GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gap insurance

gt_pete

Hi everyone
I'm interested in buying gap insurance either through VW or off the internet and wondered what your thoughts were.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I have it. I managed to negotiate down to £300 as part of the deal at the VW garage. My view is £300 is a small outlay compared to the purchase price. A standard 3dr GTD is £25565 of which, 20% is VAT coming to £4261. If you were unlucky enough to have the car written off within a few hours of collecting it. The GAP insurance would cover the difference between your car considered now as 2nd hand with 0% VAT and your initial outlay of £25565 including the VAT.

Conversely you may never need to claim on it so the money would be lost.

GazGTD

Passed Driver's Ed
I got gap when I bought my scirocco VW quoted me £300 got it for £130 through ala will definitley be getting it again when my golf arrives as it is just peace of mind knowing I have it.

testcard

Ready to race!
I got 3 years Vehicle Replacement Insurance thrown in as part of the deal on my new GTD, so worth negotiating.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
VW (and other main dealers) increase the premium by two or three fold as they know that people are not generally aware how much this type of product costs. A few minutes on the net will reveal you should not pay more than around £150 for it....

gt_pete

Yes so I found out, but normally when things are a third of the price it's too good to be true. Ala quoted £120
Click4gap quoted £170
Vw was £300
When there's that much of a difference I always wonder if the cheaper companies pay out if required.