GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This is probably an extremely stupid question, but are H&R springs usable on non DCC cars? I'm assuming you can.. looking at the stance of the B8/H&R combo.
1715349043631.png

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Going to be banging out my first coilover install this weekend using the 2x4 method.

Should I cut the bumpstops? I ordered APR's coilovers and there is no installation instructions, I contacted them and they don't have any to offer.
Is it normal for the rear collars to not be locking? The front coilovers have 2 rings to lock together, the rears only have 1 ring...is that normal?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Should I cut the bumpstops? I ordered APR's coilovers and there is no installation instructions, I contacted them and they don't have any to offer.
Is it normal for the rear collars to not be locking? The front coilovers have 2 rings to lock together, the rears only have 1 ring...is that normal?
APR designed the suspension, and bump stops are part of that. They should tell you whether the need to be cut, and to what height.

This is a snip from the Bilstein instructions for B8 install on a Golf Mk7... Fit original/ BILSTEIN mounting parts on strut in reverse sequence to removal, except for bump stop, since BILSTEIN- strut has built in bump stop. Please refer to diagram to identify which parts will be replaced with BILSTEIN- supplied components also. If there is no dust cover delivered by BILSTEIN, the original one is to be reused.

About the rear rings, there are pictures on APR's site, which I would assume are representative of the actual product. But that seems like a question they could/should easily answer.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Going to be banging out my first coilover install this weekend using the 2x4 method.

If you look at their pictures, the rear mount is a locking collar. Once you set it to height tighten it.

1715704430963.png

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
APR designed the suspension, and bump stops are part of that. They should tell you whether the need to be cut, and to what height.

This is a snip from the Bilstein instructions for B8 install on a Golf Mk7... Fit original/ BILSTEIN mounting parts on strut in reverse sequence to removal, except for bump stop, since BILSTEIN- strut has built in bump stop. Please refer to diagram to identify which parts will be replaced with BILSTEIN- supplied components also. If there is no dust cover delivered by BILSTEIN, the original one is to be reused.

About the rear rings, there are pictures on APR's site, which I would assume are representative of the actual product. But that seems like a question they could/should easily answer.
Apr doesn't tell you anything, but the bumpstops are included in the new coilovers. Again I contacted APR for installation or assembly instructions and they don't have any.
I read some people say they cut their bumpstops regardless if the coilover/spring manufacturer recommended it, some said it improved ride quality.

Others said they didn't cut them..so just not sure what to do.

As for the rear rings, there is only 1 ring on the rears but 2 on the fronts, I am not sure how to lock that?
Screenshot 2024-05-14 094541.png

^ See the yellow dots.

If you look at their pictures, the rear mount is a locking collar. Once you set it to height tighten it.

View attachment 304680
See photo above. Your photo seems different? Maybe that is their new set?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
See photo above. Your photo seems different? Maybe that is their new set?
Same thing, I bet you the split is on the backside of the mounts. This is very common in rear mounts. The ones that are not split as a locking collar have a set screw on the ledge.

1715705816446.png

1715705846386.png

1715706075282.png

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Same thing, I bet you the split is on the backside of the mounts. This is very common in rear mounts. The ones that are not split as a locking collar have a set screw on the ledge.

View attachment 304682

View attachment 304683

View attachment 304684
Sorry, what do you mean?

I wasn't able to find a set screw.

I actually just got an email back from APR, i asked them if its normal that the rears dont seam to lock in place and they said yes that is normal...

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My APR coilovers (supposedly made by Eibach) didn’t come with dust covers for the front struts.

I already installed the bearing and mount, impacted the nut on.
Should I remove the dust cover from the oem struts and transfer it over? Or just leave it without?

I live in Vancouver so lots of rain. Car sees maybe 2 days of snow a year, didn’t see any snow last year.

Also, I currently have h&r springs with stock struts. I want to go a tad bit lower than that setup. How can I measure this out on the new set?

Last edited: