GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
PUPPIES!!!!

I'm driving from Portland up to the almost non-town of Seabrook, WA this weekend to spend time with family. Will have to take our big chocolate lab with me since my other half is flying somewhere else.
Gotta say though- I really like how much room there is with the back seats down! Now I just have to figure out how to keep the dog out of the front, and paws off the front armrest.

I do not have details but on this forum others have mentioned dog screens that are made for MK7. Maybe search under "Dogs".

Thanks Sandman- I've seen a few online, but the dog being in my new VW is only happening since he HAS to come with me.. and i'm sure as hell not letting him in my rambler.

With the back seats down, a fitted sheet for a full/queen bed fits around the seat backs and tucks into the rear floor cover quite nice.

Do you have your pups in the GTI much?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I do not have details but on this forum others have mentioned dog screens that are made for MK7. Maybe search under "Dogs".

Thanks Sandman- I've seen a few online, but the dog being in my new VW is only happening since he HAS to come with me.. and i'm sure as hell not letting him in my rambler.

With the back seats down, a fitted sheet for a full/queen bed fits around the seat backs and tucks into the rear floor cover quite nice.

Do you have your pups in the GTI much?

When I bought car did not have any dogs. My last dog died over a year ago.
I did not think I would take dogs in new car, but.
I have made two trips with them. Today was a 3 hour drive.
They did well but I do not know how long I can carry two dogs plus what ever my wife needs to bring. I hear the new Tiquan will be out in USA some time in 2016. Wife's car is 10 years old, maybe a new dog hauler is due.
My truck is 19 and know one day it will let me down, so 3 hour drives to Alabama worry me.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
First Time Personal Tags.

When I purchased my truck back in 1996 I tried get personal tags but only submitted one name. I could not think of anything else I wanted at the time. Just like then, the first name I submitted this time was taken. One would not think another person would want that plate name in Tennessee.

Below are the 3 choices I submitted. I received number 2.

1. SANDMAN
2. GTI MK7
3. MKVII

I know the last two are not very creative but the other items I came up with would likely cause more people to tail gate me thinking I am going to race them by doing so.
Tennessee normally has two groups of 3 letters or numbers on each side, so "GTI MK7" will not stand out as much but people who know the car will notice it. Sort of like a stealth personal tag.

They do not stamp the numbers anymore. The letters and numbers are flat print only. The plate metal was also changed, feels like aluminum

I sort of liked number 3 also. Only a small group would know what that means and where I live that would be one or two other people in the county.

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

NeNaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
When I purchased my truck back in 1996 I tried get personal tags but only submitted one name. I could not think of anything else I wanted at the time. Just like then, the first name I submitted this time was taken. One would not think another person would want that plate name in Tennessee.

Below are the 3 choices I submitted. I received number 2.

1. SANDMAN
2. GTI MK7
3. MKVII

I know the last two are not very creative but the other items I came up with would likely cause more people to tail gate me thinking I am going to race them by doing so.
Tennessee normally has two groups of 3 letters or numbers on each side, so "GTI MK7" will not stand out as much but people who know the car will notice it. Sort of like a stealth personal tag.

They do not stamp the numbers anymore. The letters and numbers are flat print only. The plate metal was also changed, feels like aluminum

I sort of liked number 3 also. Only a small group would know what that means and where I live that would be one or two other people in the county.

View attachment 5624

View attachment 5625

View attachment 5626
Sweet!!!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I ordered a lightning cable for 5s so I can connect.
When I plug in the car tries to connect and then 3 seconds later connect again. Keeps doing this but never connects.
Cable from ECS and has white base Piece.
VW part.
Any suggestion?
Tried to it in again and all looks secure. Turned car off and back on.
Called Car Net and they suggested doing any phone program upgrades. Yes it show one needed. Will see if it helps.

I informed the person helping, it had white base and said it should be correct for 5s.

Thanks for info, will look into it more, contact ECS to verify correct part for application.

Reply from forum member:
That's the correct part number, same one I have, works as it should I also ordered this extension to be able to place my phone on the holder while charging and because I have a bigger phone case and the neck wouldn't fit with case on

Lightning Extension Cable (2 foot black) for iPhone 6, 6 Plus; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-Pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GP08858..._xhwJvbGSJY25R
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GP08858..._xhwJvbGSJY25R

Update!
Both VW and ECS Tuning got back with me and confirmed I needed a Green base cable to hook up to my 5s phone.
I returned the white base to ECS and they sent me the correct one.
Plugged it in an it worked great.
Problem solved.:D

For anyone wondering if the cable connect is worth the money.
I knew it would be better but was not aware of what else I would pick up.
Until now I have used Blue Tooth to link to my phone.
The music comes thru but is weak and I have to turn volume almost to full in order to hear well.

With the cable the sound is perfect.
Album image is now displayed with music.
I can go in and pick different folders and play music in them.
So far these are the main items. Have not played with anything else.

Bottom line it is worth the cost for the cable connector.:D

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Dealer Check list on New Car

If this helps anyone:
I am listing the items I requested my dealer verify when preparing my new car. Add to it any items you want special or for them to hceck based on new issues posted on Forum.

Below is a list of what I provided to my Sales Rep.
From this she knew I was about details.
She requested the best Tech do the inspection and prep on my car.
They lightly hand washed. I told them it did not have to be spot clean.
I had to remove some small pices of white shipping plastic but that was ok with me.

My Sales Rep was great and did everything.
I had no plates installed on rear or front of car at dealer.
The temp tag was taped in the read hatch window.
My sales rep was careful to tape between the defrost wires so when removed would not damage. She was great!:D

Hope this helps.
Add to it things you want special.
I made my list from other Forum Memeber issues.

New VW GTI MK7 Check List for PurchaseBelow is a list of items I want to verify during the upcoming process of purchasing my ordered car.

Shipping Struck Pucks under rubber shock boots:mad:
Verify the shipping strut pucks have been removed from car. There are 3 per shock if still in place.If left in place can damage car.(Shock Stops) used in shipping I know the front shocks have them, not sure about rear. (Normally blue color but may be different now).

Fuel Rail Recall - still going on - many cars.
Verify recent recall for fuel rail leaks does not include my car.Prevent fuel leak

Front Licence Plate Holder - NONE!
I do not want a front plate holder mounted.I do not want holes in bumper.Please do not drill holes in front bumper.

4 Mud Flaps
With the mud flap parts, do they come with clear film that is installedCorrect installprior to mounting? To reduce rubbing from rubber part on paint and metal.

1st Washing of car by dealer
If this washing is completed using pole brush or other harsh methods,Prevent scratches in paint.I would rather have the car not washed. I want to prevent swirl marks in paint.Either hand wash with clean mit or run thru touchless wash. (Soft brush car wash does not count - only touchless)

What tires are coming on car?
If the tires are not Bridgestone I would like to get them changed.Will want to run Bridgestone tires.I need tire size info so I can get tires ordered at Firestone as needed.

Dealer Sticker on rear of car.
I would prefer not having a sticker placed on paint of hatch.Prevent damage to paint and scratches when removing.I understand I may not be able to control until I own car.I also understand you want advertisement. If Sticker can be placed on rear hatch glass and be seenI would go for this and leave on car for a few months.I can also purchase a licence plate holder for front tow hook location and mount dealer plate for a while,if this can help keep sticker off painter hatch.

Stabilizer Link Recall (Steering)
This is an early recal item for torque setting - Verify my car not affected.Check if car affected.

Rattling fuel lines under passanger side of car
There have been complaints about fuel lines running under car between floor pan and plastic under cover,Check if car affected and prevent return trip.vibrating at certain RPM range. This is located under passanger seat.The fix is to add foam padding to lines and secure lines more so they do not virate.

Car Mats
I plan on ordering Weather Tech Mats so I would not need floor mats for car.
No need for Monster mats.

Black paint missing on edge and back side of wheel.
Some issues with early cars missing black paint on back side and edge of wheels. Prevent need to returnThis can be seen from face of wheel.

I-Phone cord for hooking up a Apple 5S
I am not sure if one comes with car, but I would like to get a cable if VW has them.

Fuel Door latch sticking
Issue with early cars. Just need to verify the fuel door will open. Test several times.

Program center display panel to have carbon fiber background.
I heard it has to be done thru VCDS - and dealer has done for others.Can the service dept change this thru lap top or can it be done thru main screen by driver?

