GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test: New Sun Visor LEDs for your MK7

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Can you share what the blinding factor will be when the visor light is brighter? Currently LED and getting much brighter, if not controlled will be hard to see when in seat.

The customer will produce a honest review, there is no need for sun visors that will be the same brightness as your current ones! People normally want brighter when it comes to LEDs.

But we can adjust it depending on the demand and brightness level, these is only our first mold sample - we can adjust the # of diodes and type after so no worries :)

Klaus1

New Sun Visor LEDs for your MK7

DeAutoKey Sun Visor LEDs:

So, I got myself in a predicament and started dating a woman addicted to makeup... To save me the trouble of her turning on every single light in the car while I drive at night I thought getting these would be the best option.

Let's start with the before.

The standard LED is pretty damn good. I am not complaining what so ever, but I wanted a little more kick. Let's get into the install. Seriously this might have been one of the easiest installs I have done in a long time. Check out this video to remove the housing. The light is different so stop the video at 15s and unclip the wire harness.

This is where you need to unclip the board from the housing. This for whatever reason is where I got hung up for a second.

Reverse engineer the process and toss it back in!

This thing is bright!

The stock bulb on the left, and the DeAutoKey on the right. I think the OEM bulb is crisper light, but the DeAutoKey is about 40-50% brighter which works for what I need it for. All in all, I am happy :D

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Great review...

Thank you !

For 'Crisper' - did you have the sun visors next to no other LEDs on? Try having the sun visor on with no other lights (no dome, no OEM sun visor LEDs) The issue is the 2 color temps clashing. We can change the color temperature to anything - we made it a softer yellow as people normally like a softer white for the sun visors.

Let us know what people think, we can tweak this accordingly.

Klaus1

Great review...

Thank you !

For 'Crisper' - did you have the sun visors next to no other LEDs on? Try having the sun visor on with no other lights (no dome, no OEM sun visor LEDs) The issue is the 2 color temps clashing. We can change the color temperature to anything - we made it a softer yellow as people normally like a softer white for the sun visors.

Let us know what people think, we can tweak this accordingly.

Thanks! I'll drive around with them for a bit and report back. I Installed the second one right after I wrote this post, and they look great :D

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
DeAutoKey Sun Visor LEDs:

The stock bulb on the left, and the DeAutoKey on the right. I think the OEM bulb is crisper light, but the DeAutoKey is about 40-50% brighter which works for what I need it for. All in all, I am happy :D

I don't know the exact specs but looking at the pictures the DeAutoKey LED looks to have a higher colour temp (K) which the human eye will perceive as brighter...Main reason is it has more blue light content which is why it has a blue/greener halo around it in the picture...

I prefer to not mess with the human eye...:cool:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Good review Klaus.
Hard to tell unless in person but I think a color light closer OE would be my choice but I know for the use with mirror a warmer light is preferred by ladies I think.
But it's my car so I would match OE more. Also, girlfriend needs to keep makeup off hands as she has coated your visor with prints. I say this while my wife does the same thing.:mad:

I would have to think on this mod. Cost would determine.
Those with kids might like when more light needed.
My next Deautoled buy will be tail light bulbs for now.
Thanks for developing new items.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks! I'll drive around with them for a bit and report back. I Installed the second one right after I wrote this post, and they look great :D

Thanks, we appreciate your time and attention to this. Keep us updated.

Are you able to take a photo of the sun visor without any dome lights or any other VW lights on? We want to try to show the true color temp of the LED.

I don't know the exact specs but looking at the pictures the DeAutoKey LED looks to have a higher colour temp (K) which the human eye will perceive as brighter...Main reason is it has more blue light content which is why it has a blue/greener halo around it in the picture...

I prefer to not mess with the human eye...:cool:

This is not true, ours are lower temperature as you can see from the photo our LEDs are more "yellow" because they are next to a higher Kelvin Temp which is close to 6500K on the VW. Without any outside LEDs our sun visor will be a clean white.

Ours are brighter because we are using more LED diodes and a brighter diode chip set.

We chose lower color temp because people feel it is easier on the eyes vs a more jarring higher color temperature. The color temp is more flattering also.

But to sum up:
We are using a 5000k - still a clean white
VW is using 6000k - more blue but still white

-if you place our LED next to VW what happens:
-VW LED will look more blue
-Ours will look more yellow

Good review Klaus.
Hard to tell unless in person but I think a color light closer OE would be my choice but I know for the use with mirror a warmer light is preferred by ladies I think.
But it's my car so I would match OE more. Also, girlfriend needs to keep makeup off hands as she has coated your visor with prints. I say this while my wife does the same thing.:mad:

I would have to think on this mod. Cost would determine.
Those with kids might like when more light needed.
My next Deautoled buy will be tail light bulbs for now.
Thanks for developing new items.

Thank you

We will create a GB - these normally run $34.99 for 2.

We would need 10 for $25 shipped
or 20 for $20 shipped.

It is something we got a lot of interest for and many want to change it out with something brighter. Reason:
-Want a brighter light
-Want a cleaner color temp

We have to make a separate post to see interest but anyone interested can post here and we can see what we can do.

We feel the final color temperature and brightness is perfect for sun visors.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This is not true, ours are lower temperature as you can see from the photo our LEDs are more "yellow" because they are next to a higher Kelvin Temp which is close to 6500K on the VW. Without any outside LEDs our sun visor will be a clean white.

Ours are brighter because we are using more LED diodes and a brighter diode chip set.

We chose lower color temp because people feel it is easier on the eyes vs a more jarring higher color temperature. The color temp is more flattering also.

But to sum up:
We are using a 5000k - still a clean white
VW is using 6000k - more blue but still white

-if you place our LED next to VW what happens:
-VW LED will look more blue
-Ours will look more yellow

We feel the final color temperature and brightness is perfect for sun visors.

Thank you for clearing this up, obviously the cameras white balance took the VW LED lighting as white which is why yours looks bluer, when in fact the VW should appear bluer...

I did lighting design at uni as part of my course....:cool:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thank you for clearing this up, obviously the cameras white balance took the VW LED lighting as white which is why yours looks bluer, when in fact the VW should appear bluer...

I did lighting design at uni as part of my course....:cool:

in the photo these look yellow, VW looks blue.

VW is on the left / ours on the right.

So the color is set?
Earlier mentioned it could be adjust, but sounds like it is set.
Any way to carry two? OE and Warm?
At $25 group buy, I would give it a try. Offer a discount on a second item purchased like tail lights and I would expand the purchase also.

Yes we can change it to one color but we seem to like this color best.

We are unable to open 2 1 for 6500 and one for 5500 - in photo ours is a lower light temperature 5500 so that is why they look "yellow" but by themselves they are a clean white and we wan to keep it that color as they are a better look.

We can make a separate thread to see interest, we are not sure if it is there yet.