GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To Fullyswitched,

VWUK has ben a PITA to the dealers recently, I know the parts dept there for the past 20yrs!!!

I agree that shipping will really cost, I know another poster "paulkromz"? who was asking if my UK dealer would ship the skidtrays over! I said not only cost for big item but the USA import taxes on euro stuff is high.

Let me know that happens if you manage to sort a good solid tray for USA!

As for the spoilers, yes I saw a GTD estate at the dealers & just got the VIN & part no.s......I would defo rip the vW double side off & fit my own tape butted up to the edges, you will know what I mean when you se them, but sealing them in with sealant for existing helps prevent carp getting in, well too much anyway!!

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Rear exhaust undertray all sorted. VW dealer agreed to order 5G0 825 206J for beam rear axle and just exchange for the wrong one.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I need to read this thread in more depth. While crawling under my car this weekend to change springs, I noticed the control module and wires for the PP LSD look very vulnerable. It hangs just behind the oil pan, and doesn't sit very far above the lowest point on the car. It seems like one rock, if bounced up just right, could do some costly damage here. I'm a bit disappointed VW didn't provide more protection for this.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rear exhaust undertray all sorted. VW dealer agreed to order 5G0 825 206J for beam rear axle and just exchange for the wrong one.

That's good of them!!

Let me know as I can then redo the appropriate section & include the part no for the beam axle & credit info to you! :cool:

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
The push rivets listed N-038-549-4 can be swapped out for two alternatives which are easier to work with as their center pin is less likely to be lost when removing the underbody panel for service work. It is a minor detail but given the choice I'd pick the alternatives over the catalog suggestion which is obviously the cheapest of the three to manufacture.

8E0-825-267 These allow you to pull the center pin out using a right angle pick or pair or specialized pliers.

4D0-807-300
These have a three position pin. The center pin is more or less captive during use. The three pin positions are proud/unlocked , flush/locked, indented/unlocked. Once installed the pin pressure is released by pushing the pin farther in to step over an internal notch and now the push rivet can be extracted by pulling. The pin is reset when the rivet is removed, the does not need to exit the rivet.

Last edited:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
That's good of them!!

Let me know as I can then redo the appropriate section & include the part no for the beam axle & credit info to you! :cool:

All exchanged, fitted and fine. 5 mins to fit. Think one spire nut required, but had a few in the garage.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
So I'm in for a source to the states. I have contacted several dealerships and none are able to because of the stupid VWoA international rules. ECS said they can but the cost will be very high. I wonder if a group buy would help bring down cost? I wouldn't mind buying through DAP they've been a huge help with everything to this point!

Derf

Ready to race!
This looks very good. I wish you had weighed everything before installing it, so we could know how much weight it adds. And also if you have any inkling as to how much of an improvement in aerodynamics this makes regarding a) in vehicle noise, b) gas mileage / fuel economy, c) driving dynamics

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This looks very good. I wish you had weighed everything before installing it, so we could know how much weight it adds. And also if you have any inkling as to how much of an improvement in aerodynamics this makes regarding a) in vehicle noise, b) gas mileage / fuel economy, c) driving dynamics

All info in the posts just read it more. ;)

Recap:=

Weights? The skid tray was 5kg, all other items one hand (no wrist strain)easy lift so light weight & probably under 0.7kg

Vehicle noise? NO additional noise, makes car quieter

Driving dynamics? The car feels more stable in cross winds & also in corners where it wants to lift the rear inside wheel. The rear axle tray makes the most difference part IV post5.

Fuel economy? considering I have added between 1m to 2m of flat (covered 1m to 2m of rough) to the underside of the car, the air will be more efficient & therefore better economy (basic aero laws).

Because I was adding these items in stages & on a new car the engine was not run in so direct before & after comparison is not achievable. Also I do not do a regular commute!

However I get the middle VW quoted figure on my car driving in sport mode (running on Shell Nitro) all the time so 42 to 48 accurate mpg (UK) in a 1.4TSI

flygteye

Ready to race!
All parts for the front tray can be ordered from Europe for about $250USD. I just placed an order along with a bunch of the other pieces in this thread.

Let us know all about them when you get them. I'm interested in these as well.

Derf

Ready to race!

Recap:=

Weights? The skid tray was 5kg, all other items one hand (no wrist strain)easy lift so light weight & probably under 0.7kg

Vehicle noise? NO additional noise, makes car quieter

Driving dynamics? The car feels more stable in cross winds & also in corners where it wants to lift the rear inside wheel. The rear axle tray makes the most difference part IV post5.

Fuel economy? considering I have added between 1m to 2m of flat (covered 1m to 2m of rough) to the underside of the car, the air will be more efficient & therefore better economy (basic aero laws).

Because I was adding these items in stages & on a new car the engine was not run in so direct before & after comparison is not achievable. Also I do not do a regular commute!

However I get the middle VW quoted figure on my car driving in sport mode (running on Shell Nitro) all the time so 42 to 48 accurate mpg (UK) in a 1.4TSI

Thanks much! I have a growing list of mods I want to do now, and this just made the list.

Anyone in the US, post up what the total cost for all this comes out to (I see we've already added $250 for the front tray, curious what the full monty costs).

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed

On my trip home from NH to NJ through CT I saw an indicated 37.7 US mpg which would be 45.28 UK mpg. The distance traveled was 326mi with an average speed of 63mph. I made the trip in one sitting, no stops for anything. The duration was about 5 hours and fifteen minutes. I'm pleased with the observed results. The claimed highway mpg for my car is 36mpg US or 43.2 UK.

I believe my current typical average is 34.5 US mpg or 41.43 UK mpg. This is not surprising as I have the 1.8 TSI while Dave has the 1.4 TSI.

Last edited: