GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Chain Cover Leak

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
so how did it go? im about to take my valve cover off to replace the sealant as im having a missfire in cylinder 3. i want to try and do this job myself and save some money. also do i need to replace the timing chain bolts that hold the cover on when i take off the cover?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
so how did it go? im about to take my valve cover off to replace the sealant as im having a missfire in cylinder 3. i want to try and do this job myself and save some money. also do i need to replace the timing chain bolts that hold the cover on when i take off the cover?
Valve cover gasket replacement is not related to the timing chain cover gasket. The latter was straightforward, nothing out of the ordinary. Doing a valve cover gasket replacement yourself sounds intimidating. Good luck.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Valve cover gasket replacement is not related to the timing chain cover gasket. The latter was straightforward, nothing out of the ordinary. Doing a valve cover gasket replacement yourself sounds intimidating. Good luck.
Okay great! Thanks for the info 🙏

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Any new DIY attempts on this?
Bottom bolts look a bit tight, but with the right tools it might be possible to do without taking out the motor mount.
Question is, do both bolts have enough clearance to fully come out once loose? Looks like a 10 mm wrench is the way to go on those two.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Any new DIY attempts on this?
Bottom bolts look a bit tight, but with the right tools it might be possible to do without taking out the motor mount.
Question is, do both bolts have enough clearance to fully come out once loose? Looks like a 10 mm wrench is the way to go on those two.
I did not remove the motor mount.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
This week I noticed a very minor leak from the EXACT same bolt, but my immediate thought was to try and tighten the bolt and indeed it was noticibly loose.
I sprayed brake cleaner in that area and wiped it clean, tightened the bolt with a 10mm flare nut wrench and drove about 80km on the highway @ ~3k RPM.

So far no more seeping/leaking, so incase you guys experience the same thing, rather than changing the gasket right way, see if the bolt it loose and try to tighten it first.