GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I was all GRM $2024 challenge yesterday. They opened a class for cars over $2024. Every Mk7 that ran put on a smoke show.

We had two MK7s at the event yesterday that smoked like a SOB.

One had some Urotuning PCV valve (not OE) + ECS catch can that filled up nearly every run. Some kind of non-OE TIP.

The other was EQT S2 with stock PCV. Didn't catch the TIP used.

I was running the full retrofit but with the Venturi blasting into a can vented to atmosphere. Not a typical VTA setup since the venturi still makes vacuum. It worked. There are downsides for daily use but it could be a viable option in some cases.

I got maybe a tablespoon full of oil in the can. Haven't gotten a bit of anything under normal driving conditions in ~600mi up til now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
We had two MK7s at the event yesterday that smoked like a SOB.

One had some Urotuning PCV valve (not OE) + ECS catch can that filled up nearly every run. Some kind of non-OE TIP.

The other was EQT S2 with stock PCV. Didn't catch the TIP used.

I was running the full retrofit but with the Venturi blasting into a can vented to atmosphere. Not a typical VTA setup since the venturi still makes vacuum. It worked. There are downsides for daily use but it could be a viable option in some cases.

I got maybe a tablespoon full of oil in the can. Haven't gotten a bit of anything under normal driving conditions in ~600mi up til now.
I really wish I'd gotten there early. Our club did the timing and did some fun runs before competition. I've yet to drive the mk8 in anger.

Rmcnelly

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf Alltrack S
Should a dedicated "XA" thread be made?

My fastest run from yesterday:

And my codriver got me by 0.1 sec:

Looking forward to going back and forth with data this year. Need to overlay squiggly lines to compare more. Really need to get a Racecapture unit as that would speed this up greatly. Might sell my Catalyst since that would cover the cost and then work for both track and autocross.

Comparing those two runs, I *think* the car seems to do better cutting distance on the longer sweepers, which Logan did a lot more of.

First time on RE71RS, they're really good but looking forward to next time since this was their first real heat cycle.

The car is in XA due to the 034 ball joints and hood vent. Otherwise legal (with the PCV being legal-ish).

The video you posted of Logan's run looked like he went deep in the big sweeper? I was cutting it short, which seemed to save me time at other venues. What I learned from your video is I'm not trusting the tire's grip at higher speeds, and need to enter faster with part throttle.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
The video you posted of Logan's run looked like he went deep in the big sweeper? I was cutting it short, which seemed to save me time at other venues. What I learned from your video is I'm not trusting the tire's grip at higher speeds, and need to enter faster with part throttle.

He did, but not on purpose... haha.

I blew the SHIT out of that turn in a couple of my runs.

I've since trimmed my bump stops a tad more because from you can see it get all bouncy over small undulations. The front end bites a lot harder now so hopefully that translates to front end grip that doesn't go away when it's loaded up and you hit a bump.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
He did, but not on purpose... haha.

I blew the SHIT out of that turn in a couple of my runs.

I've since trimmed my bump stops a tad more because from you can see it get all bouncy over small undulations. The front end bites a lot harder now so hopefully that translates to front end grip that doesn't go away when it's loaded up and you hit a bump.
Yep, I cut a full inch out of mine on the mk7.5. Made a massive difference.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
IMG_7995.jpeg

Photo from the weekend.

-3.7ish deg of camber seems about right if the rules allow.

034 springs/Koni SA, H&R 26mm front (on stiff) + 26mm rear bars.

Kinda curious if a 28mm bar would make it better after seeing this. I suspect it might help tire wear, but not necessarily be better on the clock. Or at least not enough to definitely say it is or not.