GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Well do either of you plan on going IS38 post warranty??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Well do either of you plan on going IS38 post warranty??

Guess I am the wimp.
I do not even have a tune. I am past the base warranty but still have extended.
I know not a good purchase but my loaded GTI has so much electronics I decided to get and also being a 1st year new car felt worth it incase I have issues. The dealer also worked with me on price due to building issues so had more room. The modding of this car is addictive and I have done more than I planned. My issue on engine is I normally keep my cars a good while and an turbo upgrade is like burning the candle at both ends. The car plus help is enough power to get me in trouble a turbo upgrade would add to it.

The mechanical developing is interesting and would be fun. At my dealer I talked to the Service Rep said the mechanic asked if I had thought about a metal oil pan. I had thought about this as it can add 1 liter more oil. Helping engine life is a good mod to me. I thought they would think of it as hurting warranty but the rep said as long as it maintains normal oil pickup points. So maybe at 50,0000.

Future mods?
When brake work needed would like a lighter brake disc front/rear.
Clubsport disc maybe.
Cleaner pads up front would be nice.
Oil pan.
Better intercooler. Mainly because stock one is getting beat up.
Not sure why so easily as I rarely follow people. I think it is getting bent from bugs. I would want one with stronger fins. The added cooling also helping performance and engine. Would also set up for tune if I ever step up.

Last edited:

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Guess I am the wimp.
I know not a good purchase but my loaded GTI has so much electronics I decided to get and also being a 1st year new car felt worth it incase I have issues. The dealer also worked with me on price due to building issues so had more room. The modding of this car is addictive and I have done more than I planned. My issue on engine is I normally keep my cars a good while and an turbo upgrade is like burning the candle at both ends. The car plus help is enough power to get me in trouble a turbo upgrade would add to it.

The mechanical developing is interesting and would be fun. At my dealer I talked to the Service Rep said the mechanic asked if I had thought about a metal oil pan. I had thought about this as it can add 1 liter more oil. Helping engine life is a good mod to me. I thought they would think of it as hurting warranty but the rep said as long as it maintains normal oil pickup points. So maybe at 50,0000.

Future mods?
Clubsport disc maybe.
Oil pan.
Better intercooler. Mainly because stuck one is getting beat up.
Not sure why so easily as I rarely follow people. I think it is getting bent from bugs. I would want one with stronger fins. The added cooling also helping performance and engine. Would also set up for tune if I ever step up.

Do you think turbo upgrade would wear more on the engine though considering the R has the same engine as the GTI and is running the IS38? Legitimately asking Bc my assumption was always no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Guess I am the wimp.

Future mods?
Clubsport disc maybe.
Oil pan.
Better intercooler. Mainly because stuck one is getting beat up.
Solid plan sir I'm in the same boat. Way way less modded then you. I might go jb1 and golf R intercooler post warranty( I know jb1 and warranty are not suppose to matter). Other than that I'm happy and will just upgrade when items where. I plan on keeping mine for 10 plus years.

Love the build man!
Do you think turbo upgrade would wear more on the engine though considering the R has the same engine as the GTI and is running the IS38? Legitimately asking Bc my assumption was always no.

Honestly great question. I believe the R has beefier internals if I remember correctly.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

The R and Clubsport engines are more than just Turbo's.
The cost to upgrade the GTI to R engine I think would be not worth the cost from my reading. I am not saying an upgraded GTI engine to IS38 will not last but for me and my luck the day I upgraded the engine would blow. It would just be hard to tell the wife why I need a new car.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
A while back I installed my CTS finned aluminum engine oil filter housing. At that time I also purchased the DSG CTS filter housing but waited till the 40,000 mile service to see if they would install during service. Said no problem and installed for me. For the DSG this might actually help with cooling as it is a good size compared to the other cooling fins located on top of the DSG.

https://youtu.be/7rGrPz2tzMA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've been looking to upgrade my oil pan for quite a time, are you looking at something cheap like the ECS one? or the Wortec (that IMO is the real deal)?
The price among the two of them is quite impressive....

ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/steel-oil-pan-kit/018573ecs01kt1/
Wortec: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engi...raded-Aluminum-Oil-Pan-Kit-1.8T-and-2.0T.html

For some reason I always like the expensive stuff.
I have always liked the Wortec pan. Also adds 1L oil.
The stock black pan from ECS is a good pan.
ECS also makes their own Heavy Duty pan. Made from SS I think.
I think it adds capacity.
Of the two you listed I like Wortec.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I understand your complacency with the stock power - I too do not feel particularly drawn towards adding power, and I'm 23! That said, I am very unhappy with the OEM transmission programming. I will definitely be getting a DSG tune when my powertrain warranty expires. Would you do that? If not add power.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I understand your complacency with the stock power - I too do not feel particularly drawn towards adding power, and I'm 23! That said, I am very unhappy with the OEM transmission programming. I will definitely be getting a DSG tune when my powertrain warranty expires. Would you do that? If not add power.

I drive almost 100% in Individual mode Manual (all sport but DCC in normal of comfort). So I do not feel a big issue with DSG in the daily driving I do. There are times one has to be patient if I change my mind driving and need to give the DSG a second to get a different gear. I do not like driving in auto sport much at all as it keep RPM higher, but in most cases I do not need to be in sport auto. When in town driving slow (drive through) I put it in auto comfort as it is better at low speeds.

If I was an auto-x guy it might be something to try.
Would be nice to test another car before changing but that option never happens much. I think this would not be a top option for me. I would look into if running higher level JB4 setting or running a tune.

If you do, post a before after feeling comparison. Would like to know how it goes.

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Same I might give the unitronic tcu a chance post warranty.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Added 034 Motorsports CF fuse box cover. Very thin, light piece. Fits well. A little tight on locking in place but locked down. Added for possible car show coming up. Need all help I can against American Muscle Cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looking really good sir! How do you like the vwr turbo inlet? Also are you running a drop in air filter or just oem?