Rear license plate frame holder
What type of holder does VW mount? I would like to see. I would like to have a good plate holder on rear of car. I purchased one I like but do not know what VW uses. As I will not have a plate when I get car, they could just not mount the rear holder and I will take care of it. If the back side of plate locations is easy to get to with bolts. Thoughts?As I will get plate later, could they maybe not mount the plate on rear and I will handle getting one?

Wheel lock nuts. Can not remember if I ordered with car but I would like to buy a set for car. If VW can install grat if not, will take with me.I think you might carry in parts at dealer?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Paddle Shift Extensions -

Mine arrived!
My first thought was to go safe and order black.
Then I liked the silver.
Finally I picked the red to add some color to interior.

The red as shown on Ebay looked like a bright red but the color is a little more calm.
I still like.

After reading about other installs and suggestion to use two wasy auto tape, I had planned to go that route. Looking at the paddle extension they fit the OE paddles perfectly. I felt adding the 2 way tape might not look as good due to it spacing the extension out more from OE paddle. It would not affect use but looking at the set screws I decided to install them as designed and not use the two way tape. If I could find very thin tape then that might be a good option, but the tape sold near me is thick (1-2mm).

How does it work and feel?
They are not small. It will take some getting use to seeing them spin around while driving.
At the 9 and 3 position they shift as well as OE, maybe better with less effort. I also do not have to locate the paddle like I sometimes do on the OE set up.
At 10 and 2 position you can shift the paddle all the way out to very tip.
Feels good not having to drop hand down to shift when I hold wheel in this location.
At 8 and 4 postion you can still shift but you are using the part of the paddle extension that is closer to the OE paddle. You can not go to the very bottom of the extension and shift. The angle is to far off to get leverage.
Not an issue but just for info.

Bottom line, I really like. :D:D I like the look. They are big but remind me of the paddles used in cars featured in "Need For Speed" Movie.
In driving it takes less thought to locate the paddles. With the OE I find I search for the paddles. Not a big issue but the extensions just make it better. I also thought the set screws stood out too much in pictures but in person they are very small. Very Small.
In my picture you can see they do not show up a lot.

Sold on Ebay by dealer hiuda123.
Tittle - VW Golf R GTI Scirocco
Cost - $69

Specify in note section color and if you want company logo on or off. Mine are left off.

Get you some!

IMG_1074.JPG

Last edited:

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
PUPPIES!!!!

I'm driving from Portland up to the almost non-town of Seabrook, WA this weekend to spend time with family. Will have to take our big chocolate lab with me since my other half is flying somewhere else.
Gotta say though- I really like how much room there is with the back seats down! Now I just have to figure out how to keep the dog out of the front, and paws off the front armrest.

With my MKV I used to take the parcel shelf and put the flat side in the hooks on the seat backs when they were laid down, and then lean the rounded side up against the back of the front seats.

I think since there aren't hooks but just recessed bungee hook type things on the mk7, you could use the space between rear headrests and the top of seat to set the edge of the parcel shelf on

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Paint Issue - White front fender to bumper contact.

Others have posted about this issue. :mad:
The front fenders are rubing or mving against the bumper section.
The paint is being pulled from bumper.
I plan to review with Dealer when I go in for 10,000 mile service.
I know others have had this repaired. Not sure on any adjustments to prevent.

FYI.

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

petroglyphix

Ready to race!
Sandman, looks like yours is significantly worse than mine. How many miles on your odo? I have 2500 and looks like this:

Mine is 2 weeks old and I'll be having it looked at very shortly when my plates arrives at the dealer.

I'm aiming to have an entirely new bumper fitted AND the 3m protective coating thrown in.

You seem like you've dealt with a car issue or two, am I asking too much?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Laminex Headlight and Hood Edge Clear Bra.

I purchased both thru ECS Tuning.
Headlight film was around $58. This includes fog light film if you decide to do.
The front edge hood bra was something like $140. I think.
The clear bra extends about 6 inches up from edge of hood.
From 5 feet away it is hard to see. I can find it because I know it is there.

I feel this is a must for any Golf head light. The cost is so small and protection so good.
The clear bra costs more but is also a must for protection.
They make a full front kits that are around $350. Little more than I want to spend. I would like to do the front edge of bumper, where the bugs collect. Maybe the front edge of the lower white spoiler also.

