicles in for services (part of the Service Core Process) so your business does not submit warranty or goodwill claims that are later rejected.

Before starting any repairs: We recommend that, when the vehicle is connected to diagnostic equipment, the technician also checks ElsaPro for this code before carrying out any repairs, in case the code hasn’t been identified by the service reception.

To do this, you can:

Complete initial GFF with online connection established. Check the software level online via the specified/actual comparison function to identify possible engine chip tuning (TD1) and make sure the online auto upload correctly concludes
The service systems are updated within 10 seconds of the VAS machine communicating with the Factory servers, so there will be a short delay in the checking process.

What to do if the code appears against a vehicle

If code TD1 appears in the vehicle’s records, you must ask the customer what modifications have been made to the vehicle. You should also warn the customer that any repairs required might not be covered by the manufacturer if the diagnosed defect is related to the modification.

How to use service systems to check for code TD1

Guided fault finding (GFF) – checking vehicle software:

Specified/actual comparison
Problem-related update
Code for vehicle modification
You only need to check current software for the TD1 code to log, if applicable.

[​IMG]

How to identify code TD1 in ElsaPro:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to identify the TD1 code in SAGA/2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to identify the TD1 code in DISS:

[​IMG]

Q&A

Q. The TD1 code is displayed, but the customer says that no performance enhancements have been made to his/her vehicle. How can you check what has been modified?
A. Only the manufacturer can check if the car has been modified. To do this, the control unit would have to be removed and sent to the manufacturer for testing. This process could take several weeks, and the customer would be charged for the cost of the testing. This cost could not be claimed under warranty or as goodwill.

Q. Can the TD1 code be reversed?
A. Yes. If an approved software update is detected and applied during the diagnosis process, the TD1 code will be removed from our service systems.

Q. If the vehicle has not been online to the SVM database before but an online log has been sent, will this be enough to initiate the TD1 code?
A. No. The encrypted data can only be sent to SVM using the process stated above. The online diagnostic protocol is not part of this identification process.

Q. Is the TD1 code sent to the 5051 tester?
A. No. Currently, there is no message on the diagnostic machine to indicate that the ECU mapping has been altered. It must be checked as stated in the bulletin (Elsa/SAGA2).

Q. Will the data be sent as part of an online key adaption, or other immobiliser work, related to the engine ECU?
A. No. The FAZIT database for online immobiliser adaption has no affect on this process. Only the software version management database can decrypt the data sent by the ECU.

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
I have never seen a 100% answer to this but does an ECU that has been flashed back to stock by a tuner throw a TD1 code if the tech follows the VAG indicated checking procedure to the letter?

I have seen posts where people have got turbos repaired after being retuned to stock but that is a different issue. I haven't seen anything that says with certainty whether a TD1 gets thrown if the VAG procedure is followed. (i.e. check sum issue etc.)

It would seem that someone must know this?

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
I have never seen a 100% answer to this but does an ECU that has been flashed back to stock by a tuner throw a TD1 code if the tech follows the VAG indicated checking procedure to the letter?

I have seen posts where people have got turbos repaired after being retuned to stock but that is a different issue. I haven't seen anything that says with certainty whether a TD1 gets thrown if the VAG procedure is followed. (i.e. check sum issue etc.)

It would seem that someone must know this?

With some recent incidents, the parts replaced were part of a recall or service bulletin. Good luck If your ecu is modified with a tune or flashed back to stock after being tuned and attempting to make a claim for non TSB or recall part.

Email the tuners and ask them if they can guarantee the tune is 100% undecteable if flashed back to stock. If they can't guarantee it then be prepared to pick up the bill IF something was to ever happen.

:)