GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underside - Interesting to me only?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think the robotic arm that installs muffler pipes is hitting something while it is moving. Maybe VW will see this on site and go out and look for a place by robot that is missing paint from being hit. Ha Ha. Would like to know reason. Nothing is close that would need extra clearance. Maybe if you straighten pipe you will 10 more hp?

Last edited:

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
@ DainBramaged not sure the gap is back far enough or central enough to be the 4WD system as its to the side of the tank, but the prop must fit somewhere, revised saddle tank perhaps on the R?

Found a better pic of the underside, it looks like the aftermarket exhaust companies use it for the extra exhaust box in some cases. I have also arrowed a fixing that doesn't do anything.

In this last pic you can see a 1.4TSI with the exhaust area covered with a panel fixed to that spare fixing location on the tank, also another cover further down near the exhaust downpipe which is missing from the GTi. It could be that its missing from the car for the photo in the first image, but I don't think I have it either. Perhaps that one isn't advisable on the GTI or R but it possibly indicates some areas that could be covered with VW original parts if someone wants too further smooth flow underneath. Whether its for Eco reasons or less lift at the rear on track, small incremental parts add up I guess.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Here's how it looks on 4motion Golf. Fuel tank is filling that empty space you have on fwd Golf in order to free space in center for driveshaft. Sorry for bad photos :eek:

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Are there any figures from Renault (or anyone else) on how much "downforce" (I guess suction might be a better word) a diffuser like that would produce on a road car? I would imagine a lot of cars would be running to high for it to make a major difference. Might make a bit of a difference if you do track days, but probably not much use on the road.
On a road car, at stock ride height, road legal speeds, negligible :)
It's just there to look cool so kids can say "I have a rear diffuser like on an f1 car" XD

kevinm1

Ready to race!
The parts linked for mk5/mk6 cars will probably not fit. All mk7's are bluemotion as standard as they have stop/start. Bluemotion is actually is the official name for the GTI!

The forward part pointed out by Emmett looks like 5Q0 825 229 C. I cant say for sure as I cant get a good view of it from the photo. There are different versions listed for the A3 quattro. It costs about £15 if somebody wants to try them. It says you also need the following parts to mount it:
N 038 549 4 Qty: 4
N 909 747 01 Qty: 2

The rear trim is the following part:
5Q0 825 206 D - For cars with beam rear axle
5Q0 825 206 E - For cars with 4 link rear axle

And you need the following mounting parts:
N 909 747 01 - Bolt - Qty: 3
N 909 591 01 - Speed Nut - Qty: 1
N 903 350 05 - Clamping washer - Qty: 1
N 038 549 4 - Spreader rivet - Qty: 1

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hmm......will have to look under mine again, & if there are gaps which can be covered using OEM parts........even more interesting!

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Just ordered the rear trim panel to start with.

The part number has changed to 5Q0 825 206 K - For cars with 4 link rear axle. Total with fixings approx £14. Will see if it fits around the GTi thicker exhaust, or becomes an ornament in the shed. :)

Thanks again

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Hello all. I'm the guy who started the mentioned threads about the Mk.V/VI aero stuff.

Thanks for the parts list. Looking forward they'll fit on the GTI. :)

Also noticed along with the side splitters they have a front skirt set back and under the car but with a gap on one side. My guess is this is to aid cooling to something on the (UK) passenger side, is this for the Diff pump or???
It's still the same design as on the Mk.IV, Mk.V and Mk.VI. A little front "skirt" with a gap and two "NACA" vents in the undertray, supplying airflow to the gearbox.

I don't like all those plastic parts/covers underside - they hardly protect anything but it is super easy to damage them.
I never damaged any. However, all the plastic stuff is pretty cheap.

I use to look under the car as a measure of engineering details.
Same for me.

I also like how the Vw R had a cast aluminum suspension compared to GTI. If I could make one change to GTI it would be to change suspension more like the R.
Which R came with aluminium control arms? The Mk.V R32 and Mk.VI R did not.
These came with the same heavy cast steel arms as Xenon-equipped Mk.V GTI and all ED30 and ED35.

I think the large gap at the back might be there for the diff in 4WD versions, ...
No, it's for a center muffler some FW models come with.
All 4WD have a pretty different rear section with a two-half "saddle style" fuel tank both left and right and zero space for a muffler near the tank as EB mentioned. If they have a center muffler, it's located in the tunnel.

In this last pic you can see a 1.4TSI with the exhaust area covered with a panel fixed to that spare fixing location on the tank, also another cover further down near the exhaust downpipe which is missing from the GTi. It could be that its missing from the car for the photo in the first image, but I don't think I have it either. Perhaps that one isn't advisable on the GTI or R but it possibly indicates some areas that could be covered with VW original parts if someone wants too further smooth flow underneath. Whether its for Eco reasons or less lift at the rear on track, small incremental parts add up I guess.

Interesting picture, thanks !! :)

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Welcome Bruce, I used your guide to fit some underbody parts to my ed30. Do you have a mk7 now?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Not yet sadly, but I'll probably gonna get one next year.

It has been a while but I thought I saw different rear control arms on a mk6. Mane not aluminum, but I remember noticing that they were different and bulkier. Not same. Rand.
There's just one single rear control arm for any kind of PQ35/36/45/46 cars around there.
Golf and GTI Mk.V and Mk. VI, Jetta, Tiguan, Passat 3C, CC, Audi A3 8P, S3, TT 8J incl. TTS
and TT-RS, don't matter if FWD or AWD - it's all the same.

;)

On the other hand there are at least six different front control arms for the above mentioned
platforms, three of them steel and three made from alloy.

:)

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5

Its hard to see what kind of engine undertray it has in the picture above, but wouldn't it be a bit weird to stop the undertray before the sump, then have the panel covering the exhaust front section to improve air flow? Not sure...

Anyway here is (I think) an MQB platform underside (SEAT Cupra) probably the best pic i can find so far.