Pulled from Laminex Headlight and Fog Light Thread. (My writre up)
I have been meaning to do a write up on my build thread but have not washed car in 2 weeks to take some pictures.
I installed Laminex leading edge clear bra on hood and also head lights. My past experience with installing film was on our front door with frosted film and some house windows using UV film. The clear hood bra installs like the house film. Clean car, spray hood location, peel and spray back of film, apply position and slowly work out from center. I found the hood film easier. Will provide good protection. They also make a lower clear bra but this is bigger than I want. I would like a piece that fits the flat part only of bumper. This is the location that collect and most bugs.
Headlight film. Read directions first. On the headlight film, clean the head lights. Remove film backing and then only spray the head light with light soap solution. The less water the easier. The headlight film had to bend more so it does not stick down until all water is out from behind film. This takes time so be patient and stick with it. I almost gave up. I used a can of compressed air to help blow behind film at edges to remove liquid and dry film so it sticks. Just do not blow hard. Light touch. If you can not get liquid out, lift edge and blow more. Use the tool they send with felt on outside. If you press to hard with direct plastic tool you might scratch film. I did not use but if you have a lower temp heat gun, try but do not get close. Main goal is stick with it. As you get the fluid out from under film it will stick. Until then keep working.
When you apply, get the headlight film lined up. It does not slide as well as bra hood film. Also using less fluid it will not move as well.
Install when you have time. Maybe do one and then take a break.
Headlight film is tough and will protect light well.
You will not get all air out and may have some trapped fluid. Try to get air out that island R than 1mm. Once you are done, leave some for 24 hours. If possible park car in the sun so headlights face sun. The sun will clear up and smoky look from fluid and will help remove
Small bubbles. After 24 hours go in the needle and carefully PPP blister and remove air. Poke the film but do not hit light. Go slow. The film will become clear and smooth in the sun.
I had to trim the edges and plastic tabs off when installed. Use the craft cutting blade they send and cut about half way they film then try for peel off. Do not cut all the way thru or you will cut your light. Light touch.
I think these films are a must. The headlight film it stought.
When you look at head light after a week it looks about 99% normal. You can see slight distortion but only time I can see it from behind the wheel is when I pull in next to garage door at an angle and to the side you can see light distorted some. On the road I can not tell. At night looking at light it looks good.

If the film bothers some then how will they like their lights when they are pitted after 6 months. I feel the slight trade off is worth the protection for my $1500 LP lights.
The hood bra can only be seen once you get within 5 ft of car. Then you can see the upper edge. But again it is worth it for protection. Make sure hand are clean when you peel off and apply film. The back side is sticky and will pick up things. Do in garage or on a non windy day.
I used unscented baby bath soap to mix solution. I think the headlight film comes with a small sprayer and the hood is a larger sprayer. Use the larger sprayer.
Bottom line. Get the film and protect the car and head lights.
When time I will take pics and post. However it fits in so well you might not see anything.

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman, looks like yours is significantly worse than mine. How many miles on your odo? I have 2500 and looks like this:

Mine is 2 weeks old and I'll be having it looked at very shortly when my plates arrives at the dealer.

I'm aiming to have an entirely new bumper fitted AND the 3m protective coating thrown in.

You seem like you've dealt with a car issue or two, am I asking too much?

I currently am at 5,600 miles.
I noticed about 2 months ago when washing the car.
I know I did not miss before as this is an easy location to see when washing.
It just happened and has been there since. I do not think it is growing now but at first was smaller.
Share any info the dealer gives you on repair. All white owners would like to know.
I do not enjoy dealing with car service people. I have had great service department and have had some I wish I never went into. My local Ford dealer took 4 visits to replace a blower fan for heat and AC Unit.
What I hate most about that is they took my dash apart 4 times and now some parts are loose and I noticed recently they cracked the corner of the dash by the side window vent. I told them I did not them adding damage to my 19 year old truck. I still need to drive it and they should not try to tear it up.
I went in and talked to the Manager of the dealer and explained the issue. I told him where I work we now would get everyone involved and develop a plan to make it right in the next visit. If they need other people involved to get ready. Needless to say when it came time to test drive Fords before buying my GTI I did not even visit this dealer.
Why they can not understand that poor service means lost business for new car purchases. Idiots.