GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 DSG vs RC350

17sport

Car(s)
17 GTI sport
Had a RC350 lined up at a light I took off quick he was trying to catch up and next light was red so we lined up. I used launch control at 2k rpm and we took off at the same time on green. First gear 0-30 we are exactly tied. (APR FWD tune limit first gear to 30psi(absolute pressure show on infotainment screen) Once shift into second I start pulling as now I'm at full 40psi on low tq tune. Pulled 1.5 car on second gear, and once shift 3rd I continued to pull until I'm at least 3 cars ahead at 80mph.
Dude was looking at my badge see what is my car and we give each other thumbs up and part ways.
I looked up RC350 only have 250ftlbs torque on dyno. Can't hang with GTI with 320ftlbs.
APR stage 1 91 tune, DSG tune. I also mixed 30% ethanol to smooth out tune probably have 10-20 more ft lbs than 91 tune specified.

Greg_mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Nice, its not the torque that won you the race though, ultimately it comes down to horsepower and weight.

17sport

Car(s)
17 GTI sport
Nice, its not the torque that won you the race though, ultimately it comes down to horsepower and weight.
Horse power is just torque x rpm. Rc350 have about 250wheel tq from 4000-6000rpm and GTI stage 1 have about 300wtq. At same rpm more tq = more hp. Can't have higher hp with a lower torque at the same rpm

Greg_mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Horse power is just torque x rpm. Rc350 have about 250wheel tq from 4000-6000rpm and GTI stage 1 have about 300wtq. At same rpm more tq = more hp. Can't have higher hp with a lower torque at the same rpm
I understand what your saying about how hp is measured, im not disputing that, but ultimately its the hp and lighter weight that won you the race. Torque is just the amount of work you can do, hp is how fast you can do that amount of work.
By this logic diesel cars would be rockets but they are not.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You
I understand what your saying about how hp is measured, im not disputing that, but ultimately its the hp and lighter weight that won you the race. Torque is just the amount of work you can do, hp is how fast you can do that amount of work.
By this logic diesel cars would be rockets but they are not.

You are correct. He is probably too young to know the adage that, torque gets you going and horsepower keeps you going.

The best version of that Lexus is slow. A stock R can easily beat it by 10 car lengths with no trouble.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
and gearing. I learned that early on.