GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cigarette lighter 12v Always on.

Noodile

Passed Driver's Ed
This isn't new, but i found this out by accident, and if there was a thread on here, i might've found it sooner.

This post was originally by H5DJR on GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Below quoted is the post, under which are new pics.

A colleague on the ASN-8V (new A3) forum has come across something that may also work with the Golf Mk7. It is a very simple way to make all the 12v sockets (cigarette lighter and boot sockets) stay live even when the ignition is turned off. This situation was the normal setting on all previous A3s but the the new 8V model it was changed so that they were only live with the ignition on. A bit of a pain if you want, for example, to use a power pump for the tyres.

To make the change you just need access to the main fuse box behind the glove box. (picture from the Fitting a 3-4 way cigy adapter thread by RikWebb - thanks)

In the bottom right-hand corner above the relay labelled 645 in the picture is a Yellow 20amp fuse between a Green 30amp and a Black 1amp and Red 40amp. These fuse has in fact three slots for the two blades can go into. If it is in the the bottom and centre slots the 12v sockets only work when the ignition is on. If the fuse is moved so that the blades are put in the centre and top slots the sockets should be permanently live. This works on the A3 and I assume it will work the same on the Golf 7. Perhaps someone with a Golf 7 would like to try it.

BEFORE....... Note the yellow fuse in the blue box.

20150518_182058 by ramytarek, on Flickr

After .......

20150518_182023 by ramytarek, on Flickr

Snailed_It

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
12' Golf TDI
cheers! awesome find!

PeteTDI

Sweet find, coming from a A3 it was annoying that I couldn't charge my phone with the engine off. Now I just need to figure out a mute button...

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
That was one of the first things I did for the dashcam to run permanently, along with the soundkator disconnection.

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Does this not kill your battery (to the critical point where it keeps its reserve)? and reduce the life of your battery?

ommoran

Ready to race!
Given the state of affairs in the BC lower mainland today, with no power anywhere it seems, im doing this mod immediately.

I'm currently sitting at a restaurant stealing their power as my phone is almost dead....

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info! When I receive my new Sportsvan I'll see if it shares the same fuse box that appears in the pics :D

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I finnally made this change.
Odd that it is this easy.
Almost like VW wanted to set it like this for us but could not.
So nice to have the option.
However in USA fuse box Is not behind glove box.
But I did get to see how many bugs and how much dirt has collected in my cabin filter after only 5 months. :eek:
The small drivers side compartment is almost as easy to remove as glove box.

Sportsvan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you to both for the very useful information! :)

I still have not my new Golf 7 (Sportsvan model) but my actual car, a Citroen C4 Picasso, as all the new Citroen/Peugeot, has a kind of "Energy Saving" mode which monitors all the electronics using energy in the car and shuts them off it it detects that they drain energy for a long period of time. For instance, if one leaves inadvertedly the lights on, or the stereo is "on" for a long time without the engine running.

This is a nuisance, as it's almost impossible to be a long time listening the radio, for instance, as the "Energy Saving" mode kicks in and turns the radio off... :rolleyes:

Note: this energy saving mode does not monitor except the emergency flashers (hazard lights) and they stay lit until the battery is depleted.

So, using common sense, I'm glad that cigaretter lighters in the new Golfs are not monitored :) :) :D

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question for the newbies out there. Do I have to disconnect my battery before doing this?