GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Let your dealer know that you don't want anybody to test drive your new car like a potential buyer that maybe looking for PP and yours is the only one they have to test drive.

I am sure that some dealers do this, but if mine does this with my car I would be surprised. As long as I have waited and as much as I have talked to them about not hole drilling in front bumper I do not think they will test drive.
But one could be wrong.
We will see.

petroglyphix

Ready to race!
I am sure that some dealers do this, but if mine does this with my car I would be surprised. As long as I have waited and as much as I have talked to them about not hole drilling in front bumper I do not think they will test drive.

But one could be wrong.

We will see.

I told my connect at the dealer not to let it be test driven, even by them. I want to be there for the initial ride. She said it was a good thing I mentioned it because until it's collected it's still an open market vehicle (say I died on the drive to the dealership. Morbid, I know). Anyways, she said she needed to tell the manager to put a specific tag on it and asked for a name to put on the file in place of mine should a catastrophic failure of my circulatory system occur. Wouldn't hurt to specify your desires.

Anyways, sandman you got my car with 4 doors! It's a beauty my friend, I hope it brings you a lot of enjoyment.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I told my connect at the dealer not to let it be test driven, even by them. I want to be there for the initial ride. She said it was a good thing I mentioned it because until it's collected it's still an open market vehicle (say I died on the drive to the dealership. Morbid, I know). Anyways, she said she needed to tell the manager to put a specific tag on it and asked for a name to put on the file in place of mine should a catastrophic failure of my circulatory system occur. Wouldn't hurt to specify your desires.

Anyways, sandman you got my car with 4 doors! It's a beauty my friend, I hope it brings you a lot of enjoyment.

I was a little worried at first when I noticed my car posted on dealer web site for sale. My rep said it was an error and that she had the keys locked up and the only person who has driven it was the tech who checked the car. She sent a picture of the car cleaned up and sitting inside the lobby till I arrive. Only 6 miles on OD.

I have a good sales rep!

She did say many calls came in when post went up.
Hope she sells many cars after they "LOOK" at my car from the outside. :)

petroglyphix

Ready to race!
I was a little worried at first when I noticed my car posted on dealer web site for sale. My rep said it was an error and that she had the keys locked up and the only person who has driven it was the tech who checked the car. She sent a picture of the car cleaned up and sitting inside the lobby till I arrive. Only 6 miles on OD.

I have a good sales rep!

She did say many calls came in when post went up.

Hope she sells many cars after they "LOOK" at my car from the outside. :)

Ha, you are a good man. I would like to think I will be waiting at the dealership when the truck pulls up. Likely fanciful thinking, but a boy can dream. Please let me know your initial impressions when you pick her up. The car, not the sales gal [emoji6]

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ha, you are a good man. I would like to think I will be waiting at the dealership when the truck pulls up. Likely fanciful thinking, but a boy can dream. Please let me know your initial impressions when you pick her up. The car, not the sales gal [emoji6]

Funny you mention meeting the truck when it pulls in. When I bought my truck new in August 1996 I had to wait 1 month for custom order. At the time I worked shift and got off work late the day the truck was due to arrive. I drove by dealer about 9:30PM thinking I might see the truck sitting on the lot. As I got closer I could see a car hauler was at the dealer. The driver was working on unloading the vehicles. I pulled in and parked. Got out and on the top level there sat my V8 Ford F-150. I talked with the driver and told him that was my truck. When he got to it, he backed it off, parked it and left the door open, asking if I wanted to take a look. :)
It was like Christmas. No one was at dealer except the driver and myself.
That was fun! The next day I went down traded in my Honda CRX and drove off in the F150!

jjm51

Ready to race!
keep us posted buddy.

looking forward to a full review. as i told you i decided to wait for the 2016's. need my 'fix' from you guys who have gotten the pp.'s. :D

safe spirited driving to you sandman!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The pick up!

Just a quick note. Will update more when I am near a desk computer and can load pictures.
When my car arrived at dealer it had 6 miles on it. (Wonder if it was even test driven at the plant;)). Once dealer had completed inspection, preparation work and put gas in car it had 9 miles.

I pulled thru the dealers door and of the showroom floor with 9 miles on OD.

Took wife for a test drive to check it out then back to dealer for the talk. Everything went great. My Sales Rep handled everything well and currently I have no holes in front bumper and also no holes in rear bumper. They would have done the rear but I want to see if I can come up with better mounting holes for bolts. I have a Volvo frame and will go from there. Drove the 90 miles home from Chattanooga with wife in tow. Kept to normal driving speeds for break in time but you can feel it wants to run and the PP brakes are ready to stop on a dime.
If you are near the Chattanooga area visit Village VW and ask for Lynn.
Let me know ahead of time and I can let her know so I get some credit. :)

She is very professional and kept me well informed.
What you want done, she will make it happen.

You can also compare many cars. VW and Audi dealer here and there are about 30 other dealers within a rocks throw.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Day of Pick Up!

Some pictures of car when ready.:D:D:D

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Move!

Don't you hate it when you are taking pictures of your new car and some guy just hangs out, getting in the way?
Yes he is bigger than I am, but if he gets that cigarette any closer to my new car, we are going to have a problem. :)

Really not to bad.
It is hard when you are parked by main entrance.

IMG_0628.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Volvo Plate Holder

Sandman, what are your plans for mounting license plates?? Just curious. Thanks.

Currently I am waiting for letter from dealer with my plate info. Not sure why they would not give it to me but had it mailed.
I did not get plates at dealer because I want to get custom plates.
I have purchased a Volvo plate holder that many have talked about on the forum. In the past I would find many posted on ebay but when I purchased mine I did not see that many. I think mine was even used as it was $7 compared to $14 or more for others in past. Even used it was in good shape. Comes anodized so I painted mine black using left over bed liner spray paint so it has a light texture. However holder will not been seen once on.
I have located automotive plastic mounts that I will use by drilling two 1/2 holes at the Volvo center mounting holes (Walmart has black mounts and Lowe's has white). Then the plastic mounts get pushed into the holes, Volvo Frame goes on and then two screws attached and tightened down. I will likely work on it this weekend, so will take pictures of the steps and share early next week. Hope soon enough for you. If you need more info now let me know and I can take some pictures of all parts. The Volvo frame it simple but strong.
I just did not want dealer to simply run self taping screws in to the plastic rear panel. It just does not look good when plate removed even though no one can see it. But I would know what it looks like underneath so I did not want this.:eek:

IMG_0611.JPG

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Sandman,

Congrats on the GTI after a long wait! Now that you have had it for a few days, how are you enjoying it so far? I found for me that it was just like what people had said in their personal reviews "better than expected!"

I have the Volvo plate as well and have a few questions.

1. what is the point of painting it? I have read were others have done this, but it doesn't seem like something that will corrode or rust. Also, it won't be visible once the plate is mounted. Just curious if I am missing something.

2. I have purchased a couple of well nuts and plan on mounting the bracket to the bumper using the same two holes as you. One thing I notice is that the rubber on the well nut is thicker than on the plate and may cause it to "wobble" because it will only be making contact with the center of the bracket. In other words, those rubber bits on the bracket will not touch the bumper if I install this bracket using those two center holes. Do you foresee this being an issue with the mounts that you have? Do you have the specific name of those mounts?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman,

Congrats on the GTI after a long wait! Now that you have had it for a few days, how are you enjoying it so far? I found for me that it was just like what people had said in their personal reviews "better than expected!"

I have the Volvo plate as well and have a few questions.

1. what is the point of painting it? I have read were others have done this, but it doesn't seem like something that will corrode or rust. Also, it won't be visible once the plate is mounted. Just curious if I am missing something.

2. I have purchased a couple of well nuts and plan on mounting the bracket to the bumper using the same two holes as you. One thing I notice is that the rubber on the well nut is thicker than on the plate and may cause it to "wobble" because it will only be making contact with the center of the bracket. In other words, those rubber bits on the bracket will not touch the bumper if I install this bracket using those two center holes. Do you foresee this being an issue with the mounts that you have? Do you have the specific name of those mounts?

1. Painting is purely a personal decision. Rust is not an issue especially in Tennessee. The anodized finish is fine, but my car being white black and red, I just wanted to paint frame black. Once plate in no one will see. However it does look nice. I will get picks and post.

2. The mounting plugs I will use are fairly thin and I think will be lower than the rubber bumpers on back. Thanks for reminder I will verify when I take some pics of painted frame. Lowe's has two types of blocks. One is thicker and one is thin. I will post what I plan to use later also.