GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
It's the OEM tow module retrofit kit. In the states it was only sold for the Tiguan and Atlas. I don't know that any MK7 Golfs are tow rated here. But mqb is mqb. And Golfs are rated outside of the US. There's even an electric swiveling tow hitch for the wagon.

The module installs on a bracket in the spare tire well. I'm not sure whether I'll have to cut some of the foam tool kit. Ordered the bracket on eBay from somewhere in the EU. It's a part number for the Golf but not available from the dealers here.

This kit comes with a four pin tow plug. But the module is capable of handling a 7 or 13 and can be wired for that. It comes with the coding document which the dealer would use with ODIS so that all the coding could be done online. But it's just basic coding that can be done with obd11 or vcds. No swap codes or anything like that.

It'll be wired per the Tiguan/Atlas schematic including the additional power wires the Atlas has (needed if doing 7 pin plug) that would be required to charge a trailer battery, although there's basically no chance I'll tow anything.

Having the OEM module and having it coded properly means the trailer is accounted for in a lot of ways whenever the module senses a trailer is plugged in. Brake/stability compensation via the ABS module, higher duty cycle for the cooling system, auto rear parking sensor deactivation, warning for burned out trailer lights, car alarm if the trailer is unplugged with car locked.

I don't know that some/all of these features are not available with some of the aftermarket tow modules, honestly never looked into them. This kid was discontinued a few years ago and my local dealer had one languishing in their inventory. They aren't able to return discontinued parts for credit so i got it for the low.

There is the difference between modules of early MK7 (Up to +-2014MY, 5Q0907383 for 2 plug and 5Q0907383A for 3 plug) and later ones (2015+ MY, 5Q0907383B and laters) Early module is from 2 to 3 plugs (Tow wiring, car wiring + optional manually retractable tow hitch), later ones got 3 to 4 plugs (Tow wiring, car wiring splitted into bigger plug for mains powers and grounds, smaller for communication + optional semi-automatic retractable tow hitch)

I retrofitted, manually retractable hitch with newer style module (cheaper pre-made wiring and cheaper modules, at least in my country), only "problem" that status LED's doesn't show if hitch is in locked (green LED, doesn't mater if hitch is hidden or open) or unlocked (red LED, hitch in intermediate position, between hidden or open). But in case of manual and semi-automatic tow hitches, you clearly hear when it's locked because locking is loud.

I can recommend to wire it for 13PIN, as the job is the same (- 2 pins in fuse box, so why not) OEM wiring want you to connect to BCM (CAN + brake light signal)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Jachas Since my module is 383L I suppose it would support everything. I may go for 7 pin. The 13 pin may not be common here (or at least doesn't seem to be). I guess I could always use a 13 to 4 adapter. But to be honest I'm never going to connect a trailer or tow anything 🤣.

Still haven't even put the bike rack on the hitch. And it's an aftermarket 2" receiver, not the OEM swivel.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
@Jachas Since my module is 383L I suppose it would support everything.
Everything except semi-automatic swiveling tow hitch, as it only has 3 plug sockets (exterior/hitch, main powers/grounds and CAN/brake signal, 4th socket for button, LED for swivel status in button,etc. is missing)
5Q0907383C/5Q0907383D/5Q0907383F/5Q0907383G/5Q0907383H/5Q0907383M/5Q0907383N have 4th socket so they are "swivel-ready"

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Everything except semi-automatic swiveling tow hitch, as it only has 3 plug sockets (exterior/hitch, main powers/grounds and CAN/brake signal, 4th socket for button, LED for swivel status in button,etc. is missing)
5Q0907383C/5Q0907383D/5Q0907383F/5Q0907383G/5Q0907383H/5Q0907383M/5Q0907383N have 4th socket so they are "swivel-ready"
Gotcha. So the one I have supports everything I would ever need. I won't be doing swivel hitch of any type. The cheapest 383N I see on eBay is almost $200 shipped. I paid under $50 for this kit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Inverter closeout. I don't know if GSW people are really using the outlet back there but I'm retrofitting into my hatch. All they ones on eBay were more expensive than new 😑.
PXL_20240419_235550843.jpg

And 2Q0 rear radar brackets. We'll see how it goes I guess. Figured if I'm pulling the rear bumper might as well do it.
PXL_20240419_235824905.jpg

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ok, I need a link to this, this is cool.

Shy Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Autobahn
I needed some seat covers to keep the hot sun off my black leather seats. Found a solution to my problem! Ended up pulling the seats out to install them as that was just easier. Waiting for some custom patches to come in to put on the head rests. Now I want the plaid shift boot to match lol
Picked them up from https://carfurnisher.com/ Not bad for $180 shipped!
seatcover1.jpg
seatcover3.jpg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP