GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI SE MT6 DIY CLUTCH REBUILD GUIDE HS TUNING RSR CLUTCH

Riptide09

Infected by the Mod bug
To be honest I've never had a vehicle tuned so idk what anyone else pays. Just seems crazy in my opinion, I thought they just hooked it up and clicked a few buttons then let it download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I know my dealer was charging one hour of labor along with the APR tune. Some other shops don't and some do, so it really does depend on where you go.

And that's good to know. Maybe I will wait to install my clutch. I wanted to install it before my JB4/APR Downpipe install, but this is promising.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep each APR dealer charges at their discretion. I've heard people getting their first flash free and others getting charged. Pretty normal

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I wanted to add some of my personal findings on this job. I only needed to remove the passenger side axle flange to get the transmission out. All you need to do is rotate the differential up towards the hood and then using the engine support bar, lower the trans side of the motor down a bit and the whole trans slides out like butter. I also did not disconnect the charge pipe, I did not see a need in doing it so less disassembly/reassembly. When doing your axles, loosening them you'll need some help from a friend to hold the brakes OR jam a screw driver into the rotor between the caliper. I had a friend help me loosen them, but when torquing everything down, I used the passenger side wheel to hold the axle (pushed wheel with my foot). I did lose some fluid from the vent hole, but it was not enough to purchase more and top it off.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input. Are you a PP or not? Curious for us VAQ guys :)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I am not not PP, just the standard S.

I went back to the first page and noticed the OP mentioned that HSTuning sent him the wrong kit. From what understanding, the Mk6 and MK7 share the same clutch and same transmission including the throw out bearing. Only difference is the plastic ring on the Mk7 TOB that most likely just dampens things more. I cannot explain the uneven wear on his clutch but it looks like he may have had a fault TOB as the bearing rotates with the PP at all times in a hydraulic system so his was binding hence the grind.

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Didn't know anything about ECU tuning, I thought that's how much they went for

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For future reference call around and ask next time. Both my local dealers do not charge labor on the first flash. If I need a reflash then $50.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
6 months update on the rsr clutch?

It might surprise you to know, mine is holding... albeit barely (now at close to 20k miles, installed around 7k)

I really have to baby it below 3k rpms in 5th and 6th gear, and can even get some slip in 4th (again, low RPMs).
This could be a result of not replacing the DMF when I got the clutch installed, but who knows - just thought I'd share my results. (Also a note, I'm in a Golf R, which probably means you should be fine in a GTI )

greypanter

Ready to race!
It might surprise you to know, mine is holding... albeit barely (now at close to 20k miles, installed around 7k)

I really have to baby it below 3k rpms in 5th and 6th gear, and can even get some slip in 4th (again, low RPMs).
This could be a result of not replacing the DMF when I got the clutch installed, but who knows - just thought I'd share my results. (Also a note, I'm in a Golf R, which probably means you should be fine in a GTI )
Sorry to hear that! Any plans for clutch work in the near future? If yes what clutch route will you be taking? I got the RSR clutch kit, APR downpipe and Stage 2 tune ready to be installed soon as I receive the engine support bar in the mail. Next Thursday would be the day. Never done clutch work before but I think am an okay diy_er. Thanks for the update

SHCKR

Ready to race!
I am not not PP, just the standard S.

I went back to the first page and noticed the OP mentioned that HSTuning sent him the wrong kit. From what understanding, the Mk6 and MK7 share the same clutch and same transmission including the throw out bearing. Only difference is the plastic ring on the Mk7 TOB that most likely just dampens things more. I cannot explain the uneven wear on his clutch but it looks like he may have had a fault TOB as the bearing rotates with the PP at all times in a hydraulic system so his was binding hence the grind.

You are correct, however the different throw out bearing is what most likely caused that uneven wear on the clutch, or it could have been the fact that it was old flywheel. I replaced it regardless when they sent me the right kit.

greypanter

Ready to race!
Just installed the RSR clutch kit, 60 miles on it so far, are you experiencing any rev hang? Specifically from 1st to 2nd?

greypanter

Ready to race!
You are correct, however the different throw out bearing is what most likely caused that uneven wear on the clutch, or it could have been the fact that it was old flywheel. I replaced it regardless when they sent me the right kit.
The question above the meant for you :)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

I don't see how the bearing can cause uneven clutch wear, its main job is to take pressure off the clutch disc by pushing on the pressure plate. If it were pressing on the pressure plate unevenly, you'd experience shifting issues as the clutch was not disengaging all the way, that and the MK6's use the same TOB. Either way, I think both TOB's work fine in our setups and you just had a fluke.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
After reading this I'm going to find a very dealer to do my clutch. lol. I'll probably have to sign a waiver or something since it won't be OEM, but I don't want to risk breaking something and not having a car for a couple days!