GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I miss being able to lock my car with it running.

ChalkboardCowboy

I'm a dog owner with a new 2015 GTI which I absolutely love. However, one thing that's really irritating me is the (apparent) inability to leave my dog in the locked car with the engine and AC running, e.g. for a quick trip into the convenience store.

It seems like VW did everything they could to prevent it: there's no keypad access (my absolute favorite feature on the previous car), and the remote entry fob is integrated into the key (no KESSY here), so I can't take that with me, either.

Short of buying another fob, removing the ignition key, and leaving that in the car, is there any way to accomplish this?

LeGti

Ready to race!
Cool dog.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I'm a dog owner with a new 2015 GTI which I absolutely love. However, one thing that's really irritating me is the (apparent) inability to leave my dog in the locked car with the engine and AC running, e.g. for a quick trip into the convenience store.

It seems like VW did everything they could to prevent it: there's no keypad access (my absolute favorite feature on the previous car), and the remote entry fob is integrated into the key (no KESSY here), so I can't take that with me, either.

Short of buying another fob, removing the ignition key, and leaving that in the car, is there any way to accomplish this?

Check your local laws too. It has been illegal to keep your car running while idle in 2 of the 3 states I have lived in. Even got a warning ticket in Louisville, KY for not turning the car off in a drive-thru (of my own restaurant of course...).

ChalkboardCowboy

Check your local laws too. It has been illegal to keep your car running while idle in 2 of the 3 states I have lived in. Even got a warning ticket in Louisville, KY for not turning the car off in a drive-thru (of my own restaurant of course...).

I've got 15 minutes where I live, which is longer than I've ever left him.

Also, I found out today that even if I did buy a fob just to leave in the car, it wouldn't help. I tried with the second fob, and the car won't lock with the engine running. Seriously annoying--not being able to duck into a store if my dog is with me is a fairly big quality-of-life issue.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Why not just turn off the engine, lower every window a couple of inches, so that there is fresh air for the dog, and lock it??

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

chalkboard; Hi. someone else asked this same question on the Ross-Tech forum. I made a suggestion which you will find in the link below. I never received a reply from OP, so I'm not sure if it works. You probably don't have a VCDS cable, but if you can find someone here who can help, it might be worth trying.
cheers
Don

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...h-Engine-Running&p=30716&viewfull=1#post30716

darkice1

Passed Driver's Ed
chalkboard; Hi. someone else asked this same question on the Ross-Tech forum. I made a suggestion which you will find in the link below. I never received a reply from OP, so I'm not sure if it works. You probably don't have a VCDS cable, but if you can find someone here who can help, it might be worth trying.

cheers

Don

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...h-Engine-Running&p=30716&viewfull=1#post30716

I confirm this enable the keyfob to work even when the engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone

ChalkboardCowboy

Why not just turn off the engine, lower every window a couple of inches, so that there is fresh air for the dog, and lock it??

Because I live in the South, and it's summertime, and cracked windows really don't cut it here. Especially since the usual scenario is I stop at the dollar store on the way home from the dog park, and the car is already hot as hell. I do appreciate the reply, though.

cheers
Don

I've been on the fence about getting a VCDS cable (and if so, whether to pony up for the real one or gamble with a cheap one), but even the possibility of fixing it this way just might sell me. Thanks for the pointer.

Edit:
I confirm this enable the keyfob to work even when the engine is running.

Oh, I'm definitely getting it now. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Why would you want to leave the engine running if you leave the car? It's a waste of fuel.

These engines burn about 1 gallon per 4 hours of idling. He already said for things like quick trips into a convenience store, hardly worth even considering.

Can't bring your dog in convenience stores, and cracking the windows isn't enough to keep it from getting uncomfortable. Some dogs can't be trusted to not jump out of an open window. It's also a crazy world where people steal others' dogs/children etc out of cars while they're in a 711 for 5 minutes grabbing a cup of coffee. I work at a convenience store, and one time while I was pumping gas on shift a child was abducted from someone's car while they were inside for less than 5 minutes. Small features like this DO have uses.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've been on the fence about getting a VCDS cable (and if so, whether to pony up for the real one or gamble with a cheap one), but even the possibility of fixing it this way just might sell me. Thanks for the pointer.

Edit:

Oh, I'm definitely getting it now. Thanks guys!

Get the real one as this allows you to use the latest versions 14.10 which the cheapo ones DO NOT..............

The Golf MK7 NEEDS version 14.10 or newer to work due to different protocals..........