GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I went back to stock shortly after the installation of the turbo T revision, during that period i never pushed it, I then had a custom stage 2 tune. Was driving back from Dubai and boom it blew. Luckily I was still close to Dubai so I had it towed to the garage to have my meth injection removed and stock tune back on.

K03s and k04s almost never blew even when brutally modified!! I am really really disappointed with these IHIs.. So much power potential yet so fragile.

I was running 1.5bar this time which is presumably lower than APR stage 1.

My plan now to put the car to complete stock including intake and exhaust and then take it to the dealer and tell them i don't want it.

Sorry to hear it Kindi. I hope it gets fixed quickly. I have one question. Your car was the first mk7 GTI that got that custom tune? As far as I know the bar the tuners set are not the only parameter to define a tune safe or non safe. There are other things in the software's algorithms that combine to give the engine a progressive power delivery. As far as I know the APR's tune gives 1.8 bar peak, 1.4 constant (in fifth gear on dyno if I remember correctly. Anyway, if the tune you've done is from a reputable tuner who had other EA888s gen 3 tuned, then one thing is for sure: the turbine itself may not be the only problematic part, but something else that make it work. "Spikes" in airflow? Waste gate? Heat dissipating issues in the compressed/compressing air channel? Something to do with the engine not wanting petrol with high sulfur levels (the elders may remember the nicasil coating fiasco in the BMWs 8 series)? It remains to be seen...

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear it Kindi. I hope it gets fixed quickly. I have one question. Your car was the first mk7 GTI that got that custom tune? As far as I know the bar the tuners set are not the only parameter to define a tune safe or non safe. There are other things in the software's algorithms that combine to give the engine a progressive power delivery. As far as I know the APR's tune gives 1.8 bar peak, 1.4 constant (in fifth gear on dyno if I remember correctly. Anyway, if the tune you've done is from a reputable tuner who had other EA888s gen 3 tuned, then one thing is for sure: the turbine itself may not be the only problematic part, but something else that make it work. "Spikes" in airflow? Waste gate? Heat dissipating issues in the compressed/compressing air channel? Something to do with the engine not wanting petrol with high sulfur levels (the elders may remember the nicasil coating fiasco in the BMWs 8 series)? It remains to be seen...
Yes the tuners is reputable and has done many mk7 gti and R before mine. I'm the first to blow a turbo with his tune.

Simon Motorsport dubai. Look them up they're good.

I also think something must have went wrong with the installation of the T revision turbo. Or something was damaged and they didn't rectify it.

I wouldn't be surprised because they broke a plastic elbow, didn't tighten some hoses and didn't notice a damaged secondary coolant pump while it was with them. Which caused a severe coolant leak 2 days after i received it.

I also discovered a rattling noise from my exhaust! At first I thought it was loose at some point. but when i went under the car and hit the exhaust i traced it back to the muffler and guess what? there's a metal piece stuck in there (probably a part of the old propeller) and the dealer missed it!!

So yeah.. Let's hope for the best

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Yes the tuners is reputable and has done many mk7 gti and R before mine. I'm the first to blow a turbo with his tune.

Simon Motorsport dubai. Look them up they're good.

I also think something must have went wrong with the installation of the T revision turbo. Or something was damaged and they didn't rectify it.

I wouldn't be surprised because they broke a plastic elbow, didn't tighten some hoses and didn't notice a damaged secondary coolant pump while it was with them. Which caused a severe coolant leak 2 days after i received it.

I also discovered a rattling noise from my exhaust! At first I thought it was loose at some point. but when i went under the car and hit the exhaust i traced it back to the muffler and guess what? there's a metal piece stuck in there (probably a part of the old propeller) and the dealer missed it!!

So yeah.. Let's hope for the best

If you've not seen the smoke when your turbine gone kaput, it may have not blown, but you're experiencing some sort of air leak. Especially if you think that the garage did not do a proper job (hoses un tighten etc). I hope for the best my friend.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
New Ea888 Gen 3 turbo part numbers are out:

06K 145 722 G - MK7 Golf GTI
06K 145 722 H - MK7 Golf R

Looks like they will start arriving on factory vehicles next month.

Arin I know ETKA revised the 702R (GTi) turbo to the 702T in May this year but after some careful research it wasn't until August builds did we see cars fitted with the T revision of Turbo. Mine is due to commence being built on Monday (build wk44). So I am assuming the 722 G wont be on my vehicle :-(

GeoBog

Ready to race!
Arin I know ETKA revised the 702R (GTi) turbo to the 702T in May this year but after some careful research it wasn't until August builds did we see cars fitted with the T revision of Turbo.

Mine was built in June and I got the T turbo, so the rule above doesn't really apply.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Mine was built in June and I got the T turbo, so the rule above doesn't really apply.

From what I managed to ascertain.....basically they exhausted old stock as far as I can see and maybe you were lucky but I've not seen a June or July build car with one on however its not about dates really is it. I know from doing research that all stock was exhausted in Germany by start of August and as such we have seen August onward build cars with T turbos. I'm surprised you have one on a June build but hey we could speculate about why that is, likely answer to be with a lack of proper stock rotation at factory.
Not really a hugely relevant point though, but nice to hear you are fortunate to have one

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
If you've not seen the smoke when your turbine gone kaput, it may have not blown, but you're experiencing some sort of air leak. Especially if you think that the garage did not do a proper job (hoses un tighten etc). I hope for the best my friend.
I'm pretty positive it did. I hit the accelerator and the turbo sounded like krrrshdhrhehshhsrrrrrr lol :(

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I'm pretty positive it did. I hit the accelerator and the turbo sounded like krrrshdhrhehshhsrrrrrr lol :(

Oh, boy. I would've had a heart attack if I did hear that on my car... I might try to be prepared having some yoga lessons, as mine is BW46 2013 with 23000km stock, what do you think?:eek: Get the dealership pushed to have the newer revision and inspect thoroughly the whole engine. But you are lucky. If you had the stock downpipe your catalytic converter would have gone kaput too.