GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waterpump/Thermostat DIY - Who has done it?

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I went with INA, around 15K KM ago. No issues thus far. Make sure you have an extension for your extensions extension. Getting the Throttle body bolts off was a pain for me, I had to go from the bottom hence the multiple extensions. Took me around 6 hours to complete, but I'm not a mechanic. Make sure that you have a 17MM stubby for the fuel line.
I would've just left the TB on and loosened the intake hose clamp... why did you remove the TB from the intake?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
I got mine from FCP Euro, but in hindsight noticed they've got a hell of a markup on these waterpumps (I understand they've got the warranty but even so, the delta is a lot on this particular item). Much cheaper at Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11191109&jsn=3
Is that INA XW0360 part both the water pump and thermostat? The FCP Euro kit lists it as waterpump/thermostat, but rockauto has it as just a waterpump?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just got the first quote back from an indy shop I’ve used in the past…$1400+tax. Waiting to hear back from the dealership as well, but can’t imagine it will be any cheaper. Looks like I’ll be tackling this myself to save a grand or more!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ok thanks. So that unit replaces both the waterpump and thermostat, correct? (Sorry for the noob questions, just want to be sure)
Correct yep, its the whole module. Comes with the gasket to the block already fitted. Also comes with a drive belt, although most people reuse existing as it's a fiddly affair getting to the reverse thread bolt on the pulley to get the old one off (and it seems those belts last well).

Only other piece I'd recommend you get would be a new union for the waterpump/oil cooler join.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just got the first quote back from an indy shop I’ve used in the past…$1400+tax. Waiting to hear back from the dealership as well, but can’t imagine it will be any cheaper. Looks like I’ll be tackling this myself to save a grand or more!
Yes, that's the price.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
You may want to "upgrade" the plastic union to a billet union piece. I don't think anyone here has one crack but people "heard" that it could go bad. If I had known about this I would have put it in when I did mine. $20.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Figured it would be around there, and dealer will likely be more. Plus, 'while you are in there' you can also do a carbon cleaning on your valves for extra bonus points and savings 😁

Biggest thing with the job is to just take your time. To remove the intake manifold, as DSC808 said early on, pretty much the best video out there is humble mechanics one - he just removes the bare minimum of stuff and it's easy to follow, whereas I found with FCP Euros one they get a bit carried away removing things unnecessarily (like the throttle body...no need, it just comes out attached to the manifold). Note he goes on a lot about silicone spray....Definitely take heed of that and get yourself some to help deal with the throttle body hose and numerous electrical connectors that need undoing, and really learn how to get them apart - nothing would ruin your day more than breaking or pulling a bunch of tiny wires out of them (was the thing I was most paranoid about when I did it, along with remembering to put them all back at the end, although I had no real issues).

Once the manifold is off, you just have to move coolant and air hoses out of the way (I'd suggest dropping the throttle body one down to give yourself room to get at the bottom screws on the waterpump). And before installing the new one, really get the mating surface to the block nice and clean (with a bit of fine wet and dry paper for instance).

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on!

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
You may want to "upgrade" the plastic union to a billet union piece. I don't think anyone here has one crack but people "heard" that it could go bad. If I had known about this I would have put it in when I did mine. $20.
Fancy....I think it's more the o rings than the plastic union that's the issue with potential leaks but I might have been tempted if I'd known about that one too

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the great input @YamR1rider. I'll be doing the DSG service soon, so planning on taking the belly pan off and confirming that it is indeed the water pump leaking, then planning the repair soon after. The electrical connecters are by far the scariest part of the job for me. Terrified of messing something up that leads to a bunch of warning lights or things not working 😬

Golffff

Car(s)
Golf 1.8T MK7
Just take your time on everything and you'll be OK. Id be interested to know how much you get quoted....I bet it's quite pricey.

We were quoted $2100CAD from the Dealer.

Did it myself with the INA pump. Only problem was the union decided to dump coolant a few hours later. I'm doing the install where you keep the intake but remove the fan, TB..etc and I might be regretting that since you don't get an top view of the union. Even with a boroscope I don't find it easy to notice if the union is square or not.

Will try the Humble Mechanic technique and place the union in the Pump and locate into the cooler and feel the "pop" when it seats itself.

Interesting note, doing the removal the first time took me a solid 4 hours as I figured out the different approaches to removing the parts. The second time it took less than 2 hrs.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yeah, it's tricky with thst union whichever way you do it. I can't imagine not having the manifold off though - good effort if you've found a technique thay works for you thay way!