GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windscreen washer water delivery delay

lambada

Passed Driver's Ed
I am experiencing a short delay between pulling the wipers stalk and the pump starting and another short delay between the pump starting and the water being sprayed onto the fromt windscreen. This is sometimes leading to the wipers moving across the windscreen before it has been sprayed with water. Is this normal? The rear windscreen jet delivers water instantly.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Quite normal.

The delay is longer the first time you squirt but once you've fired the 1st one off, subsequent squirts come quite quickly.

lambada

Passed Driver's Ed
It concerns me because it can lead to unnecessary scratches on the windscreen and quicker wear of the wiper blades. Can't understand why the water makes it to the rear windscreen quicker. There is only one pump for front and rear, right ?

top-drawer

I seem to recall on my Mk6 the wiper action was delayed until water was on the screen, which was always a nice touch. This no longer seems to happen on my Mk7. As lambada says, why would you want the wiper on the screen without water?

Stripey

Ready to race!
I get a delay on the rear squirt too. Probably not helped by the leaks that dribble out whilst driving and reducing the amount of fluid held in the tube feeding the washer.

However, I really wouldn't worry about scratches and rubber wear. The impact will be negligible (unless the wipers do about 4 swipes before the water comes out). The rubber is more likely to deteriorate more from weather (hot/cold/wet/dry) than actually being used.